What's the white rap connection?

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I think that more white people by rap just because their are more white people in Canada and the United States. As for why they like it I'll address that later.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
One of the more interesting parts in the article was the belief young white males buy rap music to feel male. To feel validated for what they are. Has society made it difficult for young males to feel strong, vital and independent?

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
One of the more interesting parts in the article was the belief young white males buy rap music to feel male. To feel validated for what they are. Has society made it difficult for young males to feel strong, vital and independent?

I didn't remember the link the first time I read this. It is long. I think it is reasonably insightful but I think the author tries to extrapolate too much. I think competition is genetically ingrained in males. Was there a time where the alpha male got the woman? In that spirit of competition we measure ourselves against others, be they our neighbors or some pop culture icon. Independents goes against social norms. More then likely if a person doesn't fit one social norm people will try to fit them into another. Not a typical guy maybe their gay.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
S2, I got the distinct idea in the article that the author felt young white males felt disenfranchised not from their culture but their gender. Rap allowed them to reclaim it. Maybe the politics of accommodation and tolerance has robbed many of our kids of their sense of identity. Maybe young white males even feel cowed by a culture that fails to respect who they are and seeing this same displacement in their parrents they choose a musical genre that restores what they feel they've lost.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
S2, I got the distinct idea in the article that the author felt young white males felt disenfranchised not from their culture but their gender. Rap allowed them to reclaim it. Maybe the politics of accommodation and tolerance has robbed many of our kids of their sense of identity. Maybe young white males even feel cowed by a culture that fails to respect who they are and seeing this same displacement in their parrents they choose a musical genre that restores what they feel they've lost.

Disenfranchisement means to take away a right. I am not sure if you chose the right world. What was the kids sence of identity before rap music? Of course we baby kids. We don't want them to grow up and as a consequence we think they are not mature enough to decide what music to listen to.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Hey, that wasn't nice!

Good to see both Glenn Beck and Anderson Cooper pitching in to bring hiphop and rap to account for their well established "don't snitch" campaign. No wonder crime rates are falling in America. No one wants to report them! Cooper had on a seasoned homicide investigator who said despite the national clearance rate of 60% for murders, the rate has dropped into "single digits" in many inner city neighbourhoods where the gangsta rap generation refuses to co-operate with police. They won't even phone the cops if their mother is attacked. One teen girl said co-operation with the police is a "crime" in her community. Sounds like something out of Baghdad.
Keep up the pressure, guys!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Tamarin, you best recognize dat you are whack! yo hating on the whyte rhymers ain't legit, you best step back before I slap you in the lip!

That is my white rap for the day.

Last edited:

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Hey, that wasn't nice!

Good to see both Glenn Beck and Anderson Cooper pitching in to bring hiphop and rap to account for their well established "don't snitch" campaign. No wonder crime rates are falling in America. No one wants to report them! Cooper had on a seasoned homicide investigator who said despite the national clearance rate of 60% for murders, the rate has dropped into "single digits" in many inner city neighbourhoods where the gangsta rap generation refuses to co-operate with police. They won't even phone the cops if their mother is attacked. One teen girl said co-operation with the police is a "crime" in her community. Sounds like something out of Baghdad.

The stop snitching message in rap seems to be a bigger concern in the media then the improper language. It is on Anderson Copper again tonight. Helpfully, more trust can be built between police and comunities.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Hey, that wasn't nice!

So, you think ALL hip hop has a negative message? Ahhh, another grand "paint it all with one brush" approach.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Durka, you might get a call from Mickey Dee's!

S2, thank Imus for ratcheting up the debate. The attack will be multi-pronged. Certainly language and behaviour codes will be in the forefront.

Snfu, hiphop has a huge audience and a huge credibility gap. I'm more than happy to see the genre and its artists under the media gun.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Durka, you might get a call from Mickey Dee's!

S2, thank Imus for ratcheting up the debate. The attack will be multi-pronged. Certainly language and behaviour codes will be in the forefront.

Snfu, hiphop has a huge audience and a huge credibility gap. I'm more than happy to see the genre and its artists under the media gun.
Obviously you don't know much about hip hop...other than what IS under the media gun. Why isn't Anderson Cooper reporting on the influential artists who are taking a positive approach...folks who treat the form as a true art? Where is he on that one?

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Obviously you don't know much about hip hop...other than what IS under the media gun. Why isn't Anderson Cooper reporting on the influential artists who are taking a positive approach...folks who treat the form as a true art? Where is he on that one?

Don't worry, they aren't going to ban Will Smith and hopefully not MnM, although MnMs newer stuff isn't as good.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
"Obviously you don't know much about hip hop...other than what IS under the media gun. Why isn't Anderson Cooper reporting on the influential artists who are taking a positive approach...folks who treat the form as a true art? Where is he on that one?"

Snfu, do you live in a closet? All the key US news journalism shows I watch have had positive input from industry reps in the last couple of weeks.
What puzzles me is your bias that hiphop is a "true art" form. How in the name of anything that might possibly make sense in this universe did you get to that assumption? I'm listenin'....