canadian Universities

justinwilliams

May 25, 2006
quebec
yeah I've heard this answer before. U of BC, McGill, Toronto and Waterloo are the ones I've heard of. Opinions of candians are important cause canadians are the ones that are gonna be looking at my resume in a few years

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
You have to look at the University based on the Department you are interested in. If you want to study in Geology for example you don't go to Toronto. That's the way it works.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Mulroney and the Canadian elite send their children to Harvard so that is the best one.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
University of Toronto has been highly rated for the longest time. It is generally considered at par with the ivy league Universities. The only other university of note in Canada which isn't french is UBC, but thats only in the last few years.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Finder said:
University of Toronto has been highly rated for the longest time. It is generally considered at par with the ivy league Universities. The only other university of note in Canada which isn't french is UBC, but thats only in the last few years.

The importance of the university is the connections you make there. It's all about networking. Toronto does not compare with the Ivies here. Academcially in many departments Toronto may very well be better than Harvard. Harvard though opens more doors. Ask George W Bush who has an MBA from Harvard.

Queenie

Jun 20, 2006
Toronto
"The importance of the university is the connections you make there. It's all about networking. Toronto does not compare with the Ivies here. Academcially in many departments Toronto may very well be better than Harvard. Harvard though opens more doors. Ask George W Bush who has an MBA from Harvard."

George got his connections through his family, not his - ahem - studies. The fact that George got in, and completed a graduate degree, demonstrates the real worth of Harvard my friend.

But, I have to agree with one of the other posters that the question is far too broad - are we talking undergrad or post-grad or professional schools? There is a long list of strong Canadian universities from coast to coast - the ones with the broadest reach might be Dalhousie, Toronto, York, McGill, Queen's, Windsor, UofAlberta, and UBC.

The fact that none of our universities require Canadians to have families who can dole out $100,000 for a degree is also a distinct advantage when it comes to the real world applicability of the answer.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
a lot depends on your employment perspectives. I attended Mcgill but local part time work, summer jobs, etc. were lousy. In contrast, here in Calgary (is Vancouver similar?) or Edmonton, you can probably get a job in your specialty for the summer and perhaps even while going to school. I struggled as a geology student ouside the province but colleagues who went to the U. of Calgary mostly were taken under the wing by an energy company and got good jobs, had paid trips to conferences and so on while they were students.

I joined an energy pipeline company here in Calgary after graduation my wife and I both had our graduate degrees paid for and school time paid for on full salary.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
If you want a fully rounded education choose a smaller university. Maclean's does a good job at pointing out top selections each year. In a smaller university you'll have to work harder, participate more and be better prepared for the more frequent seminars expected. Universities like Toronto have long been associated with inflexibility, political correctness and the repression of unpopular ideas. No sense going there. Get a thorough education: think- and without all its residual pejorativeness - small.

akpower

Jun 21, 2006
Ryerson is one of the best in Canada when it comes to Electrical Engineering. The program though I think is a little too brutal...

divar

Jul 26, 2006
What about Communication study in PhD? Which school gets the best reputation?