Obesity on the rise in Canada

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
CBC News
OTTAWA - An eight-year survey shows that Canadian women, younger men, smokers and low-income individuals are most likely to become obese.

Statistics Canada's National Population Health Survey on Obesity studied a group of women and men between the ages of 20 to 56 for eight years, concluding that in that time period, 1.1 million adult Canadians went from being overweight to obese.

The findings show that a greater number of men than women went from a normal weight range to being overweight, but the women were more likely to go from being overweight to obese.

Overweight men in their twenties and thirties stood a better chance of becoming obese than overweight men in their fifties. Obesity was also more likely to strike overweight women in their twenties than those in their fifties.

Overweight male smokers were almost 50 per cent more likely to become obese than non-smokers, a finding that contradicts earlier suggestions that showed smokers less likely to be obese.

These latest figures worry Dr. Richard Stanwick, Chief Medical Health Officer for Vancouver Island.

"[Canadians] are going to be looking forward to a life expectancy that is shorter and associated with more problems and less pleasant outcomes than their parents," he says.

Income also plays a factor in weight gain. The study found that men and women living in a high-income household were 40 per cent less likely to become obese.

The risk of becoming obese was almost 50 per cent lower among overweight women who reported occasional drinking, compared with those who never drank.

The study also examined geographic differences, but found no relationship between region of residence and the risk of becoming obese.

Obese parents increased the risk that their children would also become obese, according to the study, which also concluded that interventions that focus on prevention may be more effective than efforts to lose weight.

In a report released on Wednesday, the Association for Canadian Studies said 48 per cent of Canadian adults are overweight and almost 15 per cent obese. The report used Statistics Canada figures from 2003.

Newfoundland and Labrador and Nova Scotia claimed the highest proportions of obese people (21.5 per cent and 21 per cent), while British Columbia and Quebec were at the low end of the scale (12.1 per cent and 12.6 per cent).

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Obesity on the rise i

Internet, 500 channel universe,Remote controls, X-Box, Play stations, the drive through, a fast food joint on every corner, quick microwaveable dinners from supermarket, lack of exercise.

So I am not suprised.

It will be the next target of governments once they get rid of all the smokers. They will put a "fat tax" on junk and fast food. Obesity will be as bad or worse for the health care system, as smokers are.

Plus the governments will need to make up the tax money from the lack of smokers. They will come out and announce an anti-obesity war and tax all things unhealthy.

EmmaDibbs

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2004
Bournemouth, UK
The UK is now the fattest country in Europe. The goverment have had to start tackling the number of obese people about. There are all sorts of TV programs on about it trying to get peple exercising, etc. The scary thing is that there are loads of fat children popping up all over the place- they play conputers and watch telly rather than getting out in the fresh air and then their parents wonder why they are fat.
Schools are trying to help by banning junk foods from lunch boxes and issuing fruit to the kids at break times.
Obesity costs our health care system as much as somking does!

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I blame video games and computers. I still love playing hockey and soccer, and I bike all the time. But now when I see kids, there are alot of fat ones. It used to be, when I was a kid, that there may of been one or two overweight kids in a class. And they usualy had a condition that they couldn't help. But today there are so many, they cant all have a condition.

Foo1

I have to agree. The computer games and stuff are taking over children's lives. However, I don't think that the fat increase is very notocable. At my schoo, there are hardly and overweight people at all; maybe 20 or so in the 1300 students. Maybe they are so addicted to computer games that they forget to eat!! :)

Speaking of computer games (incoming rant), I think that the increased computer game playing in youth has a different side effect. Now that the kids are addicted top computer games and TV, they no longer play with toys such as lego, K'nex and all that stuff which helps develope problem solving skills and engineering thinking. If you stand back and look at adolecent society, all there is inside are videogames. Sad. Of course, there are somempeople lioke me who build models, draw and do other stuff but we are a minority. Continuing on my rant against teen society, I have noticed that the academic performance of teens is also slipping. I overheard a bunch teens talking on the bus a few days ago and they were talking about how lucky some guy was because he got 1 60% on a test. I mean, 60%!!! what happened to the accademic standards!! Oh well, I at least there will be less competition for me when I enter the workforce...

whicker

Electoral Member
Feb 20, 2005
Ontario
Foo1 you have a good post but I wouldn't limit it just to preteens and teens. It is just as rampant in 'adults'. Aside from the don't think mentality that is being raised our education system sucks when it comes to education.
Before you enter the workforce just make sure that you pick a field that has opportunity and then be able to spell, read, write and dress properly :)

jamie

Electoral Member
Oct 22, 2004
the wang
Yeah, some news article I read the other day said that 43% of Canadians were overweight. Such is life....

icklemiss21

Jan 16, 2005
Burlington, ON
Aside from the computer games and such... starting work late today I was surprised by the number of kids that live near us waiting for the school bus (obviously they are inside playing xbox all the time so I don't see them.

But what surprised me most was the parents that were crossing to the school bus area with younger children. This is on a busy road that many people use as a short cut throw the city. Rather than walk the 30ft from the entrance to the apartment building to the nearest crossing, they cross at the drive way, many not even looking!

30ft is not that far... and my neighbour was complaining that she nearly got hit by a car crossing so I said to her well why don't you use the crosswalk and she says 'but its all the way down there!'.

With children being taught to take short cuts such as that from such an early age - its hardly surprising that they don't take up any sports and spend their time indoors on their computers.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Gonzo said:
Newfoundland and Labrador and Nova Scotia claimed the highest proportions of obese people (21.5 per cent and 21 per cent), while British Columbia and Quebec were at the low end of the scale (12.1 per cent and 12.6 per cent).

I'm a little surprised that NFLD/Lab and NS are the fattest provinces. I mean they are both outdoor paradises, and I would have thought the higher proportion seafood diet would be healthier. I was expecting Ontario to be the fattest what with all the conveniences and zero time for exercise.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
DasFX said:
I was expecting Ontario to be the fattest what with all the conveniences and zero time for exercise.

But instead of exercising were working... :wink:

The Philosopher

Nominee Member
DasFX said:
Gonzo said:

I'm a little surprised that NFLD/Lab and NS are the fattest provinces. I mean they are both outdoor paradises, and I would have thought the higher proportion seafood diet would be healthier. I was expecting Ontario to be the fattest what with all the conveniences and zero time for exercise.

I'm actually quite surprised by this as well. But then again I guess it also depends on what "obese" means. I've met some people who by definition who would be caled "obese" and they look perfectly thin. There aren't that many heavily overweight people in Newfoundland but I guess obesity would be high.

I don't think we can blame the computers, the games, or the government. Blame parents. Parents are getting lazy and completely lack the ability to properly raise their own children. You know what my parents did when the Atari first came out? They locked me out of the house for 3 hours a day. So did most of the other parents in the neighborhood.

There's a odd trend of rudeness forming in my neighborhood among youngins and bad parents. Maybe that's just Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, maybe that's why we're the most obese in Canada.

Do we actually have any right whatsoever to tell people they can not be overweight, can not smoke, can not do drugs, can not play games, can not gamble, can not do whatever they wish so long as it does not affect us directly?

To legislate such is simply adding more discrimination to our society. Education about health and heathy lifestyle choices are the key, not rules imposed after the fact.

Taxes and regulations are a negative approach to the problems..................

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
DasFX said:
Jay said:
DasFX said:
I was expecting Ontario to be the fattest what with all the conveniences and zero time for exercise.

Oh yes, ha, ha, ha. Make fun of high unemployment out east!

I figured you would see it that way.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Jay said:
DasFX said:
Jay said:
DasFX said:

Oh yes, ha, ha, ha. Make fun of high unemployment out east!

I figured you would see it that way.

What's that supposed to mean? Hey if we were speaking in person, it would be different, if we actually knew each other, it would be different. Humour on the internet with strangers at the expense of others is a fine line.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
It is supposed to mean, I knew you would see it that way.

I guess I know you better than you thought. :wink:

A little humour at the expense of Easterners’ isn’t going to hurt them, they are a fun loving bunch of people.

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
As we are sitting here ourselves rotting in front of a computer, wondering why our kids sit and play games all the time..........

If were weren't so afraid of our children being molested by strangers, I am sure we would be thrilled to let them go outside.

Kids won't get exercise if we don't let them go outside. How can they run if we must have our eyes on them?

Maybe once we let go of the fear, our kids will be free to play outside again. Until then, video games will be it, and our kids will be fat, lazy slobs.

SECONDGEN

Electoral Member
Jun 7, 2005
Near the Rockies
Re: RE: Obesity on the rise in Canada

GreenGreta said:
As we are sitting here ourselves rotting in front of a computer, wondering why our kids sit and play games all the time..........

If were weren't so afraid of our children being molested by strangers, I am sure we would be thrilled to let them go outside.

Kids won't get exercise if we don't let them go outside. How can they run if we must have our eyes on them?

Maybe once we let go of the fear, our kids will be free to play outside again. Until then, video games will be it, and our kids will be fat, lazy slobs.

Perhaps so, but what about all those things we created to make like easier for us, drive thru's, OMG we are so pathetic we have to drive thru, yep for coffee, meals, banking Good lord we can't even walk those few steps for those few items. Sad, sad sad. It isn't just about the kids, our behaviors as adults puts kids in these positions. Because we add conveniences to our lives we are less active, with less activity comes complacency (if that is correct spelling) and with that our kids get away with being slugs. Why? Because we are too lazy to do anything with our kids. Not just Canadians....