The Elimination of Racial Discrimination

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
March 21, 2006, is the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination.

Here in Canada, we have made astounding progress in ensuring that everyone feels welcome and safe within our borders; granted, however, there have been bumps on this road. Recent cases, brought before the Supreme Court of Canada, showcase the fact that there are certain things that remain to be done to that end. Efforts abroad to bring terrorism to an end have, for some reason, increased domestic tensions in both Canada and the United States of America in terms of the undue scrutiny of persons due to their race, religion and other such factors.

Among the many examples of this progress in Canada, we can turn to the highest position in our system of governance (save that of the Queen); only months ago, we saw the first-ever appointment of a black Canadian to the Governor Generalship of Canada. On the occasion of this important day, Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General of Canada issued a message to the nation in relation to discrimination.

Her Excellency the Rt. Hon. Michaëlle Jean said:
March 17, 2006

As you know, it is so important to me that we break down solitudes, regardless of which barriers stand in the way: age, gender, ethnicity, language, religion, poverty, to name but a few. Racism and discrimination, which continue to be problems in our society, sink their insidious roots in the soil of ignorance and lack of understanding. They have no place in a society that prizes above all the values of respect, openness and sharing, which are paramount for me.

Click here to read the message in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le message en français.
:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Governor General of Canada.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: The Elimination of Ra

isnt the right hon. Mrs Jean of an ethnic minority herself?...nah I think Canada has done more for ethnic minorities than a lot of countries, certainly than her neighbours to the south.

as Mohammed Ali said "god damn, I dont trust them whites up in yankie land, you know they be racist down south..god they'll spit in ur face and you accept it kind sir.....but up north.....watch em, they be saying hello and acting all nice...but theyd shoot you if you slept with their daughter"

And that was in the 70's, I think it's got worse, canada has done well on that front in my opinion to racially secular and not a "melting pot"

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I agree; as I mentioned above, yes, Canada has made much progress.

And yes, Her Excellency is the first black Canadian to be appointed to her position.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
it seems as if canada- comparatively ---is quite advanced in the high degree of racial integration it has achieved
i think many canadians dont even percieve racial differences as significant differences between people.
however -- its not perfect-- any at some point many ethic groups in canada have complained of significant discrimination--if not institutionalized-then culturally or socially----
its a slow steady evolutionary process and hopefully it will continue to improve

orpheus

Nominee Member
Mar 14, 2006
Canada, I would presume.

Cumbaya milord, Cumbaya...::cries from happiness::
I just ruined the moment.
I agree with all of you, though. I've travelled a lot and met many people, and I would say that Canada's top notch when it comes to equality. =)
Now, the Nordic region...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I hate to throw a wrench into this lefty love-in, but you guys are so full of it.

What you mean is that us white people have become increasingly tolerant, and you are right, that is a very good thing.

However there are still vast pockets of racism in Canada.

How about the East Indian who stabbed his daughter to death because she was having an affair with a Christian white boy?

The racism most prevalent in our society today is the racism that exists among the groups of immigrants that we have so carefully failed to integrate.

Just ask the next Muslim whose daughter gets caught up with a white boy.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Colpy, I believe the case you were referring to involved Sikhs — not Muslims.

Nonetheless, as I highlighted above (and as did Her Excellency's message on this occasion), we still have a lot of progress to make — but we also should celebrate the progress we've made to date. There have been leaps and bounds, and we should be proud of that, while simultaneously realizing that there is much that remains to be done.

orpheus

Nominee Member
Mar 14, 2006
Canada, I would presume.

I know plenty of Muslims who get caught up with white boys. And the majority don't really care actually.
When things make the news it's because they're rare and thus, newsworthy. That is certainly not the norm.

However, there is plenty of discrimination. I live in Saskatchewan, so many people have many misconceptions about Aborigionals.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Vast pockets on enormous trousers. Racial violence on a national scale
knife wielding Muslims cutting up tolerant white hadicapped christian teenagers streets running with blood houses burning it's hell out there. When will we stop the carnage.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: The Elimination of Racial Discrimination

FiveParadox said:
Colpy, I believe the case you were referring to involved Sikhs — not Muslims.

Nonetheless, as I highlighted above (and as did Her Excellency's message on this occasion), we still have a lot of progress to make — but we also should celebrate the progress we've made to date. There have been leaps and bounds, and we should be proud of that, while simultaneously realizing that there is much that remains to be done.

You are correct, the actual case I spoke of was a Sikh. I wonder if he used a kirpan? I actually doubt it, as I don't believe he was a strict "fundamentalist" Sikh.

The Muslim reference was just a random example. Conjecture only.

There are many cultures in Canada that are exclusionary.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: The Elimination of Ra

orpheus said:
I know plenty of Muslims who get caught up with white boys. And the majority don't really care actually.
When things make the news it's because they're rare and thus, newsworthy. That is certainly not the norm.

However, there is plenty of discrimination. I live in Saskatchewan, so many people have many misconceptions about Aborigionals.

Yeah, it seems Indians (Native Americans) are the ones whites love to hate.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
Re: RE: The Elimination of Ra

Colpy said:
orpheus said:

Yeah, it seems Indians (Native Americans) are the ones whites love to hate.

ive detected this very virulent anti-indian mentally in many people from out west-- its ugly

i dont think that the residual racial bigotry we have in canada is unique or even more prevalent in the -- nonwhite componet of canadian culture-- i cant really quantify it--- but there certainly is a significant amount of racial bigotry in canadians of european ancestry--- less than previously but its still there---

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Generations of Canadians

I think that one is going to find that as the next generations "rise to power" in Canada, so to speak, we are going to see racism become less and less of an issue. I would argue that the younger generation has far less reservations about accepting other cultures into our own.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
Re: Generations of Canadians

FiveParadox said:
I think that one is going to find that as the next generations "rise to power" in Canada, so to speak, we are going to see racism become less and less of an issue. I would argue that the younger generation has far less reservations about accepting other cultures into our own.

agreed

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
When people stop counting how many minorities are in government, then I'll believe racial discrimination doesn't exist. You have to look at people based on their abilities, not the color of their skin. The days of Affirmative Action (or Positive Discrimination) are long over, or at least should be.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Colpy said:
I hate to throw a wrench into this lefty love-in, but you guys are so full of it.

:lol:

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
Canada discriminates in so many different ways. Granted not in violent ways, but in economic and opportunities based on Culture.

One only needs to review the government salaries disclosure sites to see that all it takes is the right kind of last name.

I think the immortal words of Mahomad Ali
"...they be racist down south..god they'll spit in ur face and you accept it kind sir.....but up north.....watch em, they be saying hello and acting all nice...but theyd shoot you..."
holds true when it comes to government and economic interests which discrimination is applied equally to blacks, whites and those in between who are not from the correct master cultures.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006

iamcanadian said:
Canada discriminates in so many different ways. Granted not in violent ways, but in economic and opportunities based on Culture.

One only needs to review the government salaries disclosure sites to see that all it takes is the right kind of last name.

I think the immortal words of Mahomad Ali
"...they be racist down south..god they'll spit in ur face and you accept it kind sir.....but up north.....watch em, they be saying hello and acting all nice...but theyd shoot you..."
holds true when it comes to government and economic interests which discrimination is applied equally to blacks, whites and those in between who are not from the correct master cultures.

im not arguing with you but waht type of last name are you reffering to -- ie in govn disclosure list