Bring on the Big Mac

dude1981

Feb 9, 2007
LONDON, ON.
By Megan Leach
TORONTO (CP) - Can a Royal dissing by Prince Charles take some of the fun out of a Happy Meal? With all respect, apparently not.
"It's just a fast-food place - I don't think it's bad," said Matthew Davison, 26, who was chowing down on a cheeseburger in Halifax.
"It's a media ploy," said a McDonald's diner in Toronto who preferred to remain anonymous. "He needed something to say. I don't take it seriously."
Prince Charles, an organic farmer and vocal advocate of pesticide-free foods, has suggested banning McDonald's is the key to a better diet.
"Have you got anywhere with McDonald's?" he was quoted earlier this week by Britain's Press Association.
Charles was chatting with a nutriontist during a tour of a diabetes centre in the United Arab Emirates
"Have you tried getting it banned? That's the key."
McDonald's quickly called the Prince's remarks "off the cuff."
The company's U.K. spokesman Nick Hindle said "other Royal Family members have probably got a more up to date picture of us."
He added that the Prince's comments are "disappointing" because Charles "is clearly unaware of some of the moves" the company has made to improve the nutrition and variety of its menus.
McDonald's has gone to great lengths to change it's image of selling fatty fare.
In the aftermath of Supersize Me, the award-winning documentary which followed the effects of a 30-day Mickey Dee's diet, the international chain introduced carrot sticks, salads and yogurt among other items to its menu.
But the lure of the Big Mac continues.
"I don't do it very often, maybe a couple of times a month. I feel the need once in a while," confessed Mike Mulvenna, a Toronto resident frequenting a McDonald's on busy Yonge Street.
He said McDonald's was unfairly "singled out because they're No. 1."
That said, Mulvenna couldn't help but admit to agreeing with the Prince's basic health concerns.
Added Jordan Dubuc, 23, a computer technician in Edmonton: "It's unfair to target McDonald's specifically. There's tons of places out there like it, but I understand the rational behind (calling for a ban)."
Chantal Acheson, 28, of Halifax suggested forcing all restaurants to make healthier food, such as banning trans fats.
"They're on the right idea but I don't think that you have to ban McDonald's - you're dealing with adults," she said on her way out of an outlet after eating some chicken McNuggets and fries.
"I don't think it's the smartest way to go about things."

Copyright © 2007 Canadian Press

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
We have two combatants here: the fat food suppliers and the fat. Let the blame rest with the latter. It's just a twist on the old saw: guns don't kill people, people do.