Canadian Wheat Board faces possible end to its cartel

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

OTTAWA (AFP) - A western Canadian grain marketing board this week risks losing its monopoly on 10 percent of the world's malt barley, a key ingredient in beer, as pressure from Ottawa to disband mounts.
The Canadian Wheat Board, which sold 3.5 billion dollars (3.0 billion US) in barley and wheat last year, asked local farmers in a plebiscite ordered by Ottawa whether it should maintain its grip on Canadian barley exports.
The result, due in the coming days, could mean a small drop in the cost of barley in world markets, said analysts. "Beer prices won't tumble, but malt barley prices could weaken," agriculture economist Murray Fulton told AFP.
As well, it could signal the eventual end of the Canadian Wheat Board after a century of controversy, leaving only one "single desk" system for marketing grain in Australia, and bolstering the dominance of a handful of European and US firms in the competing open market system.
About 56,000 western Canadian farmers voted in the barley plebiscite.
A second vote to dismantle the marketing board's wheat cartel could follow, the government said, if the first vote goes its way, affecting 10 percent of global wheat sales and half of all durum wheat used to make pasta.
"Tens of thousands of western Canadian farmers would suddenly be competing against each other to sell to local and international buyers who would try to bid down the price," lamented Adrian Measner, a former board president and fierce proponent of maintaining the farm co-operative's local grain monopoly.
"They need to work together to market their crops, negotiate as a group ... to counter the influence of the big multinational companies that now dominate the international marketplace," Measner said.
"Canadian farmers will be the big losers if the Canadian Wheat Board is disbanded," he said, adding that companies such as Cargil, Louis Dreyfus and Archer Daniels Midland "will be the winners, there's no question."
The Canadian Wheat Board was created in the early 1900s to help Canadian farmers pool their risk during two world wars and the collapse of grain prices at the onset of the Great Depression in 1929.
Its modern rendition has survived more than a dozen US court challenges alleging unfair trade practices, internal dissent, and ongoing strife with Ottawa, its grudging financial backer in past bad growing seasons.
The latest government proposal to end its barley monopoly sparked a public outcry, court challenges, and even cost the board president his job after 31 years of service, for opposing the plan.
Several farmers were also jailed for sidestepping the marketing board, driving trucks full of grain to the United States in "border run protests" to test the limits of the agency's strict rules.
Agriculture Minister Chuck Strahl said Canadian farmers want choice and would "get a better price" for their crops in an open market, indicating that the plebiscite fulfills a Conservative election promise.
"We want to move towards more marketing choice for barley and wheat," he told AFP. "Farmers believe they do better when they have more choices on where they sell their products."
But Measler countered Strahl was comparing the board's pooled rate to fluctuating spot prices, which can be higher only at some intervals, but not on average.
The Canadian Wheat Board has sold wheat and barley to customers around the globe, mostly to Japan, China, the United States, Sri Lanka, Morocco, Algeria, and Saudi Arabia in recent years.
Support for either position is split both geographically and in terms of farm size.
Proponents of the Conservative minority government's agenda welcome more selling options.
Opponents fear stripping the board of its legal barley and eventually its wheat monopoly would leave only a shell, a voluntary marketing board with little clout in world markets.
Owners of small family farms mostly in western Saskatchewan and Manitoba provinces, without the resources to market grains internationally themselves, have come to the Canadian Wheat Board's defense.
But the trend is toward bigger commercial farms, in Alberta province, the Conservative government's heartland, which would rather go it alone.

Copyright © 2007 Agence France Presse.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Monopolies...whether it's Bell Canada...Rogers Cable or the wheat board...serve the interests of the wealthy...

Kind of like the monpoly that "churches" like to maintain with god-belief and the like...

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Monopolies...whether it's Bell Canada...Rogers Cable or the wheat board...serve the interests of the wealthy...

Kind of like the monpoly that "churches" like to maintain with god-belief and the like...

interesting. which wealthy interests does the Wheat Board serve?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Bought a loaf of bread lately?

The support industries...railroads, trucking, packaging...all these industries rely on a predictable supply and demand formula...

I must say I'm getting tired of having to explain the way the world works to people only prepared to look at one small facet of a problem and base their thinking on that one item...

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Bought a loaf of bread lately?...

that doesn't answer my question but it DOES imply it will lower commodity prices. I wasn't aware that's what the farmers are hoping for.

all the more interesting.;-)

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It will be interesting for sure. Although a lot of the farmers want to do away with the wheat board now, the next time prices collapse, I'm sure they'll be looking for some support.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
It will be interesting for sure. Although a lot of the farmers want to do away with the wheat board now, the next time prices collapse, I'm sure they'll be looking for some support.

Our fearless entrepreneurs will be at the public trough before that. The mixed market option being offered by il Duce assumes the Wheat Board will still be able to continue to rely on the Treasury Board to underwrite its contracts. Exactly when that gets shot down by a NAFTA challenge is only a question of timing.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Years ago I was doing some work for a grain operation in Southern Ontario. This family owned business (two generations) was hugely successful. One of the principles told me that the price of the bag and the plastic twist-tie that keeps the bag closed is more costly than the wheat used to make a loaf of bread. Does anyone really believe that the steak that you buy at the supermarket for (haven't bought meat for a long time so I don't know what it costs...) for "X" dollars per kilo translates into that "X" dollar amount ending up int he pocket of the farmer/rancher who raised that animal?

Isn't it far more likely that the "wheat marketing board" with close ties of mutual interest in wealth accumulation with railroad and trucking companies and packaging companies and inspection facilities and refrigeration companies and and and...gobble up much more of that "X" dollar amount than the actual producer ever sees?

We have a system of economics that rewards many other people before it rewards the producer. People who've done little to nothing in producing the product...advertisers and media...but who reap the benefits of the product...

Business dontcha know...

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
...Isn't it far more likely that the "wheat marketing board" with close ties of mutual interest in wealth accumulation with railroad and trucking companies and packaging companies and inspection facilities and refrigeration companies and and and...gobble up much more of that "X" dollar amount than the actual producer ever sees?...

please

If you want to question the Wheat Board's efficiency back it up with something besides rhetoric. afa profits go, what profit they do make is a producer resource that carries forward. That's the whole point of its being a cooperative.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I haven't looked at the stats, however if it was so successful and worked so well...why are we discussing the issue of it no longer operating?

If a system is developed that meets the needs of the producers and the society in which that production and all the subsidiary businesses prosper...why would the Wheat Board or any "successful" construct be abandoned?

If it ain't broke....

Why is this a discussion if everything is going so smoothly?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Bitwhys

I don't know anything about the Wheat Board. Educate me. Does it work or has it worked and if it did why doesn't it now?

Why would a construct like the wheat board be regarded as necesary at some point then later on be regarded as unnecessary? What has changed? I'm just a slow moronic kind of guy...help me out here...give me some fact based rationale why this construct was formed in the first place then outline for me why it's now regarded as un-needed?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Soooooo there aren't any facts....no record of the Wheat Board to reference....

If it's as useless as the NFTA accord and as easily manipulated I'd say we're better off without it...

Was the Wheat Board created by people with an interest in personal accumulation of wealth and power...was it created to give the average wheat producer an opportunity in the larger marketplace...was it useful in keeping Canadians jobs and economy active and growing or was it stifling and counter-productive?

Is the question of presenting facts and argument based on those facts so difficult that there's a preference for emotional bias toward ignoring fact in favor of sentiment...?

Perhaps it's just not worth talking about in the first place....?

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
perhaps you can talk your mom into unblocking Google.

I'm not your research monkey.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Bitwhys

No your not my research monkey...

You're someone who'd rather have someone else do your work for you.