A question for all artists…

hiAll

Jun 27, 2006
Warsaw, Poland (not for long ;))
Warm “hello” to all artists (I mean creators of words, visions, sounds and objects of all kind). I have a question. How difficult for you is to start existing in Canada as an artist? Are there any difficulties in becoming known, getting popular, making money? Is there any help given from government or is there no need for such help? Thanks for any and all of answers. :wink:

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
I can certainly say it is difficult, especially since Canada's so large that travelling between urban centers (which is where much of the art community finds its patrons) is difficult if you don't have much money to begin with.

As for becoming known and getting popular, well again since the art communities are closely knit with the urban areas, and the distance between them, your popularity would differ from region to region. You may be a star in Edmonton, but people in Montreal or Halifax would go "Who?"

I'd say it's no more difficult being an artist here than anywhere else, there's just more commuting involved. Many places would have art guilds (such as PEI here) where you could get an idea on grants, comissions and stuff.

In the end, Nothing's ever easy.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006
In Canada any Band that really works at it can make it (if they are any good) it may not be easy, but we have a very strong indie scene.

Other arts can be more difficult but if you think of what you are doing in a business sense you can make a living. There are enough philanthropists to get even the more expensive forms of art off the ground, but you have to know how to sell yourself and who too.

There are also Arts and Cultural grants given by the federal government and the provincial gov's. but you won't make it unless you create at least some things of monetary value.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I studied art (life drawing, animation) in school and they really don’t help you find anything in your field. Animation is all done on computers, and to get funding you have to already have had shows in major art gallery's (not coffee shops). I had a good idea to illustrate a book on Ottawa but I couldn't get funding because I'm not a professional. I went to school but that’s not enough. You have to be making money in order to get money from the government. Makes sense?
I also play music and it's fairly easy to get shows and get a following in a band, but to make a living at it is hard. For music, labels want bubble gum music geared towards 16 year old girls with no taste. We put money into our CD, gave it away at shows, but that’s as far as you can go without getting a Britney Spears clone as a signer.

hiAll

Jun 27, 2006
Warsaw, Poland (not for long ;))
I hate to hear that :( I wish you luck Gonzo. When i'll be in Canada i'll try to help you. This is my business all about. The more answers i'll get the better view of the situation i'll have and that will help me to adapt my firm into Canadian realms.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I disagree. Some claim to be artists because they slap paint on a canvass. I feel you need some knowledge to be a good artist. You need to know perspective, proportion, and good composition to be a visual artist. No, not everyone is an artist, as much as they'd like to call themselves one.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
If you're good and persistent you should succeed. Lots of wannabes out there but not much talent. Talent and tenacity are a helluva team.

Liz

Nominee Member
Aug 9, 2006
Newfoundland
If by "exsist" you mean survive, then yes you can. But it really depends on the type of art and what type of market you are willing to fit into. I do stained glass panels. I find that I make more money at doing the touristy souvenir stuff and keep the higher end larger (and more personal) pieces for the serious customers.
I hate doing anything mass produced and the thought of cheesy trinkets bugs me, but I have my convictions and only use my own original designs and am very very picky about quality. I can honestly say my work is better than 98% of what I see out there, but it's that market I have to fit into.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
If you want a place to be an artist, there's no finer place but keep your day job. Even our stars get beer spilled on them at hockey games.