Press Freedom In Saint John

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
We had a nice free alternative weekly here and in Moncton called "Here". The Irving Conglomerate bought them out earlier this year and promised that the contents would stay the same and that the editor and writers would be free to print anything they wanted. so,after only a few months,the crackdown has hit,and most of the staff has been fired or has quit..and the new content is towing the Irving line.Here,you either play by Irving rules or you are paved over! As of today,there is no freedom of the Press here. :(

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
somehow this does not surprise me. i lived in nova scotia a long time ago, (about 30 years ago!) and it was the same stuff then. nothing has changed, obviously. why don't you start up your own daily and call it the 'and there'.....ha! sorry - couldn't resist......

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Because when the Irvings come over and offer me the big bucks to sell out,I would. Just knowing I am corruptable keeps me from doing it. The alternative is having a mysterious fire that totally destroys your presses and building-the fate suffered by a real comparable paper started here in the '80's to compete with the Irving rag.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Press Freedom In Sain

We've really got to get some laws about this kind of thing in this country. It's ridiculous how under-represented views that do not reflect those of the corporate power-elite are.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
That won't be happening! Too many politicians have taken advantage of those free flights to the infamous Irving Fishing Lodge on the Mirimichi.