Hot wash vs Cold wash (Cold Wash)

varanz
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if you guys (Canadians) prefer hot wash or cold wash in regards to washing your clothes in the washing machine.

This is for my market research project, I am working for a company Vara NZ Ltd which manufactures Merino Wool socks.

Because Merino Wool shrinks in hot wash, so I am wondering if we need a big text saying "ONLY COLD WASH".

Thanks,

Jonathan W Chan and the Team at Vara NZ Ltd

Mogz
This is kind of an obscure question, considering that the choice to wash clothes with hot or cold water doesn't boil down to any cultural standard....unless of course your Country lacks hot water then it's obviously cold washing only. That said i'm a cold water man, but that's only because I wash with Cold Water Tide™

P.S. Pay me money now Tide™

missile
As I have a lot of dark clothing,cold wash is my preferred setting I use liquid Tide and Sunlight .

Toro
You're kidding right?

Who washes dark clothes in hot water?

Are there whole countries wearing clothes that are 3 sizes too small?

JoeyB
hehe NZ merino another thing we have in common, merinos...

wool stuff herein our household is hand wash only in tepid (not quite cold, maybe 25-30C ) water with wool wash. Socks get washed with other undies on a warm cycle, but haven't yet shrunk. I'm thinking the usual Wool Standard logo (pure new wool) and Hand wash or Gentle machine Cold wash, DO NOT BLEACH, DO NOT TUMBLE DRY, DO NOT PICK YOUR NOSE, COOL IRON etc... (but honestly who's **** enough to iron their socks???)
I'm sure many understand the properties of wool, because their mother scolded them more than once for putting their woolly jumpers in with the tracksuits, or other tops with zips (bad!)
Doesn't hurt to learn the hard way occasionally... everyone keeps saying these days 'ignorance is no excuse' so eh... let them find out the hard way

thulin
Quote: Originally Posted by Toro

Who washes dark clothes in hot water?

Who washes ANY clothes in cold water

Before I met my fiancé I separated dark and light clothes and washed them in 40 degrees celsius. Now a days my wash spectrum reaches as far as 60 and 90 degrees...

The´m women, what would we ever do withoute´m?

annabattler
I wash with cold water....because the cost of heating the water,at least here in Ontario,is skyrocketing.

missile
That's another good reason for the cold wash..after all,we are supposed to be conserving energy,right? I have to do aa laundry today,too

Curiosity
Wash clothes????

missile
Yes I am multi talented.

Curiosity
OOOOOPS Missile

I didn't plan my post to plop next to yours - it does look like I am saying you are "washing challenged".

I never meant that to be....

...it was just a general doofus blonde statement honest....

missile
No Problem! I just didn't want you to think I was so independently wealthy that I throw all my clothes away after wearing them once.

Curiosity
Missile

Linda
Whites are washed in HOT water. Usually left to soak overnight. Damn kids and their socks.

Darks are washed in cold water. Sometimes warm, depending on the amount of ick on them.

Lights are usually tossed in with the whites, unless there's a lot and then they get their own load in warm water.

Whites RARELY go in the dryer to dry completely. Turns em gray and if you are a regular bleach user, they'll turn yellow.

Usually just toss all laundry in the dryer on the "air" cycle to reduce wrinkling. Then hang to dry. 'Cept for towels. Towels air dried = loofah sponge.

Preference is to hang whites and bed sheets outside when weather/temp permit. In winter, whites are hung on a drying rack and sheets are in dryer.

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by missile

I have to do aa laundry today,too

Hey this probably explains your signature about whitey! You mean your clothes!

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by Wednesday's Child

Wash clothes????

thulin
Quote: Originally Posted by annabattler

I wash with cold water....because the cost of heating the water,at least here in Ontario,is skyrocketing.

I looked at a canadian power company and found that your prices were like 1/2 from mine..?!

OK, I live in a rental - heating included in rent..!

NickFun
I use WARM water for eveything. Am I doing it wrong?

Curiosity
Well.....

I'd say warm is better than hot in most cases except for things that don't care....

If "warm" is still too hot for your clothes you can tell if the sleeves won't bend, the buttons pop off and you can't sit down without help! :P

Toro
I must say, 18 posts about laundry is quite impressive.

Curiosity
Toro

Now now.... it's a cleaner topic than most!

I had no idea there were so many questions about it...

Procter and Gamble were no fools I see!

Curiosity
OK OK I know it isn't often asked....but I would really like to know.....

Does anyone iron their sheets?

Haggis McBagpipe

If "warm" is still too hot for your clothes you can tell if the sleeves won't bend, the buttons pop off and you can't sit down without help! :P

Ahhhh! So THAT'S what it is, it isn't the cheesecake and cookies after all!

(oh and no to ironing sheets, but I used to send sheets out to the dry cleaner to be washed, starched and pressed . . . 'way too expensive, though)

#juan
Just the other day

I was washing my keyboard. I took it out early in the spin cycle though because it was too noisy.

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan

Just the other day

I was washing my keyboard. I took it out early in the spin cycle though because it was too noisy.

Use fabric softener, it helps. Be sure to get the cyber-safe formula, though.

missile
just some QTips and some rubbing alcohol should be enough to clear up any gummy crap that has gotten into your keyboard[and it dries very quickly,too]

missile
Let's find out if anyone prefers cold showers to hot ones[and WHY? ]

Curiosity
Back to keyboard for a min...

I vacuumed and lost my "S"....

I like warm spa showers in winter and cold ones in summer.... :P

Curiosity
Quote: Originally Posted by Haggis McBagpipe

Ahhhh! So THAT'S what it is, it isn't the cheesecake and cookies after all!

(oh and no to ironing sheets, but I used to send sheets out to the dry cleaner to be washed, starched and pressed . . . 'way too expensive, though)

Haggis

Cheesecake? I thought it was health food!!! Protein and such.
:P Cold water it is tho...I'll try that first before I give up cheesecake.

NickFun

Well.....

Could also mean I need to hit the gym.