Hot wash vs Cold wash

varanz

Jan 8, 2006
Christchurch
www.varanz.com
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if you guys (Canadians) prefer hot wash or cold wash in regards to washing your clothes in the washing machine.

This is for my market research project, I am working for a company Vara NZ Ltd which manufactures Merino Wool socks.

Because Merino Wool shrinks in hot wash, so I am wondering if we need a big text saying "ONLY COLD WASH".

Thanks,

Jonathan W Chan and the Team at Vara NZ Ltd

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
This is kind of an obscure question, considering that the choice to wash clothes with hot or cold water doesn't boil down to any cultural standard....unless of course your Country lacks hot water then it's obviously cold washing only. That said i'm a cold water man, but that's only because I wash with Cold Water Tide™

P.S. Pay me money now Tide™

JoeyB

Electoral Member
Feb 2, 2006
Australia
hehe NZ merino :) another thing we have in common, merinos...

wool stuff herein our household is hand wash only in tepid (not quite cold, maybe 25-30C ) water with wool wash. Socks get washed with other undies on a warm cycle, but haven't yet shrunk. I'm thinking the usual Wool Standard logo (pure new wool) and Hand wash or Gentle machine Cold wash, DO NOT BLEACH, DO NOT TUMBLE DRY, DO NOT PICK YOUR NOSE, COOL IRON etc... (but honestly who's anal enough to iron their socks???)
I'm sure many understand the properties of wool, because their mother scolded them more than once for putting their woolly jumpers in with the tracksuits, or other tops with zips (bad!)
Doesn't hurt to learn the hard way occasionally... everyone keeps saying these days 'ignorance is no excuse' so eh... let them find out the hard way :D

thulin

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2006
Toro said:
Who washes dark clothes in hot water?
:?: Who washes ANY clothes in cold water :?:

Before I met my fiancé I separated dark and light clothes and washed them in 40 degrees celsius. Now a days my wash spectrum reaches as far as 60 and 90 degrees... :roll:

The´m women, what would we ever do withoute´m? :wink:

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005
I wash with cold water....because the cost of heating the water,at least here in Ontario,is skyrocketing.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
That's another good reason for the cold wash..after all,we are supposed to be conserving energy,right? I have to do aa laundry today,too :(

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
OOOOOPS Missile

I didn't plan my post to plop next to yours - it does look like I am saying you are "washing challenged".

I never meant that to be....

...it was just a general doofus blonde statement honest.... :oops:

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
No Problem! I just didn't want you to think I was so independently wealthy that I throw all my clothes away after wearing them once. :)

Linda

Sep 14, 2004
Ontario
Whites are washed in HOT water. Usually left to soak overnight. Damn kids and their socks.

Darks are washed in cold water. Sometimes warm, depending on the amount of ick on them.

Lights are usually tossed in with the whites, unless there's a lot and then they get their own load in warm water.

Whites RARELY go in the dryer to dry completely. Turns em gray and if you are a regular bleach user, they'll turn yellow.

Usually just toss all laundry in the dryer on the "air" cycle to reduce wrinkling. Then hang to dry. 'Cept for towels. Towels air dried = loofah sponge. :sad1:

Preference is to hang whites and bed sheets outside when weather/temp permit. In winter, whites are hung on a drying rack and sheets are in dryer.

thulin

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2006
Re: RE: Hot wash vs Cold wash

annabattler said:
I wash with cold water....because the cost of heating the water,at least here in Ontario,is skyrocketing.
I looked at a canadian power company and found that your prices were like 1/2 from mine..?!

OK, I live in a rental - heating included in rent..! :wink:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Well.....

I'd say warm is better than hot in most cases except for things that don't care....

If "warm" is still too hot for your clothes you can tell if the sleeves won't bend, the buttons pop off and you can't sit down without help! :p