national anthem

Cathou

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2005
Montréal
in another subject, we came across the oh canada. I'm curious about something : is canada is the only country to have 2 national anthem, or it's fairly common ?

yes we have two anthem. one in french and one in english.

here's the english official lyrics :

O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!

here the translation of the french one :

O Canada! Land of our forefathers
Thy brow is wreathed with a glorious garland of flowers.
As in thy arm ready to wield the sword,
So also is it ready to carry the cross.
Thy history is an epic of the most brilliant exploits.
Thy valour steeped in faith
Will protect our homes and our rights
Will protect our homes and our rights.

by the way, it's always funny to think that the original song is a pro-quebec song :wink:

Gordon J Torture

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Isn't there more Chinese speaking people in our country than there is French?

It doesn't make sense there is a french version anymore, especially with all the seperatist crap. Hell, if we really wanted to promote multiculturalism, we wouldn't have lyrics at all. The meaning of the song would be in the music itself. A concept that seems long forgotten.

Cathou

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2005
Montréal
Gordon J Torture said:

It doesn't make sense there is a french version anymore, especially with all the seperatist crap. Hell, if we really wanted to promote multiculturalism, we wouldn't have lyrics at all. The meaning of the song would be in the music itself. A concept that seems long forgotten.

we are still nearly 6 million in quebec only. i dont think that there is that much chinese in canada

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Gordon J Torture said:

Third most common first language, almost 872,400. [ur]http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/Products/Analytic/companion/lang/canada.cfm[/url]

Not all Quebecers are seperatists.

Gordon J Torture

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Gordon J Torture wrote:

Third most common first language, almost 872,400. [ur]http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/Products/Analytic/companion/lang/canada.cfm[/url]

Thanks for looking it up said, I was indolent in not doing so.

Well. If Chinese is the 3rd (and is very likely to become the second within a decade) most common language, I think there should be a Chinese version. If we fail to comply with this chinese version, I think all Chinese Canadians should go "frenchmen style", and cry and complain untill they either get their well deserved version, or lyrics become banned from our National Anthem all together, leaving only the music.