Capt. Goddard Killed in Afghanistan

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Upon her return from the Republic of Haïti, Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Commander-in-Chief in and over Canada, expressed her regret and sadness on hearing of the death of Captain Nichola Goddard, a dedicated member of the Canadian Forces. The Governor General of Canada went further to discuss how she has seen how much those in foreign nations appreciate the work that Canada is doing in those nations.

[color=#bb0000 said:
Her Excellency the Rt. Hon. Michaëlle Jean[/color], C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D.,]I have been privileged in the past few days to witness first-hand the pride and immense contribution of our Canadians soldiers in Haïti. I saw how the Haïtian people appreciate the day-to-day commitment of our Canadian troops to their struggle for security. Captain Goddard was equally devoted to this struggle, just like her fellow soldiers supporting the people of Afghanistan.

Click here to read the entire statement in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le communiqué entier en français.
:arrow: My Thoughts Re: Goddard's Passing

Capt. Goddard lost her life in the service of the Canadian Forces for Canada, during a firefight in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. This latest tragedy in that nation should not, however, weaken our resolve to restore order in that place — rather, if anything, this should renew our dedication to the members of the Forces. On a night where our House of Commons quite narrowly determined to push on in that nation for another two years, notwithstanding any partisanship, we should support the Forces, and the most honourable decision that its members have made to represent us abroad.

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Governor General of Canada.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada, issued a statement in relation to the tragic death of Capt. Goddard, mentioning that Canada is never to forget the sacrifice that she, and other persons who have served, has made in the interest of protecting Canada and its people.

The [color=blue said:
Rt. Hon. Stephen Harper[/color], P.C., M.P.,]Captain Goddard died while helping to bring peace, stability and democracy to a troubled region of the world. She, and the other men and women who serve in Afghanistan, are involved in a difficult and dangerous mission. They are serving our country and its people with distinction. Our nation will not forget their sacrifice.

Click here to read the entire statement in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le communiqué entier en français.
:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Office of the Prime Minister of Canada.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Capt. Goddard Killed

Yeah the media is having a field day with this. They're whoring out her death for the public. I hate it.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: Capt. Goddard Killed

Yeah, I agree. Her death should be treated like every other military death.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I hadn't noticed any difference. :?

Sorry if I am contributing to that "whoring out", so to speak; however, I don't think that I am. On a multitude of occasions, I have brought to the attention of the membership the statements made by Her Excellency and the various party leaders in relation to the deaths of members of the Canadian Forces. I mean, of course I miss some, but I try.