Similarities and Differences between the US and Canada

Shiva

Electoral Member
Sep 8, 2005
Toronto
I'm assuming the literacy comparison is based on those who can pass basic literacy tests. It would be more interesting to compare the number of people who have attained a post-secondary education. The number of people with degrees is quite high in Canada, and I've read that nearly half the population has at least a bachelor's degree. Due to the greater gov't subsidies, a higher education is more attainable here, and I'm willing to bet that as a result, more Canadians have degrees vs Americans.

Also, they state that Canada has a $727.8 billion debt, however, according to this gov't website, our current national debt is $501.493 billion dollars. That's a significant difference...I can't help but wonder what the source of their information is?

Anyway, it was interesting to look at, though I do have to point out also that when it comes to the economic stats Americans have much more to pay for (health care, greater tuition costs) so those numbers alone are probably not the best indicator of how much wealth the average American has versus the average Canadian.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Re: RE: Similarities and Diff

no1important said:
That UNA is a right wing site. All they do is run Canada and the left down. If you say anything otherwise you are banned.

Could I ask which comparison offended you?

Uncle

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Similarities and Diff

One of the more important comparisons is actually religion. While Americans have been moving more towards affilliation with a specific church and have allowed the erosion between the separation of church and state, Canada has been moving the other way. We value the separation of church and state and place more emphasis on scientific proof than faith-based initiatives.

That spills over into everything, but especially who we will accept as a political leader.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Similarities and Diff

As an Englishman who's spent the last 4 months in all of north america (toronto right down to mexico city and back anti-clockwise), I honestly think it's got something to do with acceptance of government and figures in power, after spending a couple of days in georgetown nr washington I got fed up with this nonsense about George Washington and his band of cronies.

the fact is, the man was a liar, a cheat, a man who sold his soul to the corporations and did a very good marketing stitch up job against the english, every school child is taught that he could never tell a lie lol, and they accept this mostly, a lot also believe that this "war on terror" is about freedom and liberty, and they accept this, as I said, the english took land, but they never said they were giving freedom.

soz, but the fact is, Canada has grown into an independant nation, a nation which is generally much more accepting of ethnic minorities, and generaly because they (apart from in defence of their own nation against the said country) didnt fight for their freedom, which was handed over as they grew as a country, they arent forever upsetting their so-called allies with an arrogence only seen before from the previous global super power in the west.

basically, Canada is a good example of what the US could have looked like....generally a much nicer, pleasant place