Would Canada vote to be independent from the "Queen"?

SwitSof

Electoral Member
The same voting like in Australia.
The result for Australians is that majority still wants to have the close tie with UK. When I asked a friend, a Canadian, he has a theory that most Canadians don't care to even have a vote like that.
Do you reckon so?
If there were such vote, what would be the result, you reckon?
What would you vote for?

This friend also said that the Australians are rather having cultural identity that is more close related to of the Brits, whereas Canadians aren't.
I must admit I did notice when I was in univ. with exchange students from US, UK, OZ, Kiwi land and Canada, the Americans and the Canadians don't really understand the slangs shared by the Brits, the Kiwis and the OZs. Just one of the small things that is noticeable.
So I wonder how Canadians view yourselves culturally? I.e. Canada is completely different to the UK or the neighbour, the US; or is quite similar to the US cause of the distance and the tie between the 2 or ... (feel free to fill in the blanks).

Last edited:

Hamlet

Aug 25, 2006
Utah
The vote would end with the same result as Australia's--a "No" vote in regards to cutting ties with the monarchy. The monarchy generally is viewed in a positive light in Canada. Additionally, cutting ties with the monarchy is somewhat of a constitutional nightmare. How easy is it in America to change the constitution? Well, changing Canada's form of government is no easier, and perhaps harder. There are a number of things that would have to happen for Canada to cut ties with the monarchy. Not just in federal government but in povincial governments as well.

As far a cultural ties to the U.K., well, there are lots of Canadians who are from the U.K., or have parents, grandparents, etc. from there as well. Naturally, there are many Canadians who don't have familial ties to the U.K., but British institutions and traditions have survived in Canada. Sure, there is lingo and slang differences, but there is probably much, much more in common that there are differences.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Like anything else the question would be, what's in it for Canadians to do that?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The title: "Would Canada vote to be independent of the Queen" is kind of mis-leading. We are already "independent. The Queen has no say in our government in other than a titular capacity. The Queen is an apolitical head of state who isn't after our votes, and as such, is a valuable asset to the country. I would not be interested in any vote to remove the Queen from her present position in our country.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
You are right most Canadians don't care, however the whole Queen thing brings in a lot of money, as Americans like to pomp and ceremony and the tourists come to see that sort of thing. The other reason I would not want to entertain a vote on this as it would mean openning up the constitutuion, and we all know how much fun that would be right

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Its a big issue for me. To become a Canadian I have to swear allegiance to that Queen who "has no say in our government in other than a titular capacity. The Queen is an apolitical head of state who isn't after our votes."

It's simple. Stay an American. We don't want people who are uncomfortable swearing allegiance to the Queen or the King...could be either. By the same token I would have a problem with my young children doing the brainwashing bit of swearing allegiance to a flag every morning.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
And you're a MODERATOR? Sheesh.

Hang on a moment. You said you had a big issue with swearing allegiance to the Queen. I merely said I would have trouble having my young children swearing allegiance to a flag. I also said "Stay an American".......you can do that you know.

Phil B

Electoral Member
Mar 17, 2007
Brighton,UK
Its a big issue for me. To become a Canadian I have to swear allegiance to that Queen who "has no say in our government in other than a titular capacity. The Queen is an apolitical head of state who isn't after our votes."

Those are the rules - take it or leave it.

By the same token I would have a problem with my young children doing the brainwashing bit of swearing allegiance to a flag every morning.

Exactly so.

And you're a MODERATOR? Sheesh.

I thought Jaun was quite moderate in his reply to your patently bizarre point of desiring becoming a Canadian and therefore desiring to follow a Canadian way of life, but then pointing out that you don't want to because we don't have a President like your "current" country of citizenship, but you'll happily join us if we convert to "your" approved system of government.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Ok, since the Queen is only a figurehead, would the majority of Canadians be opposed to getting rid of the Lieutenant Governors & Governor General?

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Where do you get that the Queen has no say in our government? The Queen has the capacity to dismiss our Prime Minister if she deems it necessary, and/or dissolve Parlaiment. She can also refuse the passing of any bill if she deems fit. She is essentially a fail safe device. The power she could wield over this country if needed is HUGE.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Hang on a moment. You said you had a big issue with swearing allegiance to the Queen. I merely said I would have trouble having my young children swearing allegiance to a flag. I also said "Stay an American".......you can do that you know.

Quietly standing and applauding. :canada:
Canada love it or leave it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Ok, since the Queen is only a figurehead, would the majority of Canadians be opposed to getting rid of the Lieutenant Governors & Governor General?

I don't know if I would be with the majority but I would not vote to get rid of the G.G and all the L.G.s. These people/positions are part of Canada and part of our tradition.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
The point about we don't get your slang is true.A lil corrie street and doctor who solves all that rot.

Oz and new zealand do not live next door to American Telly.

Take a lil trip to a jolly old victorian England...a whole town flies the union Jack.....Cape May New Jersey.....They celebrate victorian England every day!!!!! surfs pretty good too....They sell , and i was floored at this....hermit crabs for pets8O.....

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
I don't know if I would be with the majority but I would not vote to get rid of the G.G and all the L.G.s. These people/positions are part of Canada and part of our tradition.
Yeah I loved Clarkson...total class!!! and her predessesor that died of cancer...sad i can't remeber her name.....the new one the Haitian is pretty classy too....i like her a lot....can't remeber her name either...wierd....do we really care....sure do in a Canuk sort of way....pass the beer and lets rally round the guv.....

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The discrepancy is that most Canadians have NEVER sworn allegiance to the Queen. Only those who immigrated have. I too would have an issue swearing allegiance to the British Royalty (not just the Queen since we will have King Chuck in a coupe of years).

I am also curious what is wrong with swearing allegiance to our Maple Leaf flag? Seems like a perfectly acceptable alternative to the sitting Prime Minister for example.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The discrepancy is that most Canadians have NEVER sworn allegiance to the Queen.

That's no more of a discrepancy than the fact that a born American doesn't NEED to swear allegiance to the flag to be an American (they may swear it anyway, but won't be tossed out for not having done so). I have friends who by birth are dual citizens, despite never having to swear the same pledges of allegiance that immigrants would have to.