English First'ers: Do you know the French language?

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Just wondering.

I was FORCED, to take French class in Grades 4 through 8.

I could quit in Grade 9.

And 3/4s of my Grade quit in Grade 9 when they could.

Is forcing kids to learn a language a good way about going to get kids learning French?

I know from Grade 4-8, the teaching and having it forced, students literally HATED it...

I am sure my school wasn't the only one.

And, all I know is very little French, just the bare basics...

And the other issue with Anglaphones is: The rest of the world is learning English!

I mean English is our universal launguage due to its importance in business and politics. Thats another thing the deters kids from bother to want to learn.

And now, some person wants ALL university students to know French to enter university.

Is this force the language on us technique the right way to do it?

I don't think so.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Learn french and you can get a cushy job in the civil service. Good union wages, benefits and pension. Learning a second language is always a good idea. Opens up a lot of doors for some people.

No to mention the strippers really like it if you can say even a few words of french.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I think it is great for kids to learn a language. I am not sure if it needs to be French. There are also a lot of people that speak mandarin and Spanish in this country. The real question though is, is a second language an essential skill that people will need in their future carrier. In education we try to fit everyone to a particular mold but perhaps by doing so we are inhibiting their growth:

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
You were also forced to take geography/history, math, science, and English (though I have to question the success of the latter). Hate those?

And who is "some person?" Sounds kinda cryptic.

Anyways, I'm sure your exact argument is being made on all those in other countries who, thanks to the dominance of the Internet, are being forced to learn English against their will. Think the Natives in religious schools were keen on the language? That is truly forcing a language on someone; one class a day for an hour eight months of the year? Not so much.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
How can you be forced to learn a language against your will except at school?

Most countries that with lots of English-speakers have a huge economic advantage over their competitors as English is THE lingua franca of the world. To be successful these days you need to be able to have knowledge in English. That's why India has an advantage over China thanks to its millions of English-speakers and is one of the reasons why they are grateful to the British Empire.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I think if they had interesting subjects to learn through french it may pick up better. Me being french, moved to the states and started my education there. When I came back I continued my education in English. While in school the french class that was given to us was pathetic. For one being a Quebecer it was the french from France edition, which made us want to gag. The stories was like the ones told for Kindergardnet. Tabernakle c'etais plate !
Any language learnt is a plus. I hate translations when I see a movie.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I,d like to learn french but I'd have to be completely emmersed in it. Is there small village environments somewhere in Quebec that cater to this, and if so what would it cost, or is there some sort of bumbkin exchange programe for village idiots. I'd like to learn spanish the same way, I had intended to go to Gautemala for that purpose but became broken before trip time.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Save some money, don't move .Hire a french maid and "immerse" your self completely in that language

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Well part of it was my French teacher was pathetic.

It was EASY. And we did kindergarten work sheets in Grade 8.

And we danced to really stupid songs.

All I know is:

Je ' ma appele _____

Coma ca va?
Cava Bien!
Com ci com ca
Cava mal!

Jes preferes pizza!
---- aime-----
----- ne aime pas ----

thats all I remember..

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Save some money, don't move .Hire a french maid and "immerse" your self completely in that language
I thought about that for a while but it always comes up poverty immersion, I,d find it easier to concentrate if I didn,t involve a french maid in the study.It might improve the head exercise though, I,d have to spend a lot of attention and concentration and empathy and time and no I think a small Quebec village with reasonable lodgings and ale would be more comfy for me.I hear the summers in Quebec are nice.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I wish I could have had Spanish as an option.

For my dream to live in the USA on day, a Spanish credit would actually have been useful.

I have no wish of working for the government, so French was a cut from me on day one.

Their were 55 students in my grade who took French, only 9 of them took Grade 9 French.

Kids seem to have a hate for the language...

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I wish I could have had Spanish as an option.

For my dream to live in the USA on day, a Spanish credit would actually have been useful.

I have no wish of working for the government, so French was a cut from me on day one.

Their were 55 students in my grade who took French, only 9 of them took Grade 9 French.

Kids seem to have a hate for the language...

[FONT=&quot]Both Spanish and mandarin would be much more useful languages for me to learn as well. Working in an engineering company in Calgary I work with much more people that speak those languages then I do with people that speak French. Do you know the CRTC is charging people that try to get Spanish TV programming though their satellite dishes?[/FONT]

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
This is an example of a short paragraph in english that was put into a automated translator. Then put back into the automated translator amd translated back to english. I learned this from Suk Yung Lee at the CBC. It should be very wrong in the end

C'est un exemple d'un paragraphe court en anglais qui a été mis dans un traducteur automatisé. Alors mis de nouveau dans le traducteur l'amd automatisé traduit de nouveau à l'anglais. J'ai appris ceci de Suk Yung Lee au CBC. Il devrait être très erroné à la fin

It is an example of a paragraph runs in English who was put in an automated translator. Then put again in the translator the again translated automated amd at English. I learned this from Suk Yung Lee to the CBC. It should be very erroneous at the end

Oh ya. Learn French. Don't leave it to Google.:)