Ottawa Chief Pontiac, first class Native General

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

Ottawa Chief Pontiac
1712-1769

Photo: Courtesy of the Smithsonian, National Museum of the American Indian
Pontiac, born on the Maumee River, was the son of an Ottawa father and an Ojibway mother. By 1775 he had become a chief with great power of organization. He traveled widely urging the Indians to organize and remove the Europeans, he likely fought against Braddock in 1755. With his Ottawas, Ojibways and Pottawaton, he formed his conspiracy to overthrow the English rule by taking their forts. He almost successed. Forts Michellimackinac, Sandusky, Miami, Ouitanon, Presque Isle, LeBouef and Venango fell and many people were massacred. Forts Pitt, Niagara, Ligonier and Detroit held out and Pontiac's plan collapsed. He was pardoned by the English.
In fear that he was about to organize further hostilities among the Illinois Indians, he was stabbed to death by a Kaskaskia tribesman at Cahokia. In retaliations, the Potawatanis practically exterminated the Illinois.
Pontiac achieved his fame by his powerful organizing ability and by his six months siege of Fort Detroit. An Ojibwa girl told Major Gladwyn, Commander of the fort, of a strategy to be used by the Indians to get into the fort and take it.
The English were ready and Pontiac failed. He was one of the most remarkable men of his race in American history.
"If you are French....join us. If you are English, we declare war against you. Let us have your answer."
He said this after the end of the French and Indian War and before his attacks.
The Ohio Historical Society Provides the following:
Chief Pontiac was born circa 1720. His father was a member of the Ottawa Indians, and his mother was Chippewa. His family raised Pontiac as an Ottawa, although he had numerous friends among his mother's people. Little is known of his early years. He probably traded with the French merchants that moved into modern-day Michigan and the Ohio Country in the late 1600s and 1700s. By 1755, he had become a chief of the Ottawas.
Pontiac subscribed to the religious beliefs of Neolin, a prophet among the Delaware Indians during the 1760s. Neolin encouraged his fellow Indians to forsake all English goods and customs. He felt that the natives' dependence on these items had infuriated their gods. The reason why the Native Americans in the Ohio Country currently suffered at the hands of the English was because they had forgotten the true ways of their people. European ways would condemn the Indians to the natives' equivalent of hell. Indians had to separate from white ways, not become dependent on them. Interestingly, although Neolin urged the natives to reject all European customs, missionaries from the Moravian Church heavily influenced his views of the Great Spirit.
Pontiac concurred with Neolin's views but also felt the Native Americans had to remain militarily strong to drive the Europeans out of the Ohio Country. This became especially important with the French Indian War's conclusion in 1763. The Treaty Of Paris (1763) turned all French lands in North America over to the English. Natives feared the loss of their traditional ally and also believed that British settlers would flood the Ohio Country. To prevent the incursion of whites, Pontiac and the Ottawas encouraged Ohio Country natives to rise up en masse in 1763. The Ottawas attacked Fort Detroit in May 1763. Most people view this as the beginning of Pontiac's Rebellion. The Shawnee Indians, the Munsee Indians, the Wyandot Indians, the Seneca Indians, and the Indians also raided English settlements in the Ohio Country and in western Pennsylvania during 1763. In the autumn of 1764, the English military took the offensive against the natives. Colonel John Bradstreet and Colonel Bouquet each launched invasions of the Ohio Country from Pennsylvania. Both men easily subdued the native population. In essence, Pontiac's Rebellion ended in the autumn of 1764, but Pontiac did not formally surrender to the English until July 1766. The English promised him no harm as long as he agreed never to wage war against the British again. Pontiac spent the remainder of his life with his family on the banks of the Maumee River. In 1769, a fellow Native American murdered Pontiac. The English may have paid the man to kill Pontiac to deprive the Ottawas of one of their leaders. It may also have been a group of Native Americans who were upset with Pontiac's refusal to war against the English. Pontiac's death, like most of his life, remains a mystery. His dream of a united Native American front against the Europeans did not end with him, however. Other native leaders, such as Tecumseh and Little Turtle, would also try to form Indian confederations to stop the westward expansion of white settlers in the late 1700s and early 1800s.

http://www.danielnpaul.com/ChiefPontiac-Ottawa.html

m_levesque

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Ottawa Chief Pontiac
1712-1769

Photo: Courtesy of the Smithsonian, National Museum of the American Indian
Pontiac, born on the Maumee River, was the son of an Ottawa father and an Ojibway mother. By 1775 he had become a chief with great power of organization. He traveled widely urging the Indians to organize and remove the Europeans, he likely fought against Braddock in 1755. With his Ottawas, Ojibways and Pottawaton, he formed his conspiracy to overthrow the English rule by taking their forts. He almost successed. Forts Michellimackinac, .html

Why are you so busy posting all tis Indian stuff anyway? Is this an interest of yours perhaps?

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Amazing, simply amazing. It seems to me we lost our spirituality our congruity and our loyalties all at the same time. Were we that naive? Great warriors slaughtered........it makes my heart hurt.

m_levesque

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Bear is a Native Canadian, so hence his interest in his peoples' culture and history. Do you find the topics objectionable? You didn't say so, but I am just curious.

Not at all, I was just curious because the poster seems rather one sided. Even in m short time on these forums I've noticed all he/she posts are related to Indian issues or history

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Why are you so busy posting all tis Indian stuff anyway? Is this an interest of yours perhaps?
I'm not really busy, I just like sharing our rich history. Although my personal knowledge of Native history is good, I keep learning more everytime I'm forced to defend me and my peoples to the bigots or uneducated. I only strive to enlighten. So yes it would be an interest of mine.

What are your historical or cultural interests?

Yes and mine and a great deal of other people :) Thank you for asking :) psssst Bear? Ive got to get to Office Depot for more paper ;)
That warms my heart self. It makes me feek good, when the stuff I post means something to someone.
Bear is a Native Canadian, so hence his interest in his peoples' culture and history. Do you find the topics objectionable? You didn't say so, but I am just curious.
Thanx for watching my 6 sanctus. Merry Christmas sir.

Amazing, simply amazing. It seems to me we lost our spirituality our congruity and our loyalties all at the same time. Were we that naive? Great warriors slaughtered........it makes my heart hurt.
I'm not sure if it was naivete, but then again, I'm not sure if I grasp the difinition of the word fully. I see it as innocence, we were un-aware of the mechanisms working against us, and the vast effects that would linger for generations. Not to mention the mutations it would cause amonst our peoples, as they adopted the European ways, more and more.

I take issue with some of the historical accuracy of this piece though. I highly doubt the Seneca rose up without the rest of the Haudenosuanee, or the approval of the Grand Council. The fact that I beleive during this time, the 6 Nations were at peace with the British, if the any Nation in the Confederacy were to act against the British without the approval of the Grand Council, they would have ended up in the same boat as the Kahnasatake Mohawks. The fact that this article only mentions the Seneca of the 6 Nations, leads me to believe that it may have only been a few members of the Nation, as apposed to the whole of the Seneca Nation, making a stand.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Not at all, I was just curious because the poster seems rather one sided. Even in m short time on these forums I've noticed all he/she posts are related to Indian issues or history
That is not true at all.

I did at first, but it seemed for not, as the majority of the members seemed enlightend. It wasn't until I saw an imbalance, that I began my exercise of education. Then the question of Quebec sovereignty came up, and that drew my attention to an old plight, and felt it could be addressed here.

The majority of my posts have been on support of our Military, Israel, The UN, The US, etc. The Native slant is a relatively recent move, brought back by a slew of uneducated commentary and a lack of knowledge surrounding the Native peoples of Canada. I merely wish to share our history. Building a bridge of knowledge is rarely a wasted effort.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I guess my meaning was more like "childlike wonder" I cant help to think if we just slaughtered them as the came offf the boat! How different would it all be now? I must have been a fierce brave in a past life. AND a very young girl waiting for her brave to come home. Many tears on watered many acres. Again its just so sad. To loose a whole culture because of arrogance of those that believed in only one path. My blood boils over it. LOL maybe thats........well thats a fight I'll never win alone.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I guess my meaning was more like "childlike wonder" I cant help to think if we just slaughtered them as the came offf the boat! How different would it all be now? I must have been a fierce brave in a past life. AND a very young girl waiting for her brave to come home. Many tears on watered many acres. Again its just so sad. To loose a whole culture because of arrogance of those that believed in only one path. My blood boils over it. LOL maybe thats........well thats a fight I'll never win alone.
I thought that when I was young. I thank my lucky stars, that I had a Grand Father who was as wise and even tempered, as he was hard. I do not remember the exact question I posed to him, nor do I remember the exact answer he gave, but I remember the context as clear as a bell. It is like the reason, I do not sit along side my cousins in the MWS.

My Grand Fathers viw was...

If we killed them all as they came ashore, what would the result be. More ships, more soldiers? No, the result is likely more close to home. You my little Ohkwai, would not be. Nor would I.

He served as a Medic in WWII(LWF) in both the European and after the end of the war, the Pacific theaters, as well as Korea(LWF). Although, he never patted himself on the back. He spent months on those hospital ships, tending to the sick and injured from the Japanese POW camps. Something of which hung on to his heart throughout the rest of his life. Which was likely the reason for his even handedness and peaceful wisdom. So I will pat him on the back.

Colonization, was inevitable, if we had waged war on the men as they came ashore, would he have been born? Would I?

I will not rewrite history to turn the tides on colonization, I take pride in my roots, be they English, French, Dutch or Haudenosaunee. I am here, I am now. I will make do with what I have and fight to change, what is wrong in the here and now.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I thought that when I was young. I thank my lucky stars, that I had a Grand Father who was as wise and even tempered, as he was hard. I do not remember the exact question I posed to him, nor do I remember the exact answer he gave, but I remember the context as clear as a bell. It is like the reason, I do not sit along side my cousins in the MWS.

My Grand Fathers viw was...

If we killed them all as they came ashore, what would the result be. More ships, more soldiers? No, the result is likely more close to home. You my little Ohkwai, would not be. Nor would I.

He served as a Medic in WWII(LWF) in both the European and after the end of the war, the Pacific theaters, as well as Korea(LWF). Although, he never patted himself on the back. He spent months on those hospital ships, tending to the sick and injured from the Japanese POW camps. Something of which hung on to his heart throughout the rest of his life. Which was likely the reason for his even handedness and peaceful wisdom. So I will pat him on the back.

Colonization, was inevitable, if we had waged war on the men as they came ashore, would he have been born? Would I?

I will not rewrite history to turn the tides on colonization, I take pride in my roots, be they English, French, Dutch or Haudenosaunee. I am here, I am now. I will make do with what I have and fight to change, what is wrong in the here and now.

You have such a rich family history. I have nothing but shadows that haunt my heart. Thats why I actively seek the path of knowledge and truth. I sound high handed and aery faery but Oh Bear theres such joy in the great spirit (Pan) and mother earth (Fae) See you can interchange any name you like its all the same. I want to teach the world the peace in my heart when I sit calm under an oak. Just like those warriors. But I too get angry and sad and I'll sit over the river and cry waiting for a brave to come home from a time that I want to rejuvinate! No wonder our men drink! sorry I go off on tangents.