The Crystal Meth problem.

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005
In the news it seems like Crystal Meth busts and abuse are mentioned quite often. The drug is really bad for you and destroys your life. All I hear however is how some group is on a campaign to educate the youth on the dangers of the drug. However, despite these efforts, the use of this drug continues to rise and has become an epidemic all over the world.
I think the stategy needs to be changed. We need to start looking at why these kids are resorting to hard drugs. If you ask the average teen, they'll tell you the drug is bad for you, and then they'll tell you that they have either used it themselves or know atleast one friend or classmate who is addicted. From that observation, the problem isn't education about the drug itself is the problem. The real problem is that kids are becoming self-destructive, and many have problems with depression. Many people who have this condition are drawn towards drugs because they have little self worth, so they don't really see how they are destroying anything important because their self image is that they are unimportant.

For 5 years, I lived this lifestyle of low self worth, and was drawn to pot as my drug of choice. It was my escape. I'm actually a very intelligent person, and my IQ is high enough that the tests aren't accurate enough to test it. I developed my low self worth because as a child I really got the shitty end of the stick when it came to treatment, and my life lacked positive support almost completely. My intelligence turned me into a social outcast as I started to make others feel inferior around me, and quickly became a target for harassment and bullying. When I was in elemenatary, I fought off the attacks physically, but I ended up putting a couple kids in hospital, so I developed a more pacifist type of thinking. After this, I started directing my anger inwards at myself, and started on the road to self-destruction. In school, I quit trying almost completely, purposely failing myself so that I would no longer be singled out. I would actually force myself to never answer a question, or I would purposely give the wrong answer so that I could blend. I dreaded school, and would skip as much as possible without being left behind or face social service problems.

My usual encouragement for acing a test would be," how come you can't do that everytime?" Any of my accomplishments were always belittled by everyone. I was even called stupid in front of my entire class on numerous occassions by teachers, or used as an example. Nobody gave a damn whether I succeeded or not, and eventually I didn't. I actually got the highest marks in the province on my English 30 and Social 30, scoring 100% on a part of each exame, and high 90's on both written parts. I was told that I didn't get 100% on the written parts because nobody ever gets that. My mom said that I was "lieing" to her when I told her what my marks were on the finals.

After graduating from high school my life got even worse, and the thought of ending it was always in the back of my mind. I couldn't hold down a job for more than a month. My drug use went from casual to cronic, and I sunk myself into debt over my head. The only good job that I did like, I had to quit for a while after a back injury from a car accident. I went back eventually, but was harassed and bullied by co-workers to the point where I quit again. I would have had charges laid, but it was my dad's company and it would have damaged his business to do so. It wasn't fair for me, but it was even more unfair for my dad, so I left. I wondered around the country for a while, lived in another city, and eventually moved back home to live with some friends. Something had changed though, and my friends eventually turned against me, influenced by one individual in particular.

I eventually went to see a psychologist, and we discovered together something I needed to learn. It isn't my fault. People hate me because I have everything that is needed to be a " I can" person, and that I was being targeted by those who would never be capable of the same possibilities. I have this tendency to make people feel inferior, as I drift through problems, when others struggle. Now I'm focused on creating a new atmosphere by sorrounding myself with other people like myself. I plan to go back to school and work towards a degree in theoretical math or physics. I now get all the support I need, and express my distaste when people make negative comments.

See, this was my major life struggle, and I was on the near brink of becoming someone who lived on the streets, and most likely would have moved to harsher drugs and ended up wasted potential. Now I don't see other users as addicts, but as people with an underlying problem driving them to self-destructive acts such a drug abuse, and sometimes suicide.

The good news is that there is a way to slow and end this cycle. My cues came from my mom, an she got hers from my grandma, and so on. It's a negative thinking cycle that I'm ending. The thing is that you can end it too.

We need to replace negative criticism with positive reinforcement. You don't even need to tell your kids that drugs are bad, you only have to encourage them to make positive choices. If they make positive choices, they won't even consider drugs as a choice. They may still smoke a joint, or have a couple beers, but this is a big difference from being high or drunk all day, every day. All you have to do is tell your kids that they can, and don't put expected levels of performance on them. It will be negative if they don't meet them. When they do well, and aren't working towards something, but get something unexpected, they feel that they're efforts are appreciated. I'm actually working with my dad to impliment a bonus program at work. If he has a good month at work, no tools are wrecked, guys are doing well, give them an out of the blue bonus. Not added into their cheques, but handed to them at an arbitrary time with no reason given, just for doing a good job.

My goal in life now is to live positively, and spread my message without preaching it, but by living by it.

Here's some examples of things you can do to make a positive impact in your community.

Some kids are selling lemonade for 25 cents a glass. Give them $5, and tell them to keep the change. You'll feel good, and they'll feel really rewarded for their efforts. They won't forget this kindness.

Get a bad server at a restaurant, don't tip 15%, tip 25%. This may seem like the opposite thing to do, but the very least is that it brightens up your servers day. Usually the next customer who walks in the door gets way better service, and the server feels valued. The first things they think about afterwards is what they didn't do to make your experience at the restaurant great, whereas they usually just think your an ass for leaving no tip, and will focus on that rather than what they could have done better to deserve a tip. When I walk into places now where I'm a regular customer, I get service like most never get.

I think if more people started to develope this kind of positive thinking that I live by now, we'd find ourselves in a much more desireable life, and the youth would be more likely to succeed, than become drug attics. Now my life is full of happiness, the negative thinkers are repelled, and the positive thinkers are drawn to me.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
very thought provoking piece. It would be a good and decent thing if politicians approached drug use with the aim of 'harm reduction' and all of the social supports this creates. But I listened to Bush give his speech following the signing of the revamped 'Patriot Act' and its going to be all about busting heads, crushing civil liberties and further criminalizing the user to get the big splashy headlines. Now Canadian Politicians are falling into lock step with this assault on people who need support. Demonizing a drug doesn't stop its use if the people demonizing it are morally bankrupt. Unfortunately, grass roots movements of people caring for people, are also demonized and those in need are forced into sterile environs (prison or psychiatric hospitals).

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005
RE: The Crystal Meth prob

It's just that it's a lot easier to address the problem with a band-aid solution, than it is to tackle the underlining mental health and societal issues. It's too bad that our governments don't see the situation the way it really is, or maybe they themselves are profiting and gaining power from the situation. Really, they are perpetuating the problem by making harsher laws and cracking down harder. The result is that the problem progresses further, and then people ask for more of the same medicine. Everytime we do this they give up a little more power and control. The old divide and conquer situation. Its just like the terrorism propaganda. It allowed the US government to pass the patriot act to remove power from citizens even further, and almost does nothing to stop terrorism. It stinks big time, and there doesn't seem to be an outlet to inform others. I just don't get what the point of security is, if we lose all of our freedoms that were trying to keep secure in the process. How can this be logical to anyone?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Alberta'sfinest said:
I'm actually a very intelligent person, and my IQ is high enough that the tests aren't accurate enough to test it.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
I think not said:
Alberta'sfinest said:
I'm actually a very intelligent person, and my IQ is high enough that the tests aren't accurate enough to test it.

RESPONSE: so what's wrong with a little self-disclosure? It's better than coming to the table with only inbred bias, or ill-formed opinion. I used it when I did guest lectures. It was then clear to the students that I knew the topics well, and it provoked good discussion from the questions that followed.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
PoisonPete2 said:
RESPONSE: so what's wrong with a little self-disclosure? It's better than coming to the table with only inbred bias, or ill-formed opinion. I used it when I did guest lectures. It was then clear to the students that I knew the topics well, and it provoked good discussion from the questions that followed.

Well I suppose being in the presence of a genius(since no IQ test can measure his levels) sort of made me sputter. But I have read his previous posts of "secret" underground Canadian armies and nuclear weapons in the North and well....has sort of lumped him in my "out there" list.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
One of the first applications of IQ testing (Stanford -Binet) was for military service, to seperate those who could take orders from those who wouldn't know what an order was. Even today the power of IQ testing remains in the first set of standard deviations from norm.

I admit that I have not followed the 'posting' career closely, so could only comment as to the content of this post, which seems to serve as an earnest expression to treat the downtrodden with some compassion.

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
I think not said:
PoisonPete2 said:

Well I suppose being in the presence of a genius(since no IQ test can measure his levels) sort of made me sputter. But I have read his previous posts of "secret" underground Canadian armies and nuclear weapons in the North and well....has sort of lumped him in my "out there" list.

The holocaust Denial thread was the kicker for me. And experience on Internet Forums has taught me that saying something like "my exremely high IQ" usually means "i am a friendless shut-in with delusions of grandeur." People who can't operate properly in a social environment always attribute it to the fact that their Genius-level intelligence intimidates people.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8O , Yup, I'm purty smart meself, but, ya ken probably measure it.(IQ that is). I think we all get our share of negative feedback, some of us handle it differently. Maybe 1% are so intelligent we become dope addicts, hard to tell....... :roll:

BUT :!: The meth problem is certainly a disaster, especially in the rural US midwest and south. Watched a doc. on it last night and it a scary thing. Easy to make, cheap, deadly.

Georgie boy is gonna have to build hundreds of prisons to hold all the destroyed people. At least that's the way he will probably go. Stevie will be right behind him most likely. Empathy and finding the root of the problem = weakness. Right.

Wunnerful werld eh :!:

:?

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Oldnugly, I'm purdy darn brillant myself. I mean it's the internet I can be anything I want, can't I?

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005

I think not, I'm merely a product of my own life. If you had read my post you'd have realized that I got the shitty end of the stick a lot in my life. I was often singled out by my schoolmates and even colleagues because I outperformed them, and I became rather bitter. This coupled with my lack of support, encouragement, or recognition for any achievements that I've made, has caused me to become my own support, ecouragement, and recognition.

Do you want to know what my childhood was like. When I was a kid I used to recieve physical and verbal abuse daily, just for answering too many questions right. At recess I would have other students just come up from behind and punch me in the head. I had to fight almost daily, and eventually I put three kids in hospital and stopped. For 6 years I just took abuse, and my self worth dropped to nothing. My parents had to drag me kicking and screaming to school because I was afraid to go. Eventually later in my teens I started to smoke pot as a crutch to cope with reality. Up until recently, I had lots of friends, but when I quit smoking, I quit the lifestyle altogether, including my friends. When I quit, my life got back on track again, and now I'm upgrading to go to university. I've since been working hard on self improvement through self introspection, nudged by a much needed visit to a psychologist to overcome some demons that were created during my childhood years. I'm just a product of my life.

I've learned that you are self-rightcheous and prejudging. You don't wish to ever debate any of my claims, but rather just try and dispell them with your own self doubt and unbelief. This is a less straightforward form of arrogance, but arrogance none the less. You must know everything too?

Look at your attempts to flame me in this thread.

"But I have read his previous posts of "secret" underground Canadian armies and nuclear weapons in the North and well....has sort of lumped him in my "out there" list."

Why would it be unfeasable that we've developed military technology and stockpiled it for a worst case scenario? This is prudent planning, especially when you have a large majority of the worlds precious resources, and an eventual and mathematically predictable scarcity event will occour. What did you think was kept in all of those top secret folders that the army has, a map to candyland? We actually did store nukes here in Canada during the cold war for the US against UN regulations and the public was lied to. This was later proved. Infact a nuclear bomb was missing in northern BC for decades before they found it. I don't think it would be unreasonable to say that we still have them to this day, undeclared of course. We have our own uranium mine, our own centrifuges, and some of the leading physicists in the world. Building a couple bombs wouldn't even show up on anyones radar as everything could be done in house.

When you say I'm out there, you're right. Most of the great minds in history were "out there", so I'll take it as a compliment. Read up on famous scientists and you'll find that this is common trait amongst them. It's this out of the box thinking that is why I'm going to challenge the theory of photons, and replace it with a new theory that fits all the criteria and math, and explains how light travels. It's also how I theorized how evelution occours and progresses, as well as why we can't find the missing link. The answer that I came too about how us humans made such a genetic leap will change our entire lives and understanding of where we came from. The answer is in bacteria. I'm going to school to learn how to put it all in words and to get my work recognized. With what I figured out, we should be able to cure all illnesses in our lifetimes.
I'm not selfish, I actually have no goals that are for selfish purposes. I'm only trying to lead a life of example that could make a difference, that's all. My only goal is to leave the world a little better than when I came into it. If you want to hate me for this, you should re-evaluate yourself.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
That was a lot of interesting and powerful information you just gave out man and is really interesting from your first hand experience, not at meth but at pot but how it is one in the same. Really interesting man.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
I think not said:
PoisonPete2 said:

these facilties do exist
10 years ago when i was still in training to become a research neurobiologist- i did an elective as a lab assistant in the inuvik hospital-- which services the local community and the nearby canadian armed forces base ----
i met many people from the base there- -- and i observed that many of the lab profile resullts showed definite evidence of radiation exposure- some near fatal levels-- i kept this to myself

that is anecdotal though
i cant give you the details but while i was up there i was approached by a rep of the military---- to make a long story short
he tried to recruit me for working on canada's secret weopons program. i had to decline
but i kept a record of many of the bizarre lab test results that came through the hospital
just to remind myself i wasnt going crasy
--im sure they were conducting human nuclear/ biological exposure experiments perhaps investigating how one could genetically triggger a rapid evolutionary speciation sequence in humans- ie trigger that "punctuated equilibrium" that the famous Geneticist J. Gould discovered was really the operative mechanism in evolution- and speciation in particular.

the under ground army isnt of course really underground but invisibly distributed throughout canadian society,
i think they are the sons and daugters of these experiments

i know i risk a lot y telling you all of this--
im sure they are affter me
but thanks to MY high IQ i have so far managed to outsmart them

ps- if your SMART-- youll keep all this to yerself

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

"-im sure they were conducting human nuclear/ biological exposure experiments perhaps investigating how one could genetically triggger a rapid evolutionary speciation sequence in humans- ie trigger that "punctuated equilibrium" that the famous Geneticist J. Gould discovered was really the operative mechanism in evolution- and speciation in particular. "

Cortez, I suppose since you have revealed this much already I feel safe discussing it myself, I need to talk to someone about the vats I was born in. I have an IQ of 193.7 but I've been able to keep it hidden from everyone.
I'm sure the peeple on this forum are blissfully unaware of the awesome intellectual power I control.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: The Crystal Meth prob

Alberta'sfinest said:
I've learned that you are self-rightcheous and prejudging. You don't wish to ever debate any of my claims, but rather just try and dispell them with your own self doubt and unbelief. This is a less straightforward form of arrogance, but arrogance none the less. You must know everything too?

Not even close to knowing everything, I just express an opinion from time to time, and try, for the most part, for it to be based on facts and reason.

Alberta'sfinest said:
If you want to hate me for this, you should re-evaluate yourself.

How can I possibly hate you, I don't even know you.

Let's face it Alberta'sFinest, making claims Canada has a secret underground army is rather ludicrous, don't you think? What is the army for? Polar bear invasion? It is true Canada has vast resources, don't you think it would be better to have a navy instead? You can cloke it if you wish, but it would be strategically sound.

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005

It's not ludicrous. Canada is a super liberal country that is very anti-war. We can't even serve a peace making mission without people complaining. Regardless, we need an army to defend our resource rich country. It's kept secret because people don't see a need for an army and would complain that the money could be better spent on Healthcare, or other public programs. The buildup is to ensure our national security in the event of a resource crisis. In the event of a resource crisis, larger agressive nations will target smaller countries and invade to secure those resources for themselves to guarantee their futures. Since the US is doing this in the middle east, why wouldn't a country like China think to do the same to us? Considering a resource crisis would create massive hardships for any country that lacks resources to sustain it's own populous, it's very likely we're a target.

We don't have a navy because we don't need one. Instead we opted for fighter interceptors. For one, we can't just hide a navy from public view, so it can't be kept uncontroversial. Planes can be kept underground out of sight, and out of mind. Fighter interceptors are superior as they can target ground equipment, ships, submarines, and other planes. The fleet is large enough to effectively patrol our entire airspace and even over our waters. If anyone exposed the program, it can be denied and sluffed off as a wild accusation. Officially we are up to nothing. I learned about the program from two seperate soldiers that were unloading the crates at two seperate bases. If you think we don't have underground bases, read up on the cold lake air force base. It's a publicly known base. What makes it really cool, is that the hangers are below ground, multiple football fields in size. The planes are raised using a giant elevator.

The best strategy in war, is to leave your enemy with only a vague idea of your might. Unless your the US, because they want everyone to know that they have the largest army. Even they still keep secrets.

nelk

Electoral Member
May 18, 2005
atlantic canada

Albertas finest said :
Regardless, we need an army to defend our resource rich country.

Why would we need an army to defend was has been given away long time ago.

If the peoples of Canada would own the incredable valuable resources, I mean really having control over it, I dare say, there would be no need for Taxation and plenty of jobs, not just digging up and shipping abroad .

The incredable richness of natures blessings has made us squander our true heritage.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
wow. I don't know if you're out there or not, Alberta'sfinest... but your posts are fascinating. The older I get, the more I realize that pretty much nothing is outside the realm of possibility. I confess I'm intrigued by anything hidden or mysterious - I'm inclined to poke at things that are shrouded in secrecy... the conspiracy theories, aything sci-fi related, and anything that is 'outside the box'...

Also, you post with a rare courage - showing your truth as you see it, and your desire for the world to be a better place. I like that. You just keep 'em comin, and I'll keep reading 'em... I may not know if you're operating on all cylinders, but frankly, I don't really care... some of my best friends are considered to be a few sandwhiches short of a full picnic, but that's why I like 'em. Never a dull moment. LOLLL

And btw, my grandfather was a genius too - he lived a very isolated life because of it - not of his own choosing necessarily, but because he just found it so incredibly difficult to relate to or be understood by most people. He died alone, of alcoholism. It's not all it's cracked up to be is it? Good on ya for sharing and for taking steps to do the best you can with what you've got, and for choosing not to allow your past to dictate your future.

Zan