Jean Receives Italian Doctorate

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Today, Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General of Canada, and His Excellency Mr. Jean-Daniel Lafond, C.C., accompanied by their daughter, Marie-Éden, visited the Università per stranieri in the Italian Republic, where Her Excellency was awarded an honorary doctorate in the realm of international relations, and to celebrate the university's eightieth anniversary.

Her Excellency is fluent in Italian. The Governor General had studied at the Università per stranieri for some time, before teaching in the Faculty of Italian Studies at the Université de Montréal. Thousands of students have studied at the Università per stranieri over the past eighty years—including at least thirty thousand students from Canada. The university welcomes students from all over the world wishing to pursue the study of Italy's language and culture.

The Governor General was given an honorary doctorate for international studies from the Università per stranieri. Her Excellency has also been invited to participate in the celebration of the university's anniversary, and to share her experiences and thoughts with other alumni of the university. The university's city, the City of Perugia, will pay tribute to the Governor General by presenting her with the seal of the city.

I would like to congratulate Her Excellency on receiving this doctorate—the Governor General is extremely skilled in the realm of linguistics (as one would certainly need to be, in order to be fluent in five languages), and she most certainly deserves an honorary doctorate from such a prominent university as the Università per stranieri—in particular, as a school known for quality instruction in the realm of linguistics.

In addition to their participation in the events in Italy, the vice-regal family will travel to the French Republic. They will travel to the Commune de La Rochelle, where Their Excellencies will participate in planning for the four hundredth anniversary of the City of Québec—which is particularly fitting, given that La Rochelle is near the birthplace of the late Samuel de Champlain, the former Governor of New France, who played a leading role in discovering and establishing the city.

An important aspect of the celebration (which is to take place at the Citadelle) is promoting and bringing attention to the important role of the Governor General in Canada—the Governor General has been the longest continuing institution in the history of Canada, spanning back to the time of Samuel de Champlain. His Excellency, and the Office of the Secretary to the Governor General of Canada are to play a key role in planning the celebration.

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Governor General of Canada.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Today, Her Excellency gave a speech on the occasion of her receiving an honorary doctorate from the Università per stranieri. The Governor General's speech, while being one in admiration of the best qualities of Italy, also promoted some of the best qualities of Canada—such as our diversity, our tolerance.

[color=#bb0000 said:
HE the Right Hon. Michaëlle Jean[/color], C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D.,]Consider for a moment that each civilization is like a star that, over time, makes up the vast constellations that guide us here on earth. That image is never far from my mind as I fulfill my role as governor general of a country that contains the world and has given me the extraordinary opportunity to see beyond what separates us and embrace wholeheartedly the values that we all uphold for the greater good and now share. I never forget that.

Click here to read the entire speech.
Cliquetez içi pour lire la parole entière.
Her Excellency's speech was captivating! I love her speeches; it may sound sad to some, but I actually look forward to them. She is certainly the personification of everything that the representative of Her Majesty the Queen of Canada should be. Her Excellency's address rang particularly true for me; I would wonder how other members reacted to her address?

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Governor General of Canada.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Great a women who doesn't deserve her post gets a doctorate she didn't work for either. Great lession we are showing to our kids. Some ppl don't have to work hard, they just have to know the right ppl and look you can one day be appointed governor general and get other stuff you didn't have to work for either.