The day the music died

triedit

inimitable
Thank goodness the sign will remain--the building has been designated a heritage site

Sam's was one of the first places I visited when I was dating Ski.

46 years is a nice run for any business. Thanks for the memories, Sniderman.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Oh the money I spent over the years in stores, in fact I still have an old 45rpm order catalogue somewhere in my music collection. Over the years I put together a collection of rock, country, jazz, blues, and old 78's that is probably worth about 70 thousand dollars.
Sam the record man would take your order and mail them to you in the old days and I did a lot of that over the years they provided real service sorry to see them go

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
You are right it was about Buddy Holly, and of course there were other that died with him that day, Ritchie Valens of Oh Donna fame and of course the Big Bopper who had the hit Chantelli Lace at the time. Most people probably wouldn't remember that a guy named Bobby Vee filled in for the concert.
Someone used it here for Sam the Record Man and I think it was fitting
And in fact it was a song by Don McLean, played it many times as a radio DJ when I needed a smoke break late at night.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
TriedIt

C'mon confess - do you have a wonderful late nite southern drawl.... husky and sweet at the same time?

You are gonna slay the Doc here....he'll be following you all over the forum asking questions... hehe

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Hey triedit, I worked those all nighter for a few years too. The stranged place I worked though was at a rock station that was upstairs from a funeral home. Used to watch the sad procession leaving down on the parking lot, and upstairs we were pounding out the hits.
If you want isolation though try the Peace River Country, I worked a country station 400 miles north of Edmonton, the winter took forever to pass by, but the people were the friendliest I ever met, next to folks from Saskatchewan.

triedit

inimitable
LOL gotta love those "new" fm stations thrown in wherever they could lease space. One rock station I worked for was above a bank. One night the alarm went off and I didnt know if it was a robbery or a fire. I tossed on an album and got the h out of there...only to discover I couldnt get back in because the door locked behind me. I had nobody's phone number, so I called my grandma because she lived next door to the sales manager. He came over at 3 am and let me back in...same station when I was working weekends...we got a blizzard (really REALLY unusual for Parkersburg, WV) and I was snowed in. One other part timer, a guy I was still training, lived very close and brought in a pizza and the two of us worked all three days til they could dig us out. Once the pizza was gone we broke into the vending machine and lived on chocolate and chips. Nobody got mad because we really didnt have a choice. The station stayed on through the whole thing when every other station eventually shut down because there was nobody able to get to it to sign it on again in the morning. We were the only 24hr FM at the time (1981). Last I heard the part timer (Doug Phelps) was still working for that same station.