Torn in two.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I wasn't sure as to where to put this post, but I settled on culture. As I thought of how many must feel torn between their loyalties and beliefs, under the multicultural ideals of our great nation.

As may of you know, I have campaigned for great self accountablity among my fellow Natives, as well as for an end to the waste, theft and corruption.

You may also know that I do not fully support some of the land claim protests and the violence that usually follows.

but what you may not know is, I'm torn in two on the latter of those two.

I was raised by my traditional Haudenosaunee(Six Nation/Iroquois) Grand Parents. I learned the old ways, I grew up being taught about the Longhouse and the Great Law. So I lean in favour of the ways that, that would intail. But I have cousins in the MWS in Quebec. That particular branch of the family tree is seen as the blacksheep, but we all still communed together as kids and still to this day, meet regularily. I see their point of view and to some extent agree with it. I was just raised a different way. I respect the Council of the Six nations. Something they do not, but there too, I see why.

I watched the news during the Oka crisis, and felt a deep pride in my heart as I watched friends and family man the lines and face down the authorities. I did it in silence, as I was a member of the Canadian Armed forces at the time. In fact I would later join the Royal 22nd, yes I see the irony.

I wanted very much to be there at the time, but my Father and Grand Father put it quite clearly, that I had my whole life ahead of me, this was not going to be the last battle, I was to stay where I was and continue to do what I was doing. So I did. Did I regret it? Yes and no. Torn in two.

But this is my problem, I was taught the Great Law, something that the MWS of Oka and Kanehsatake seem to be missing. They walked away from the Council and the circle of the Great Law's protection. I didn't and won't. But I see why they did for the most part. Apart from the corruption that abounds in that particular part of the First Nations, they do have some legitimate claims. Those claims are worth bleeding for. I'm willing to bleed with them, but then I feel torn. I would dishonour my Grand Fathers memory and I would be going agianst the Grand Council. My Father, who is still alive, would likely find me and kick my ass too. Although I know he would support me and the rest of the Nations, if Quebec seperated, in defending our rights to stay within Canada, or break off on our own. Whether I stood with the Cree, Innu or the Mohawk.

But I watch these smaller struggles filled with rage and frustration, I want them to end, but if we lay down our arms and plaquards, who will challenge the injustice. I want so much to feel my hands around the necks of the non natives that stand on what was our land and point at us as if we asked for all of this.

To coin a phrase, "We will not go silently back to the res".

These abuses and injustices need to be addressed. The Provincial and Federal Governments point at each other. The lower courts rarely end the disputes in our favour, and when we finally get to the supereme court and actually get heard, we win. The waste of time and money is collosal.

I feel torn. End of rant.

Last edited:

look3467

Council Member
Dec 13, 2006
Northern California
CDNBear,

I feel for your cause.

I had a hard time figuring out just how God fit into this whole mess of the new settlers conquering the lands of the American Indians.

I wondered for many a year about the salvation requirements (Spiritual) of the American Indians, since they knew not the God of the new settlers.

Their land was taken over by the settlers and many of them died defending it.

The same thoughts run in your condition as you explained them.

Here is my take as I came to a better understanding of the love of God.

For one, God is not deaf or blind, that He cannot see or hear what is going on in this world; be it at the reservation or overseas someplace.

But in every generation, He raises up people to do His bidding, of which for some, requires sacrifices.
The sacrifices of the Fathers, the sons have reaped the rewards.

So, whatever the cause one is led to fight for, one thing must be kept in mind and that is that the fight cannot be fought with violence.

In the case of Canada, the fight is in the courts. If you are to prevail, it must be with God’s help. He opens and shuts doors for us. And if you are called by God to deal with it, then rest assured that He will provide the necessary doors to be opened unto you.

You must keep it within His guidance, because as soon as you try to take things into your own hands: beware of failure.

Perhaps what I have said might help you decide between the one from the other.

Placing one’s life in the hands of Jesus, can only reap rewards.

Peace>>>AJ

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I wasn't sure as to where to put this post, but I settled on culture. As I thought of how many must feel torn between their loyalties and beliefs, under the multicultural ideals of our great nation.

As may of you know, I have campaigned for great self accountablity among my fellow Natives, as well as for an end to the waste, theft and corruption.

You may also know that I do not fully support some of the land claim protests and the violence that usually follows.

but what you may not know is, I'm torn in two on the latter of those two.

I was raised by my traditional Haudenosaunee(Six Nation/Iroquois) Grand Parents. I learned the old ways, I grew up being taught about the Longhouse and the Great Law. So I lean in favour of the ways that, that would intail. But I have cousins in the MWS in Quebec. That particular branch of the family tree is seen as the blacksheep, but we all still communed together as kids and still to this day, meet regularily. I see their point of view and to some extent agree with it. I was just raised a different way. I respect the Council of the Six nations. Something they do not, but there too, I see why.

I watched the news during the Oka crisis, and felt a deep pride in my heart as I watched friends and family man the lines and face down the authorities. I did it in silence, as I was a member of the Canadian Armed forces at the time. In fact I would later join the Royal 22nd, yes I see the irony.

I wanted very much to be there at the time, but my Father and Grand Father put it quite clearly, that I had my whole life ahead of me, this was not going to be the last battle, I was to stay where I was and continue to do what I was doing. So I did. Did I regret it? Yes and no. Torn in two.

But this is my problem, I was taught the Great Law, something that the MWS of Oka and Kanehsatake. They walked away from the Council and the circle of the Great Law's protection. I didn't and won't. But I see why they did for the most part. Apart from the corruption that abounds in that particular part of the First Nations, they do have some legitimate claims. Those claims are worth bleeding for. I'm willing to bleed with them, but then I feel torn. I would dishonour my Grand Fathers memory and I would be going agianst the Grand Council. My Father, who is still alive, would likely find me and kick my ass too. Although I know he would support me and the rest of the Nations, if Quebec seperated, in defending our rights to stay within Canada, or break off on our own. Whether I stood with the Cree, Innu or the Mohawk.

But I watch these smaller struggles filled with rage and frustration, I want them to end, but if we lay down our arms and plaquards, who will challenge the injustice. I want so much to feel my hands around the necks of the non natives that stand on what was our land and point at us as if we asked for all of this.

To coin a phrase, "We will not go silently back to the res".

These abuses and injustices need to be addressed. The Provincial and Federal Governments point at each other. The lower courts rarely end the disputes in our favour, and when we finally get to the supereme court and actually get heard, we win. The waste of time and money is collosal.

I feel torn. End of rant.

Bear you are an honourable man. I can not find it at all imaginable that you could for one second choose anything but the path that your heart follows. I too find my self torn about the old ways and what is called progress. I miss the day of the Shaman when Grandmother and Grandfather where equal in the hearts of the tribes. Now its their one God that prevails and my spirit cries. But Friend we must move forward saving as much of our culture as possible and walking forward chest out, head high following the ancestors tutelage. I hope my words give you some peace.