Caring Canadian Awards

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
In six days, at Victoria City Hall, Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, the Governor General of Canada, is going to present two citizens of Vancouver Island with the Governor General's Caring Canadian Award.

The award was started by the Right Honourable Roméo LeBlanc in 1996 in an effort to recognize citizens of Canada, for their selfless acts of volunteer service and heroism, for their unending caring attitudes toward their fellow citizens — only nine hundred thirty-five Canadians have received the award to date.

The recipients of the award are Shelagh Wynn Gourlay from Cedar, British Columbia and Garth Harvey from Mill Bay, British Columbia. Ms. Gourley is receiving the award for her founding of the Cedar School and Community Enhancement Society, and her instrumental role in the opening and operation of a local RCMP station, the Cedar High School, and several other community facilities. Mr. Harvey is receiving the award for the instrumental role he played in the rennovation of the International Bahá'I School, and for founding the Cowichan Family Caregivers Support Society.

:arrow: Discussion

What do you think warrants an issue of the Governor General's Caring Canadian Award?

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Caring Canadian Award

I hate the Governor General. By that I mean the postion not the person. It's a waste of money.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
A couple of months ago I would have hooted at this....

But because I respect FiveParadox and his obvious love for the office of Governor General and the traditions she represents....
I'm not gonna say a word....(well I just did).... but am trying to
find some deep down rationale inside of me why it is important
for Canada to have this tie.....

Maybe if I stop being so negative about it I'll change my mind...

Because of Five's devotion..... nothing the GG could do....

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would urge those who are opposed to the office of the Governor General to review some of the points I included in a separate thread; I believe it's something along the lines of "LaFond to promote Canadian wines" or something as such.

And yes, I am dedicated to the office of Her Excellency; I see a great value in the institution, and would prefer for the office to remain as it is; that would, though, perhaps be a topic for another thread. I meant for the focus of this thread to be for the awards, and not in regards to Her Excellency's office.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Very quickly here fiveP, I think the position of GG. is a good idea. We have a head of state who is completely apolitical. She/he can speak their mind and they are not looking for your damn votes. I thought Clarkson was the best GG we have had in years. I haven't seen much of Michaelle Jean yet but I will keep an open mind.

I'm sure there are deserving Canadians out there for this award but off hand, I can't think of any. Anybody who volunteers to help kids, either in scouts, or sports, or any other endeavor, gets my vote.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
I think moi.
First to my dedication to bilingualism and second to my tireless efforts to educate the masses with my illuminating pastes.