Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dont no / Prefer not two anser

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General of Canada, is to attend the second annual CanWest CanSpell Spelling Bee National Finals, and to deliver a welcoming message to the student participants, on Wednesday at the Theatre of the Canadian Museum of Civilization in Gatineau, Québec, the day after she makes known her causes for having summoned the Thirty-ninth Parliament of Canada.

[color=#bb0000 said:
Her Excellency the Rt. Hon. Michaëlle Jean[/color], C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D.]I am so pleased that young people like you are striving to master language. Such curiosity is a sign of your openness. You are role models for so many other young people who hope one day to live out their dreams and carve out a place for themselves in the world."

Click here to read the entire article in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire l'article entier en français.
:arrow: My Opinion

I think it is so awesome that our Governor General of Canada has been so busy with events such as these; in a society where her position is so obscure in modern times, I think it's good, in terms of strengthening Canadian tradition and heritage, that Her Excellency be a prominent national figure (as she has done such an excellent job of, so far).

Not only has she been doing the sort of "vice-regal"-style visits, such as attending banquets and conferences, and boring things like that, but she's getting down to the people — she's bringing things such as abuse, discrimination and violence against women to the forefront of discussions, and she's taking part in activities that the everyday citizen can actually care about. Bravo, Your Excellency — we've needed a Governor General like you for a long time now.

And good luck to these munchkins on their spelling test. :D

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Governor General of Canada.

JoeyB

Electoral Member
Feb 2, 2006
Australia
RE: Jean to S-P-E-A-K at

I think it is a very good thing to be 'on loan' to the people. It makes them feel good about their country in a way a prime minister never could hope to.

It's also a very special occasion for kids to learn a little bit about their parliament and how their country functions, as an aside to their being present for a competition.

Having met our GG before in a professional capacity, it is a very serious occasion for those in political circles, as one is performing a duty to state, queen and country. So to meet a GG outside this 'professional capacity' environment is something very special indeed. Good on her for being so accessible to the people. Very humbling and unpretentious.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I was thinking this was the other Jean{Chretien] and wondering if he's brought along a translator,so the youth would understand his speech :)

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Speech on the Occasion of the Finals

Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General of Canada, today delivered a speech to the participants of the CanWest CanSpell Spelling Bee National Finals. Before quoting the speech, I must saw that I am somewhat in awe of her stunning performance thus far as our representative of Her Majesty the Queen of Canada; this speech highlights the way that she is bringing people together, and inspiring our citizens — and in particular, our youth — to achieve greatness.

[color=#bb0000 said:
Her Excellency the Rt. Hon. Michaëlle Jean[/color], C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D.]It gives me great joy to be here among so many young people who are such skilful and proficient spellers. Congratulations to everyone who has made it to the finals!

Spelling is a sport, one that exercises the muscles of the brain and memory. You prepared for this bee like an athlete trains for competition: with passion, determination and discipline.

As you strive for excellence, never forget the pleasure, the love, the power that words can have in your life. Beyond winning a medal, an award or a ribbon, never forget that languages—those we speak, write, and sing, with which we build relationships with one another—allow us to tell the world who we are and to share our story. This is an invaluable treasure.

Click here to read the entire speech in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire la parole entière en français.
:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Governor General of Canada.