Is the CN Tower the Tallest building in the world?

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Sometimes I read that the CN Tower is the tallest "free standing structure" and not the tallest "building". I have a guiness book of world records from 98 that says it's the tallest building, and the last time I went to it a sign said it was too. So which is it? Tallest building or free standing structure?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Gonzo said:
Sometimes I read that the CN Tower is the tallest "free standing structure" and not the tallest "building". I have a guiness book of world records from 98 that says it's the tallest building, and the last time I went to it a sign said it was too. So which is it? Tallest building or free standing structure?

Well, I guess it _is_ a building., technically. So maybe both are right?

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
What is the World's Tallest Building?

Q. What is the World's Tallest Building?

A.
It depends on who does the measuring! Skyscraper buffs disagree on whether features like flagpoles, antennas, and spires should be included when measuring building height.

Also under dispute is the question of what, exactly, constitutes a building. Technically, observation towers and communications towers are considered structures, not buildings, because they are not habitable. They do not have residential or office space.

If you count only habitable space and measure from the sidewalk level of the main entrance to the structural top of building (excluding flagpoles and spires), then the tallest buildings in the world are the Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Designed by Cesar Pelli and completed in 1998, the Petronas Twin Towers are approximately 452 meters (1,483 feet) tall.

If you include decorative spires, then the almost-completed Taipei 101 Tower in Taipei, Taiwan is the world's tallest building. With the soaring spike on its roof, Taipei Tower is about 508 meters (1,667 feet) tall. But Taipei Tower will not keep its ranking for long. When it is completed, the new World Trade Center in New York City is expected to rise 541 meters (1,776 feet) tall, including its enormous spire.

However, if spires, flagpoles, and antennas can be counted when we measure building heights, perhaps rankings of the World's Tallest Buildings should include all man-made structures, whether or not they contain habitable space. In this case, the CN Tower in Canada is the world's tallest building. The communications tower and tourist attraction measures 553.33 meters (1,815 ft., 5 inches) tall.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Is the CN Tower the T

It is for now.

The Centre of India Tower, Katangi, India is /was due to be completed in 2008 it is 677 metres or 2222 feet high.

Here

The other thing is Americans don't consider the CN tower a buiding because they don't want to admit being second best. They hate it when you tell them the CN Tower is taller that Sears tower etc....

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Re: RE: Is the CN Tower the T

no1important said:
It is for now.

The Center of India Tower, Katangi, India due to be completed in 2008 677 metre or 2222 feet.

Here

The other thing is Americans don't consider the CN tower a buiding because they don't want to admit being second best.

Looks like we're gonna have to glue 100 metre sticks to the CN tower. I wonder if 3M Canada would sponsor such a venture?

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle

no1important said:
They hate it when you tell them the CN Tower is taller that Sears tower etc....
:twisted: :D :lol: 8O

That would be the Kmart tower,now wouldn't it? :wink:

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Anyone see "Canadian Bacon"? It sort of centers around the CN Tower. I saw a movie where Jenifer Lopez was a Chicago cop and in the background you could see the CN Tower. I guess we're suppose to believe they built one there.
I always thought it would be cool for Senators fans if we built a CN Tower 1 foot taller here in Ottawa.

HOCK

Nominee Member
Feb 18, 2005
Kingston, Ontario
Checked in GOGGLE - World's tallest structure is the CN Tower in Toronto at 553m/1815'. The PETRONIUS Platform in the Gulf of Mexico is 640m/2100' (with its spire) however 535m is under water so it does not count as a free standing structure. The world's tallest building is the Taipei 101 in Taipei, Taiwan at 101 stories, 509m/1670'

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
Re: RE: Is the CN Tower the Tallest building in the world?

missile said:
It would be,if it had a flashing blue light on the top.

The Blue light's coming, Missle. Sears was aquired by Kmart in a hostile takeover down here. Don't let anyone try to tell you it was a merger. Hence the Kmart tower in Chicago( the tower formerly known as Sears :p )

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Vanni Fucci said:
Andem said:
Looks like we're gonna have to glue 100 metre sticks to the CN tower. I wonder if 3M Canada would sponsor such a venture?

From and engineering perspective, it would take twelve rolls of duct tape to keep it...erm...erect... :wink:

maybe we could blow it up, and blame it on Bin.

if we act quickly we might get away with it.....