Forces Killed in Nova Scotia

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Three members of the Canadian Forces passed away early this morning when, during a search-and-rescue training exercise in the Province of Nova Scotia, their helicopter crashed. Both The Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada, and The Honourable Gordon O'Connor, P.C., M.P., the Member for Carleton—Mississippi Mills and the Minister of National Defence issued statements in relation to this tragic event.

[color=blue said:
The Right Hon. Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P.,[/color]]My thoughts and prayers are with their family, friends and loved ones during this difficult time. It is my hope that they find some solace in the knowledge that they do no grieve alone. Canada mourns the loss of these men.

Click here to read the entire statement.
[color=blue said:
The Hon. Gordon O'Connor, P.C., M.P.,[/color]]While these tragic circumstances weigh heavily on our hearts, I am proud of the professionalism and dedication that these courageous men displayed daily while carrying out their duties for our country. They will be greatly missed by our Canadian Forces family.

Click here to read the entire statement.
I know that Canadians agree with both the Prime Minister and the Minister, in that Canada most certainly mourns this lost. This is a stark reminder that our Forces are not only lost abroad, but they also risk their own lives training and developing their skills to protect our nation domestically. In both our national defence and our initiatives abroad, our Forces are risking their lives and displaying tremendous courage and bravery—let us commend them.

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Office of the Prime Minister of Canada.
2. Click here for the Web site of the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Forces.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I think most Canadians are always mindful of such losses. And when the lives are young it's even more strikingly felt.
Now, as the MId-East heats up and our troops are caught on the lip of the cauldron, we wonder if it's prudent, given the region's increasing volatility, to stay.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
Re: RE: Forces Killed in Nova Scotia

tamarin said:
I think most Canadians are always mindful of such losses. And when the lives are young it's even more strikingly felt.
Now, as the MId-East heats up and our troops are caught on the lip of the cauldron, we wonder if it's prudent, given the
region's increasing volatility, to stay.

I refuse to be lumped with those who have no concept of how to secure a Nation. In fact there are those in society who, while having no idea what it takes to provide National Security, have put their faith in those who do, and know we're doing what we do for Canada. Do you think it's really prudent to leave Afghanistan now, when they're just getting on their feet, when we're winning the War, and when we've lost 17 soldiers killed far from home? This soldier doesn't, because the tradition I uphold is one of Canadians never quiting.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Mogz, our Minister of National Defence has indicated that Canada is not at war at this time. This Government of Canada does not recognize the mission in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan as a war.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Mogz, don't pull the soldier act with me. My family's done its part. As I've said before, my dad was with the RCAF in WWII and my grandfather with the army in WWI. They served. I heard their stories. And I believe fully that each earnestly believed in the purpose of his participation. I don't think we can say that with Afghanistan. With our recently killed soldier there and his published reservations about Canada's involvement, I think we're seeing a little more of the iceberg.