What is racism?

Does race account for differences in humans, in that a particular race is superior to others in cert

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Dictionary.Com defines racism as:

1) The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

2) Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

I agree with point number two, but as for point number one, I'm not sure. We view racism as a negative and to me point number one isn't.

Someone said in a group of people that "Countries that have a predominantly Caucasian population and have a Christian majority tend to be better off than those that don't” Another person told him he shouldn't say that, and that it was racist? Was it?

If someone says, "Most of the poor drivers he's seen and/or encountered have been Oriental people. Is that racist?

Or how about someone saying that "A lot of the murders in Toronto involve Black people." Is this wrong?

I know one should not make sweeping generalizations about entire groups of people, but it seems one is labeled a racist by making any statement regarding race.

For instance, when a Caucasian person questions the need for Black History month and wonders why there isn't a White history month, he/she is labeled a racist.

Just curious what people think, although I'll probably get labeled as a racist.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
DasFX said:
Someone said in a group of people that "Countries that have a predominantly Caucasian population and have a Christian majority tend to be better off than those that don't” Another person told him he shouldn't say that, and that it was racist? Was it?

Yes

DasFX said:
If someone says, "Most of the poor drivers he's seen and/or encountered have been Oriental people. Is that racist?

Yes

DasFX said:
Or how about someone saying that "A lot of the murders in Toronto involve Black people." Is this wrong?

Yes

DasFX said:
I know one should not make sweeping generalizations about entire groups of people, but it seems one is labeled a racist by making any statement regarding race.

For instance, when a Caucasian person questions the need for Black History month and wonders why there isn't a White history month, he/she is labeled a racist.

Just like the indignation witnessed at the Yellowknife city counsellor declaring heterosexual day, if we allowed there to be a white history month, we would be marginalizing the sacrifices and tragedies surrounding the black peoples' tremendous efforts to gain the same rights enjoyed by white people. We must always be aware of how far we've come as a society, to ensure we never slip down that far again...that is the point of observing those days, months and parades...not to show that the groups are special in any way, but to increase public awareness, and confront head-on the lingering bigotry that lies just beneath the surface of polite society...

DasFX said:

Yes

Frappuccino Dibs

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2005
Sadly it seems in the UK that racism is something that the ethnic minorities get away with whilst the white population get accused of it.

Racism in the clearist view is point 2 as you have said. However, it seems that businesses nowdays are being penalised for not having members of an ethnic minority on the payrole. Various sports like motor racing etc. are being slammed for not having members of an ethnic origin or even females involved.

In the UK it seems that if you were a black, disabled, female and you applied for a job; the company has to provide interviews and a greater chance of getting the job in order to not be persecuted for racism, sexism etc. when it is noticed that few or none are on the payrole.

This surely is racism as well!!!!!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I suppose gone are the days when the best person gets the job.

I thought we "won" the cold war? I guess winning isn't everything....

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Best person gets the job...too funny!!! not in any governmental dept!

It's not racist for a cop to pull over young black youth in a car yo check them out..It is racist to pull over older well dressed Black men.

I was pulled over constantly when I was young..why..because most most crimes were being caused by young men in cars...I was young..I was in a car...That be profiling..but hell it was reality.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Vanni Fucci said:
DasFX said:

Yes

How, if there is statistical proof to show such a statement is true, how can it be racist to merely point it out? Without getting into why this may be the case, I see no problem with stating a fact

DasFX said:

Yes

Why? Clearly the person has qualified the statement by stating that he is basing his comment on the poor driver's he has seen and/or encountered and also, he also states that it is not an absolute statement by saying that "most". Does it matter who is saying this? What if an oriental person in China said the same statement, would that be racist?

DasFX said:

Again, if a statistic can prove such a thing, it should not be bad to say. If I have 10 murders and 7 of them involve Black perpetrators, then the statement is fine.

Yes

DasFX said:

Just like the indignation witnessed at the Yellowknife city counsellor declaring heterosexual day, if we allowed there to be a white history month, we would be marginalizing the sacrifices and tragedies surrounding the black peoples' tremendous efforts to gain the same rights enjoyed by white people. We must always be aware of how far we've come as a society, to ensure we never slip down that far again...that is the point of observing those days, months and parades...not to show that the groups are special in any way, but to increase public awareness, and confront head-on the lingering bigotry that lies just beneath the surface of polite society...

I disagree; equality should know no bounds

DasFX said:

Yes

I'm not surprised, but that is only your definition of a racist. For me, stating true fact based on proper statistics is not racism

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
Only white people can be racist, apparently. If you're a white male, there isn't a damn thing you can say about any group of people that won't get you called racist or descriminatory. I'm sick of this PC crap. If something is a fact, then it should be allowed to be said. For instance, I've noticed that a large amount of people in my appartment building are black. I guess I'm a racist :)

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"I'm sick of this PC crap."

Well folks, if you want change in this dept, quit voting in leftist governments.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
AirIntake said:
Only white people can be racist, apparently. If you're a white male, there isn't a damn thing you can say about any group of people that won't get you called racist or descriminatory. I'm sick of this PC crap. If something is a fact, then it should be allowed to be said. For instance, I've noticed that a large amount of people in my appartment building are black. I guess I'm a racist :)

Hey, I'm not white, I'm brown (East Indian) and apparently I'm even a racist.

Here's a question concerning slurs towards African descendant people, why can they themselves say it to each other, sing/rap about it, but if any other person says it, all hell breaks lose? I've never understood that one, I'm assume everyone know the word I'm referring to. Can someone who is black explain?

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
AirIntake said:
For instance, I've noticed that a large amount of people in my appartment building are black. I guess I'm a racist :)

It would only be wrong if you assumed all black people lived in your building. Or if you assumed all the problems in your building was because of the black people. Finally if you just hated black folk, just because they were black.

However if you have a provable stat, then it is fine to state it.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Re: RE: What is racism?

ottawabill said:
It's not racist for a cop to pull over young black youth in a car yo check them out..It is racist to pull over older well dressed Black men.

It is only racist if there is an unjustified trend in pulling over a certain group of people. I mean with the results from Kingston PD, they're probably going to go the other way and not pull over blacks and natives just because they are black or native. I mean, pull over anybody, but do it for good reason.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
DasFX said:

Yes

How, if there is statistical proof to show such a statement is true, how can it be racist to merely point it out? Without getting into why this may be the case, I see no problem with stating a fact [/quote]

*sigh*

What statistical *proof* do you have that a Caucasian population would be better off with a Christian majority? To insinuate that to be true effectively denigrates people of other colours and religion, thus it is racist.

DasFX said:

Yes

Why? Clearly the person has qualified the statement by stating that he is basing his comment on the poor driver's he has seen and/or encountered and also, he also states that it is not an absolute statement by saying that "most". Does it matter who is saying this? What if an oriental person in China said the same statement, would that be racist?

Still, it's a generalization and points to a segment of the population as being inferior in some aspect, in this case their driving habits.

DasFX said:

Yes

Again, if a statistic can prove such a thing, it should not be bad to say. If I have 10 murders and 7 of them involve Black perpetrators, then the statement is fine.

No, it is not fine...it is racist in that you are singling out, yet again, a segment of the population and casting them in a negative light. If it is part of some statistical analysis, then I would hope that it would be presented along with statistics from other groups so that a true comparison can be made.

DasFX said:

I disagree; equality should know no bounds

Apparently you don't read your own posts, because nothing you've posted so far would indicate your desire for equality.

DasFX said:

Yes

I'm not surprised, but that is only your definition of a racist. For me, stating true fact based on proper statistics is not racism

As I said, if you want to state facts, then state them, but to be fair, your facts should be presented in a manner that is not conducive to singling out any segment for denigration or condemnation.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
If someone is an a**hole then they are an A***hole no matter what colour or country they are from. The polictical correctness to say or think otherwise is stupid. I am white, my wife is Chinese my kids are half....I can't stand as many chinese people as I like..If I say that a chinese person I know is stupid and obnoxious should I be called a racist? If I said chinese people are stupid then yes for sure I should be...I'd be the first one complaining if this happened near my kids.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
DasFX said:

Yes

How, if there is statistical proof to show such a statement is true, how can it be racist to merely point it out? Without getting into why this may be the case, I see no problem with stating a fact [/quote]

*sigh*

What statistical *proof* do you have that a Caucasian population would be better off with a Christian majority? To insinuate that to be true effectively denigrates people of other colours and religion, thus it is racist.

I never used the word "would", that would be pure speculation. The statement was looking at a current state of affairs and all one needs to do is look at a map and GDP values to see that the statement is a fact for today's world.

DasFX said:

Yes

Still, it's a generalization and points to a segment of the population as being inferior in some aspect, in this case their driving habits.

It isn't a generalization, that statement isn't for all orientals, it is the ones the person has observed. Are you telling me that it is wrong to tell someone they are a bad driver? So if I made a comment that said something positive about a group of people based on race, is that okay?

DasFX said:

Yes

No, it is not fine...it is racist in that you are singling out, yet again, a segment of the population and casting them in a negative light. If it is part of some statistical analysis, then I would hope that it would be presented along with statistics from other groups so that a true comparison can be made.

Stats aren't only there to present things in a positive light, sometime they show negative things. If 7 out of 10 murders are comitted by blacks, I do not see what is wrong with it? I mean there is no need to specify the who committed the other 3 murders cause the point of the statement was about the majority.

DasFX said:

Yes

As I said, if you want to state facts, then state them, but to be fair, your facts should be presented in a manner that is not conducive to singling out any segment for denigration or condemnation.

That's what stats do, they present information to single out trends. The statistic doesn't denigrate anyone, it just tell the truth. Who would have thought that stating the truth would be wrong. Not everything in life can be put in a positive light.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
So according to Vanni Fucci, if you make a statement that paints a racial group in a negative light, it is racist.

So are the following comments racist?

1) Most nazis or members of the KKK are Caucasian.

2) Most members of the Yakuza gang are Japanese

3) The majority of basketball players in the NBA aren't East Indian.

4) Most ice hockey players are not black.

5) Most members of the Columbia drug cartel are hispanic

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
  • So are the following comments racist?

1) Most nazis or members of the KKK are Caucasian.

2) Most members of the Yakuza gang are Japanese

3) The majority of basketball players in the NBA aren't East Indian.

4) Most ice hockey players are not black.

5) Most members of the Columbia drug cartel are hispanic

IMO the above are not racists comments. They could be racist IF you changed the word "most" to "all"

For every generalization someone will have an example that belies it.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Re: RE: What is racism?

ottawabill said:
If someone is an a**hole then they are an A***hole no matter what colour or country they are from. The polictical correctness to say or think otherwise is stupid. I am white, my wife is Chinese my kids are half....I can't stand as many chinese people as I like..If I say that a chinese person I know is stupid and obnoxious should I be called a racist? If I said chinese people are stupid then yes for sure I should be...I'd be the first one complaining if this happened near my kids.

Absolutely correct sir...