Jean Applauds Culture of the N.W.T.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Today, during a visit to the Legislative Assembly of the Northwest Territories, Her Excellency The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General of Canada delivered a speech relating to the culture of the Far North, and the value of holding onto one's culture while living in a strong and modern Canada. Her Excellency is accompanied by His Excellency Mr. Jean-Daniel Lafond, C.C., and she wishes to visit all of the Provinces and Territories of Canada within the first year of her mandate as the representative of Her Majesty the Queen of Canada.

[color=#bb0000 said:
HE The Right Hon. Michaëlle Jean[/color], C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.C.,]For someone like me, an islander who grew up surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, and a child of the South who saw the tropical forests of her native Haiti decimated to the point that the very earth became parched and the mountains made barren, the nature of the North is indeed a great wonder.

[...]

One of the biggest challenges facing young people in this territory is finding a balance between preserving the traditional northern way of life and meeting the demands of a modern world. We must help them to find that balance so that they can hold on to their traditional knowledge, so closely linked to our understanding of this land.

Click here to read the entire speech.
I am delighted to see Her Excellency devoting herself to bringing issues such as climate change and youth issues to the forefront for Canadians. While it is true that Her Majesty's former representative, The Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson, P.C., C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., brought more publicity and attention to her Office, Her Excellency has made the Office relevent to Canadians, and for that she should be commended. The Governor General expressed a wish, at her installation, to "connect" with Canada — and I would suggest that she is most certainly doing so.

Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Governor General of Canada.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Well since she was never elected by the people and was made head of state, we should be sending her everywhere to act as head of state. I'm glade she's doing a ok job and working for her money, sorta.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
I think the GG postion is a waste of time and money. Talk about doing nothing for a paycheck. Hell, the woman is Commander and Chief of the Armed Forces, yet she's never served a day in the miltary....seem odd to anyone other than I? Our Nation often clings to mornic formalities, often at the expense of millions of tax dollars each year. How about we axe her postion, and take the money we pay her for doing jack, and all the money she soaks from us to flying 1st Class to where ever, and put it in to Health Care. Problem solved? Oui.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Mogz, I would in fact argue that the Governor General of Canada serves a very important purpose, even if one ignores her duties as the representative of Her Majesty. Her Excellency travels the country and makes speeches to inspire Canadians, and to bring people together — moreover, she's someone who everyone can stand behind, because she's not partisan. By way of example, if a Prime Minister goes to visit the Forces somewhere, some people will be hyped (those who voted for the Prime Minister), and some would be frustrated or apathetic to the visit (those who didn't vote for him), whereas the Governor General would simply be an embodiment of Canada.

I know what I mean to say, but I'm not sure if it came out properly.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
I don't give a horse's ass what the GG thinks any more than what the guy down the street thinks. She's a parasite living off the public teat.. There's lots of work here in Alberta and she might land a job at Walmart.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Re: RE: Jean Applauds Culture of the N.W.T.

Mogz said:
I think the GG postion is a waste of time and money. Talk about doing nothing for a paycheck. Hell, the woman is Commander and Chief of the Armed Forces, yet she's never served a day in the miltary....seem odd to anyone other than I? Our Nation often clings to mornic formalities, often at the expense of millions of tax dollars each year. How about we axe her postion, and take the money we pay her for doing jack, and all the money she soaks from us to flying 1st Class to where ever, and put it in to Health Care. Problem solved? Oui.

Mogz I'm shocked. That is our leader your talking about. However, you said what I wanted to say. Good for you. :D
I don't give a horse's ass what the GG thinks any more than what the guy down the street thinks. She's a parasite living off the public teat.. There's lots of work here in Alberta and she might land a job at Walmart.

Is that because she is the GG or because she is black?? I know Albertans are really inoterant but really.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't agree, athabaska.

The Governor General of Canada, even if one doesn't "give a horse's ass [about her thoughts]," I agree with the suggestion of some experts — in exemplia, that the representatives of Her Majesty the Queen of Canada (the Governor General, and the Lieutenant Governors of the Provinces) serve as "constitutional fire extinguishers" in the event of the breakdown of democracy or the institutions of governance. It would be a major blow to the institution of the Parliament of Canada, and its capacity to adapt to particular circumstances, if the institution of the Queen's representative were to be discontinued.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Jean Applauds Culture of the N.W.T.

Jersay said:
Is that because she is the GG or because she is black?? I know Albertans are really inoterant but really.

I'm curious Jersay, why is it you play the race card at every turn? Are people not permitted to have an opposing opinion that isn't race related?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Considering Jean has worked for CBC radio in Quebec, and other journalistic jobs. So i think she can handle something more than just A job at Walmart.

Because athabaska has said before that he would follow Muslims around and he doesn't like Muslims, I think he doesn't like a Haitian GG as well.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
You use that jab with everybody that has an opposing view with you when you're able to pull out your race card. It's not an isolated incident, I just don't understand what makes you think everybody on this board that doesn't lean to the left is a racist.

I have found those that constantly bring up the topic are the real racists, almost never having any interactions with people from other races.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I think not said:
You use that jab with everybody that has an opposing view with you when you're able to pull out your race card. It's not an isolated incident, I just don't understand what makes you think everybody on this board that doesn't lean to the left is a racist.

I have found those that constantly bring up the topic are the real racists, almost never having any interactions with people from other races.

Worked with Asians, East Indians, Natives. Have had best friends who are Jewish, Muslim, East Indian, Black. But that is not the point.

Maybe I just see it different from some other people. But some peoples comments, maybe unintended, probably is, seems to go against a group of people is racist. Its probably not intended to but it under definition is racist.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
I think not said:

Agreed. He uses races to exploit unrelated agnda. Not unlike a thomas Jefferson who preached freedom but banged his negro slaves. Jeresay would have made the perfect patronizing slave master.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Ya ya, a whole litany of races you dealt with, I still find your posts whenever you pull the race card insulting, you've done it to just about everybody that has opposing views with you. Don't make assumptions over a forum.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I think not said:
Ya ya, a whole litany of races you dealt with, I still find your posts whenever you pull the race card insulting, you've done it to just about everybody that has opposing views with you. Don't make assumptions over a forum.

Your right. I don't know you and you don't know me.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Jersay said:
I think not said:

Then don't make assumptions about anybody unless you can back it up.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Jersay said:
I think not said:

Re: the second quote: You (and I ) are amongst the luckiest of people, ITN.

:idea:

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
FiveParadox said:
Today, during a visit to the Legislative Assembly of the Northwest Territories, Her Excellency The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General of Canada delivered a speech relating to the culture of the Far North, and the value of holding onto one's culture while living in a strong and modern Canada. Her Excellency is accompanied by His Excellency Mr. Jean-Daniel Lafond, C.C., and she wishes to visit all of the Provinces and Territories of Canada within the first year of her mandate as the representative of Her Majesty the Queen of Canada.

[color=#bb0000 said:
HE The Right Hon. Michaëlle Jean[/color], C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.C.,]For someone like me, an islander who grew up surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, and a child of the South who saw the tropical forests of her native Haiti decimated to the point that the very earth became parched and the mountains made barren, the nature of the North is indeed a great wonder.

[...]

One of the biggest challenges facing young people in this territory is finding a balance between preserving the traditional northern way of life and meeting the demands of a modern world. We must help them to find that balance so that they can hold on to their traditional knowledge, so closely linked to our understanding of this land.

Click here to read the entire speech.
I am delighted to see Her Excellency devoting herself to bringing issues such as climate change and youth issues to the forefront for Canadians. While it is true that Her Majesty's former representative, The Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson, P.C., C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., brought more publicity and attention to her Office, Her Excellency has made the Office relevent to Canadians, and for that she should be commended. The Governor General expressed a wish, at her installation, to "connect" with Canada — and I would suggest that she is most certainly doing so.

Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Governor General of Canada.

This woman should not be Governor-General. She was not born in this country. End of discussion.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
SaintLucifer

Is it her dark skin that bothers you. You've already written Canada off because we have no culture. Why should the Governor General bother you?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think that the Governor General is the perfect Canadian story. She came to this country with nothing, from the arbuably failed, or failing state of Haïti, and now she's the represent of Her Majesty the Queen of Canada and the de facto head of state of a democratic and sovereign nation. If one has read anything she's written or said, I don't think one could possibly argue that she's not fit for the job.