We're not Americans

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I beg to differ, we are AMERICANS. We live in North America that makes us Americans. It's the people to the south that use the name of a continent as if they had the monopoly. They seem to forget that they are not alone in North America. They are the United States of America and we are Canada of America.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
I beg to differ, we are AMERICANS. We live in North America that makes us Americans. It's the people to the south that use the name of a continent as if they had the monopoly. They seem to forget that they are not alone in North America. They are the United States of America and we are Canada of America.

In French we are slowly starting to use the word "États-Unien" instead of the word "Américain" and I think that's a good thing. In English the equivalent would be to use the word "United Statesian". It might sound a bit odd or silly but I think it's important we use appropriate terms that adequately represent reality. When we speak of Americans, we should at least always refer to them as "US Americans".

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
USonians.

Everybody wants to be called Americans in this hemisphere.

That's just typical American arrogance.

I don't want to be called American. I'm BRITISH. BRITISH. Not some colonial. I'm BRITISH and, as someone once said, being British is like "winning the lottery of life."

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
I'd like to mention, before I confuse the matter even more. That I am in fact ENGLISH and certainly not automatically BRITISH as the blackleaf has just stated. See how confusing this becomes?....I am English first, at an irrited pinch I might be called British, but certainly not European, which is the continent I belong in.

So I suppose I can see the penguin's point of view..........honest guv'nor (in my best shoddy Dick Van Dyke impression)

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
That's just typical American arrogance.

I don't want to be called American. I'm BRITISH. BRITISH. Not some colonial. I'm BRITISH and, as someone once said, being British is like "winning the lottery of life."

We're not colonials anymore, you got your asses whooped, remember? :D

I can't believe we're discussing this American issue again. The Europeans and more specifically the Britsh began referring to the inhabitants of the 13 colonies as Americans. This started just before the War of Jenkin's Ear. If you now have a problem with it, suck it up. The world called us that, we didn't come up with it.

The conductor

Feb 12, 2006
Were Canadians!!! Get it. Are country is in North America. That does not make us Americans. Even though some people are starting to act like Americans, it does not mean that everyone is.
I am a very proud Canadian. I do not forget my hertiage though.
That is what makes Canada great.