First Nations, Inuit, and Metis Food Guide

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Canada introduces food guide aimed at First Nations, Inuit and Metis people

Wed Apr 11, 6:58 PM

YELLOWKNIFE (CP) - Spurred by rising rates of obesity and Type 2 diabetes, the Canadian government has released a version of its food guide aimed at providing healthy eating tips for First Nations, Inuit and Metis people.

Federal Health Minister Tony Clement said Wednesday that issues surrounding food and healthy eating for aboriginal people weren't represented in previous issues of the food guide. The most recent revision to the general food guide, released in February, was the first in 14 years.

"Obviously, we've had some problems with increasing obesity, childhood obesity and diabetes since that time, and quite frankly, there was quite a demand from aboriginal representatives to do something specific," Clement said.

The guide incorporates both modern and traditional food choices. For example, it lists bannock as a grain product and wild plants and berries as options under vegetables and fruit.

Bill Erasmus, regional chief for the Northwest Territories with the Assembly of First Nations, said his group has been in discussions about the food guide since 2005, first with the Liberal and then the Conservative government.

"First Nation children, more than half of our children are obese," he said. "It's a huge problem."

He said many studies have shown that First Nations people who eat traditional foods and exercise are much healthier than people who eat a more typical North American diet.

"Our bodies are in tune with that, and we know that we have to have food like caribou instilled in our diet, or it affects our system."

Harriet Kuhnlein, director of McGill University's Centre for Indigenous Peoples' Nutrition and Environment, called the new food guide "quite a coup."

"It's very complicated when you're talking about native traditions from a country as big as Canada, with so many different kinds of native traditions," said Kuhnlein, who studies traditional food systems of aboriginal people both in Canada and other countries.

There are "many, many different kinds of traditional food patterns amongst our native people," she said.

"And then, superimposed upon that, you have the complexities of grocery stores or different sizes and availability of foods."

She said the guide strikes a good balance between both types of food.

"If they are eating a grocery store diet, they can find guidance in this food guide, and if they're mixing grocery store food with traditional food, they can also find how to make a good diet from the guide," she said.

Kuhnlein also pointed out that the guide addresses dietary issues specific to aboriginal people.

"Milk and dairy products are things that were not included in First Nations traditions, beyond the breastfeeding of children," she said.

The guide addresses that tradition, suggesting traditional alternatives such as wild plants, seaweed or fish with bones to substitute for the nutrients found in milk.

The guide, which talks about respecting the body and having a healthy spirit, also takes into consideration the four quadrants of health in First Nations traditions.
"The emotional, spiritual, physical, and mental aspects of health . . . here you have strong body, mind and spirit. I think it captures it very well."
Erasmus said the food guide is only a start, however.
He said traditional ways of gathering food need to be preserved so that all First Nations people have access to the type of nutrition they need to stay healthy.
For example, the practice of caribou hunting involves exercise in tracking down and killing the animal, as well as the health benefits of the meat.
"There's a physical part to it, there's an emotional, there's a spiritual aspect, a connection to the land, all of that involved," he said.
He said such activities need to be encouraged.
"We need to sit down now and talk about how we can make sure that those foods are on our table, rather than just putting out a guide and expecting people to have caribou."
-By Shannon Montgomery in Edmonton.

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Good grief. :roll:
Canada introduces food guide aimed at First Nations, Inuit and Metis people

Wed Apr 11, 6:58 PM

YELLOWKNIFE (CP) - Spurred by rising rates of obesity and Type 2 diabetes, the Canadian government has released a version of its food guide aimed at providing healthy eating tips for First Nations, Inuit and Metis people.
Didn't know these people ate any different than anyone else.

The guide incorporates both modern and traditional food choices. For example, it lists bannock as a grain product and wild plants and berries as options under vegetables and fruit.
I can't think of any native I know that couldn't figure that stuff out.

"First Nation children, more than half of our children are obese," he said. "It's a huge problem."
Um, Canadian kids in general are obese.

He said many studies have shown that First Nations people who eat traditional foods and exercise are much healthier than people who eat a more typical North American diet.
Many studies show proper diet of ANY kind and exercise keep people of ANY kind healthier.

Geeeeeeeeeeeez. People aren't stupid and this looks like the gov't views native people as being too stupid to figure out what good meals are all about. Meat is meat, veggies are veggies, etc. Good thing this Tony Clement and Shelley (wife) aren't known to each other, the poor guy'd likely not survive.

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Im not sure to laugh or cry at how stupid this sounds ,totally take a wonderful diet away from people many years ago and then try to look like your helping Im so ashamed of the government

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Food influences many things. Asians do not have history of eating much beef so have a lower rate of heart disease when sticking to local diets. Lactose intolerance is far more prevalent in Asians and natives. Northern European people have evolved to be better able to handle high fats diets. We also die more often of high fat diets. Native folk ate much more wild meats than domestic which are higher in fat content. Venison is very very lean and cannot be cooked like a beef steak. Everyone should try to eat the diets of their ancestors. Until the 20th century most people could not afford white bread, white sugar and large cuts of beef. Only the rich and nobility died of degenerative diseases. The poor may have starved to death but they did not have heart attacks caused by arterial blockage.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Actually Gilbert, I had seen a program on National Geographic or Discovery, some such thing, that discussed this very issue, about 2 years ago. They talked about the fact that if you gave an Inuit the same diet a healthy white person eats, the Inuit is still more liekly to develop diabetes and become overweight because of it. They found that anyone who was honestly First Nations, required much less starch, and much more protein. As well, as the article points out, dairy has been a big dietary problem.

The article makes it sound that this is an educational effort stemming predominantly from the native community, for the native community, so I don't quite see where the government would be to blame, other than for giving them the funding and printing what they were asked to print.

As for the bannock and berries... well, if you're going to do up a food guide with a racial emphasis, why would you leave off their cultural foods?

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Icant beive this **** --remeber the peoblo Indians --well they did a study you know the fruit and nut guys ---comingled

thats how utterly stupid this is ---if people could just stop f@#$%^^Ying with other people they would be fine

we actually might have learned how to live in peace with each other --instead of spreading diease and horrible lifestyles ---
back to basics

oh the poor savages --with thier perfect diets and ways to give back to the earth we must help them screw everthin g up so it looks like were in control

This takes the cake this is not a responsible goverment --Im getting off this wrecked train
Sorry just had to get that off my chest

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
oh the poor savages --with thier perfect diets and ways to give back to the earth we must help them screw everthin g up so it looks like were in control

This takes the cake this is not a responsible goverment --Im getting off this wrecked train
Sorry just had to get that off my chest

I'm not quite following.... why aren't the First Nations People allowed to ask for their own version of the food guide? They've been in talks with the gov since 2005, according to the article, asking them to do something. The government does something, and people get pissed and blame the government for doing what the native community asked it to do? It really doesn't make sense to me!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Actually Gilbert, I had seen a program on National Geographic or Discovery, some such thing, that discussed this very issue, about 2 years ago. They talked about the fact that if you gave an Inuit the same diet a healthy white person eats, the Inuit is still more liekly to develop diabetes and become overweight because of it. They found that anyone who was honestly First Nations, required much less starch, and much more protein. As well, as the article points out, dairy has been a big dietary problem.
I realise that stuff, Karrie. One of my interests in anthropology.
I am Irish, Shel is mostly Ojibwa. We eat a lot of protein around here both storebought and wild. I'm the one here that likes starchy stuff the most.

The article makes it sound that this is an educational effort stemming predominantly from the native community, for the native community, so I don't quite see where the government would be to blame, other than for giving them the funding and printing what they were asked to print.
Well, it looked to me like the feds were under the impression that natives haven't got a clue about diet.

As for the bannock and berries... well, if you're going to do up a food guide with a racial emphasis, why would you leave off their cultural foods?
Makes sense. They gonna develop a food guide for Canadian Hindus, Canadians specific to ocean areas, flatlanders, too?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I'm not quite following.... why aren't the First Nations People allowed to ask for their own version of the food guide? They've been in talks with the gov since 2005, according to the article, asking them to do something. The government does something, and people get pissed and blame the government for doing what the native community asked it to do? It really doesn't make sense to me!
I didn't know this til today, hun. I thought it was a federally initiated thing.
(Must be the cranky factor. Wonder how long kidneys are sposed to be bruised for :eek: )

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I didn't know this til today, hun. I thought it was a federally initiated thing.
(Must be the cranky factor. Wonder how long kidneys are sposed to be bruised for :eek: )

I have no idea how long a bruised kidney will last for, but, the bruise on my leg is over a week old, and still going strong, so I'd assume you expect even worse for kidneys. lol

I'm mighty cranky today too... pain will do that to you. Saps the life and good sense from you. lol.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Why is it a joke?

Yeah, why. Their ancestors did not user domestic beef cattle and drink milk while ours did. Asians had different diets too. Why do you think on average Northern Europeans are taller and heavier than asians. It's all about our ancestors diets. No racial crap just plain food differences.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I meant shouldn't all of us have the same guidelines regardless of race.

Thats why I said "joke"

And the ancestor diets is bs

We all live in the same food-crazed, overweight society.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada

Thats why I said "joke"

It's not BS. It's fact. Look it up. Natives do suffer more from obesity and diabetis. Same in the states. Your hung up on racial differences when all it really comes down to is diets and physical changes over the years to adapt to climate.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Thats why I said "joke"

It has to do Westman with how the people lived for thousands of years. As groups of people are separated, like animals, genetics takes a role. Genes favouring high protein diets, or high cellulose diets, etc.

It's not at all BS. I can tell you that even within the same species of fish, depending on their isolation from one another the dietary requirements are different. That's why the majority of commercial fish strains come from few geographic regions.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Thats why I said "joke"

As nice as it is that we currently live in a society that grants equal opportunites across racial lines, all races are not created equal in all things. And no, we shouldn't all have the same diet. It's a scientific fact we shouldn't. Feed me what a native should be eating, and I'd probably end up with severe ketosis resulting from a lack of the carbs my body is used to. Feed a native person the diet I eat, and it's proven they'd be more likely to become obese and develop diabetes.

How can you think that a few generations of us eating the same foods trumps hundreds of generations of us eating differently? If we developed in such drastically different areas, with such drastically different environments as to actually create unique bone structures, fat deposits, hair types, and skin colors, then why would you think our digestive systems wouldn't be subject to a few differences?

Trust me from experience, forgetting racial differences can have some very uncomfortable effects. For example, when sending your lily white kids to go spend the day with native relatives, you need to remember that said relatives don't require, thus don't think about, SUN SCREEN. Two lobster red children, coming up.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Blacks and Inuit have rounder features because a round surface has most volume for least surface area presented to either the sun or biting cold. A long thin northern european nose would burn or freeze off.

Inuit can live on fats and a few berries. We would develop all sorts of degenerative diseases they can easily avoid.

Karrie's right about the sunscreen issue too.

It's all about local climate, and local diet for 99.999% of so called racial differences.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's like when you travel to some areas, the people indigenous to that area can tolerate the food and drinks that if I were to try would make me very ill. Same deal.