karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Canadians waiting for winter, wondering how it will affect national identity

Sat Jan 6, 5:58 PM

By James Keller

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/070106/national/wea_wacky_weather
on error resume nextIf Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5"))) ThenElseer_fs = 1End If
HALIFAX (CP) - Canada's typically harsh winter weather continued to spare most of the country over the weekend as mild conditions prevailed instead of the snow and deep freeze many would expect at the start of January.

And while many cheerfully enjoyed the unseasonal treat, others pondered what it all means for Canada's national identity.

Asin Khan, 26, of Halifax said this winter has been a stark change from what he remembers in his youth.

"Fourteen years ago, we used to get extreme snow in the winter - really long winters with deep, deep snow - but lately we're lucky to get a white Christmas," said Khan, seeking cover from a steady rain.

"It is quite alarming, but I'm sure we'll get a couple of storms in the next couple of months."

Climatologists have predicted 2007 will be the warmest year on record, but Canadians who have been trading their parkas for T-shirts over the past few weeks likely don't need experts to tell them something is up.

Snow is a rarity in many regions this season, with ski hills and tourist operators complaining the weather has been melting away their bottom line.

In Ottawa, the Rideau Canal, billed as the world's longest skating rink, still isn't frozen.

Environment Canada senior climatologist David Philips says the weather is gradually becoming warmer but Canadians shouldn't think current conditions herald a new winter reality.

"You can't use this as a forecast; you can't say this is the beginning of balmy winters from now on," says Phillips.

"I think this is in fact a preview, a dry run of the normal winter that we'll see in 2030, 2040."

Phillips says several factors have likely contributed to the wacky winter, including El Nino, the cyclical southerly winds that bring warmer weather up from the United States.

Jacques Veillette of Montreal, who has taken advantage of the change by riding his bike instead of taking the bus, doesn't think Canadians should be worried just yet about losing their identity as a hardy, cold-weather population.

"A lot of Canadians and Quebecers go down to Florida in winter and that doesn't put the national identity in peril," says Veillette on a break from a bike ride in the city's Mount Royal Park.

Elsewhere in the park, near a slushy pond that's usually a hot spot for skaters, Amirousche Bemmerar agrees, but points out the changing climate is having some widespread implications.

"If you talk about it from nature's perspective, it's lost some of its appeal (in winter)," says Bemmerar.

Bill Gough, a climatologist at the University of Toronto, suspects warmer winters could change how Canadians relate to the typically harsh season, especially as it becomes easier to live through.
"I think we really do define ourselves by the weather - it's the first thing we say in our conversations," says Gough.
"If you go to a literary route, Margaret Atwood has this whole theory that for Canadians, survival is our identity. And it's becoming less true. It's easier to survive."
Aroka Kushner, owner of a jewellery stand on a high-traffic street in downtown Vancouver, wonders how all this talk of mild weather will affect her city.
Vancouver was sitting at a seasonable nine degrees on Saturday, with people taking advantage of a rare sunny and dry day after weeks of record-breaking wind and rain storms.
"Vancouver's different because we usually get rain and we don't get much snow," says Kushner. "I don't think Vancouver identifies with the ice fishing and everything."
In Toronto, where temperatures were expected to continue hovering a few degrees above freezing for the next few days, Sarah Campbell seemed perplexed.
"It's kind of weird," says Campbell, who is more accustomed to the mild weather of her native Scotland. "This time last year, it was snowstorms."
She says she's most concerned about Canadians of a different sort.
"I just think about the poor polar bears. I feel badly for them."
Meanwhile, Quebec's Green party used the warm January weekend to score some political points.
The party threw what it called a Picnic in January in Montreal's Mount Royal Park on Saturday.
Picnic-goers, who were forced inside because of rain, were treated to ice cream and maple syrup to mark the spring-like temperatures.
"We grasped the opportunity just to remind people that climate change is not going to go away," said party leader Scott McKay.
"It's going to continue, it's accelerating and actually we have to do something about it."

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Hmmmm, we have a national identity? And it might be lost? We did have one in the 60's but that was a long time ago and the people that built it and supported it are mostly gone. But if the snow returned we'd have one? Or maybe if I could break a giant icicle from the roof, like when I was a kid, and wave it boldly at the world maybe then we'd have one too. But if it's lost so easily was it ever really here?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hmmmm, we have a national identity? And it might be lost? We did have one in the 60's but that was a long time ago and the people that built it and supported it are mostly gone. But if the snow returned we'd have one? Or maybe if I could break a giant icicle from the roof, like when I was a kid, and wave it boldly at the world maybe then we'd have one too. But if it's lost so easily was it ever really here?

'Wow it's cold where they live' strikes me more as how OTHERS identify Canadians. Not so much how we identify ourselves. Poutine and tourtiere and toques and tim hortons and beer and hockey and beavers and buffalo and canoes and saskatoons count for nothing? Not to mention Canadian inventions.... penicilin comes to mind. Surely these things don't evaporate along with the frozen water lying on the ground?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Somewhere out there is something that's salvageable and it's called the national identity. Now and then the major tv networks get together and launch an attempt to instill one. The problem with having a government that's more proprietor than manager is that so little is given to the idea of a public sensibility and public pride. We're owned and usually do what we're told.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Positive stereotypes are part of a countries national identity. There is no denying that the climate of Canada effects our culture. Our passion for winter sports. Our good sense in foot wear. Our griping about potholes. I truly miss the snow. This rain and sleet is depressing. I will take a cool crisp snow covered landscape any day over rain and mist.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I will take a cool crisp snow covered landscape any day over rain and mist.

I agree one hundred percent. I've lived in Northern Alberta most of my life, and Northern BC the last couple years. I love a sunny winter day... -20, -40, I don't care. Dress right, and go play. I can't handle the dreary rain during the winter. I don't think I could take a winter with no frost covered trees.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
It's not even worth going XC skiing unless it is -7C or colder, the snow is too wet. Ice gets pressure cracks and does not form well for ice fishing. Even toboganning as a kid is better in cold dry snow. I'm an not a snowmobiler but I bet wet snow clogs tracks and sticks to skis.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm an not a snowmobiler but I bet wet snow clogs tracks and sticks to skis.

Actually, I've found that for snowmobiling, the really powdery snow is the worst for me, I like when it's a bit warmer, but that's because I'm a scared chick who's not willing to go crazy break neck speeds.

Another major complaint of mine.... once it's about -5 or warmer, the vehicles get so damn filthy!