3,100 marijuana plants seized at Ontario mushroom farm

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

Eight people were arrested after police busted what they believe is the largest indoor marijuana grow operation ever found in eastern Ontario.
Ontario Provincial Police seized 3,100 marijuana plants from the Imperial Mushroom Farm in North Stormont, Ont., on Tuesday, said a news release issued Wednesday.
The release called the operation "the largest indoor marihuana [sic] grow ever in eastern Ontario."
Police said they also seized from the farm an estimated $230,000 in lighting systems, $400,000 in building supplies and an isolation transformer.
They estimated the farm would have earned millions of dollars annually if it had been in full production.
The people arrested were all charged under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act with production of marijuana, and possession of marijuana for the purpose of trafficking, the release said.
They ranged in age from 26 to 54 and are from the greater Toronto area, Ottawa and rural eastern Ontario.

Copyright © 2007 CBC

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
Eight people were arrested after police busted what they believe is the largest indoor marijuana grow operation ever found in eastern Ontario.
Ontario Provincial Police seized 3,100 marijuana plants from the Imperial Mushroom Farm in North Stormont, Ont., on Tuesday, said a news release issued Wednesday.
The release called the operation "the largest indoor marihuana [sic] grow ever in eastern Ontario."
Police said they also seized from the farm an estimated $230,000 in lighting systems, $400,000 in building supplies and an isolation transformer.
They estimated the farm would have earned millions of dollars annually if it had been in full production.
The people arrested were all charged under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act with production of marijuana, and possession of marijuana for the purpose of trafficking, the release said.
They ranged in age from 26 to 54 and are from the greater Toronto area, Ottawa and rural eastern Ontario.

Copyright © 2007 CBC

i wonder why they just dont make it legal. you can buy booze and beer and that seems to be okay so why not weed? wouldnt the government be able to make allot of money from selling weed in controlled ways like booze?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Woman, 68, who put cannabis in casseroles guilty of growing drug

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Jeevan Vasagar[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Thursday March 8, 2007[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]The Guardian[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Elderly woman put cannabis in her casseroles[/FONT]

A pensioner who stirred cannabis into her casseroles to ease her depression and aching limbs was ordered to carry out 250 hours of unpaid work after she was convicted of growing and possessing the drug yesterday.

Outside court, Patricia Tabram, 68, said she would continue to defy the law despite the fact that her conviction could lead to her being evicted from her housing association bungalow.

She added: "I have learned that the English court system is a shambles. I'm going to go home now and have a nice cannabis dinner - I need it to relieve my pain. I'm not a drug addict, and the only thing I'm addicted to is Maltesers."

At Carlisle crown court, Judge Barbara Forrester told Tabram, of Humshaugh, Northumberland, that she must pay £1,000 costs. She grew four cannabis plants in her wardrobe and kept powdered cannabis in her kitchen to put in various dishes.

The court heard that she used the drug to fight the depression she has suffered since the death of her son in 1975. It also eased aches and pains resulting from two car crashes, she said. Tabram claimed that adding cannabis to hot chocolate gave her five hours without pain, and said she did not want to take prescription drugs, which she said caused her side-effects.

Earlier, the judge said she accepted Tabram was only growing the drug for personal use. She said: "It is accepted that the cannabis was for your personal use and you used it to self-medicate."

Tabram, who used to run a restaurant and stood for parliament in 2005 on a pro-cannabis ticket, was convicted of possession with intent to supply two years ago_On the first day of her latest trial, on Monday, she smuggled bags of cannabis into court in her bra. The bags were listed as items of evidence and produced by her when she spoke from the witness box.

She has been supported during the trial by pro-cannabis campaigners including Mark and Lezley Gibson, from Alston, Cumbria, convicted last year of making and distributing cannabis-laced chocolate bars to multiple sclerosis sufferers.

After yesterday's conviction, Mrs Gibson said: "I am devastated for her - I cannot believe that juries are so spineless ... The jury has not taken into account the fact that she is ill because the judge did not let them." In her summing up, the judge said that "the defence of medical necessity has never been a defence".

guardian.co.uk