Things I don't like about Canada.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
What are some things you don't like about Canada? Political or Personal.

Well for me a burning issue that drives me mad is Quebec. I do not think it is fair to me as a tax payer to have to foot the bill for bilingualism, there are two French speaking Provinces in Canada yet we all must pay for this "Useless service" why? I'd like to see bilingualism scrapped and let the Provinces decide if they want to provide the service.

The Bloc is not a Federal Party yet it is allowed to operate as one why? I would like to see the Bloc's Federal status stripped form them and let them become what they really are "A Provincial Party".

I would like to see Federal Jobs open to all Canadians not just those with a Zip code in Ontario and Quebec, why they are allowed to discriminate is beyond me. Zip code discrimination shouldn't that be against my Chartered Rights?

Canada Customs and Revenue Agency form letters are hateful and threatening. When you remit your payments they send you a letter telling you of "The awful things they will do if you don't pay them on time" hello I just paid you why the tude? To whom ever designed these form letters you are a hateful mean person who probley kicks dogs, and spits at babies.

Don Cheery gets on my nerves, why is he always yelling. He has no fashion sense either.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
What?.

Not even a mention for P.S.T and G.S.T Sassy?. I personally think Quebec should be allowed to break away. Let them see what it's like running their own country. Soon they'll come running back, rest assured!.

But the only thing I hate about Canada?.......it's the fact that they don't send more young female studenty-types from there to Southampton in the UK....preferably of chinese extraction too, just cus their hot!!:D

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There isn't too much I don't like about this beautiful country. There are things I would like to see changed though...

1- Tighten our lax immagration system.
2- Remove the touchy feely "Peace Keeper" monicker from our Armed Forces.
3- Bring back open billing for Doctors, so they'll stay here when they graduate from school, and that would really help our health care system.
4- I really wish all the American haters would get off their soap boxes.
5- When people move here from other nations to escape the problems of the nation they hail from, don't start those same problems here, bring the best of your culture, leave the stupid **** in your homeland.
6- I really wish the unions would shut up. They're already killing the big three, what more do they want?

And last but not least

Please, for the love of god, use your turn signals!!!

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
-People who compare Canada to the United States, or complain that Americans don’t know anything about Canada. It sounds insecure. And who cares?
-Political correctness. We are politically correct to a fault.
-Employment equity. This is just a band aid. You have to be a French lesbian immigrant to get into the government but it's still white men at the top who run the show.
-Albertans and Quebecers bitching about Canada. You have nothing to complain about.
-Banks. This is probably a universal thing, but I hate paying service charges to get my money. It's my money!

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
I tell you what. Coming from the UK and filling out a resume is a nightmare in Canada! (not really a bad thing) but I was SHOCKED I couldn't put my name, age or sex down!...I spoke to an American about it, and he just said "well, they're all anal in Canada"..shocking.

This PC stuff certainly does you no justice. I also used to think your "plus tax" bizzo was a bit of a joke, then I looked at how much tax is paid in the UK. But currently the best thing I like about Canada?, which surprisingly I don't see much of in Canada.....Carling Beer!!, Britain's favourite, owned and run by Coors (owners of Molston and of course...Coors)...and of course coming from that town London, Ontario with it's very own Thames!!! how smashing is that!!!!:D

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Daz in Nova Scotia we have the dreaded HST, more tax money for the Feds less food on the table. There there Daz they wouldn't let you name who you wanted to have sex with on your application? Opps read that wrong, were not Anal Daz were are downright over "Polite". Hello you get hit by a car or shopping cart in Canada and the victims says I'm sorry as the blood pours from their wounds.

What I don't like about Canada ahem: Sobeys clerks asking me if I have an Air Miles card, no I don't would you like one Mam, excuse me what did you just call me? Mam, hello do I look like I'm old enough to be a Mam? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I usually respond no I don't have an Air Miles Card because my Mother-in-law would expect me to visit. Next question from Clerk, "Did you Find everything you were looking for" No, I can't find anyone to mow my lawn. Where do I file a complaint. Every bloody time I shop there they ask those two question, it's enough to drive you to beat said clerk about her person with a Pork Roast or a turkey baster.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I for one love the Queen, and I'm proud she's part of our country even if it's only a Figure Head. God Bless the Queen, may her son not pass on his Horse like face to future Royals. Sigh thankyou Lady Di, it's skip a generation.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
oh yes, do duck ITN.

But really, what is you're basis for such reasoning?. I know, it's an "American" thing. But did you vote for George W. Bush?, would you vote for George W. Bush?, do you REALLY think a majority did?.

No. In which case, you are in a worse position than I or any Canadian. It's a thing called tradition. We value our past. The queen cannot dictate a darn thing to any British or commonwealth citizen. Where as G.W can certainly do such a thing.

We spend a lot of money on them, sure. Are they usually a laughing stock, oh hell yes. But in the end it comes down to respecting our past, not denying it because it suits.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
oh yes, do duck ITN.

But really, what is you're basis for such reasoning?. I know, it's an "American" thing. But did you vote for George W. Bush?, would you vote for George W. Bush?, do you REALLY think a majority did?.

No. In which case, you are in a worse position than I or any Canadian. It's a thing called tradition. We value our past. The queen cannot dictate a darn thing to any British or commonwealth citizen. Where as G.W can certainly do such a thing.

We spend a lot of money on them, sure. Are they usually a laughing stock, oh hell yes. But in the end it comes down to respecting our past, not denying it because it suits.

No need to go off on a rant Daz. I have a right to dislike anything and anyone I want, including your Queen. And it's not Queen Elizabeth I have a problem with, it's the monarchy/aristocracy/elites in general. I know it's a "British" thing to "love" the monarchy, but I am not buying it.

Tell you what, rather than go on a long off-topic tit for tat, I'll start another thread.

Last edited:

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
your generalising again ITN.

I am not going "off" on one. But I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this inate dislike of the monarchy by you. What have they done to you?. Were you around when Washington or any of the revolutionaries were?. Do you know why they disliked the monachy EXACTLY?...or even why YOU do?.

Really, I don't think you do. Your country rid itself of the family a long time ago, and to be patriotic you feel you must dislike them too. Really, it's no different to the reason we Keep the monachy, because we feel we must after a period of history far longer than your country.

it's as simple as that.

MattUK

Electoral Member
Aug 11, 2006
UK
Cant find a new thread on the Monarchy, so I will reply here! I like them. I hope they stay forever. And its not becuase I think that the queen is good for the economy in Britain (even though she is VERY good for it), or that I dont want to see Windsor Castle turned into Council Flats so that the scum of the earth can live there for free. Nor is it that I want to continue the "tradition" of having a monarchy.

For me she is security. If Tosser Tony decided he wanted to become the Dictator of Britain, or pass some ridiculous law to make him forever powerful or to stop anyone standing against labour, then I know that she could stop it.

She is a line of common sense. She has ultimate rule of the country, no politician can do anything without her say-so.

Its comforting to think that no matter how much of an idiot Tony Blair is, he will never be able to completely destry this country while Lizzy or any other Monarch sits on our throne.

MattUK

Electoral Member
Aug 11, 2006
UK
Gonzo;733722 [COLOR=black said:
-Banks. This is probably a universal thing, but I hate paying service charges to get my money. It's my money! [/COLOR]

Do you mean banks charging you when you use and ATM machine or when you do something wrong, they charge you an admin fee or both?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Things I dislike about Canada:
  • Quebec's bitching
  • Tax's
  • Daulton McGuinty
  • Ottawa Senators
  • Nickleback
  • TTC

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
The government

I don't mean the people now serving in government but the way the government is set up.

There is far too much separation from the elected official and the constituents. It is like they are gods on high or something. Even written a letter you took time with (god forbid you should phone)...and had a crummy form letter filled with pap in return (if you got an answer at all)?

I can pick up the phone any working day and talk to elected officials' staff and even one Congressman's office who has blasted all obstacles for me going through the maza of immigration. I feel comfortable
calling and asking at any time - and have always been given great answers which worked. Not one elected official's staff or the official him/herself has asked my intended party affiliation (I don't vote yet anyway)...

I do not believe any government representative being appointed except the Judiciary and even then the Judiciary should be appointed/elected by his/her peers in government.

The people should determine those who sit in the legislatures and I think Canadians are being told they have power when they don't really have full control.

Did you ever realize the politicians both federal and provincial and local get paid by you?