The Governor General

Is the Gov.-Gen. effective, and was Byng right to refuse King's petition to dissolve Parliament?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Indifferent

• Total voters

Kaiser Mattanthas

Apr 7, 2005
Currently Alberta
Greetings all. I'm new to this board, but certainly not new to Canadian politics and/or government.

I am currently researching the role (traditional and modern), viability (fiscally, socially) and the future necessity of the Governor General (currently Adrianne Clarkson) in Canada.

*CONTENT DELETED*

My apologies to readers: I recently discovered someone in a Quebec university (don't ask which one - it's none of your business) completely ripped off the essay I wrote - and posted under copyright - from this page. That teaches me!!!

Kaiser Mattanthas

Apr 7, 2005
Currently Alberta
GHAH! My colouring and paragraph spacing didn't work. I will come back later to fix them.

I also realize that my poll doesn't make any real sense - ignore the second question and just respond to the issue of effectiveness, please.

I look forward to reading your responses!!!!

Kaiser

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Very interesting post. It kind of throws "sovereign" Canada out the window doesnt it? Instead of this constant bitching of the United States on how they one day "may" take over Canada, maybe you should focus on getting rid of Her Majesty that HAS already taken over Canada.
Then again, appeasement is your first choice even when it concerns yourselves.

Really, you spend so much time and so much energy complaining on how the United States is trying to run your lives, and whats black and white in your Constitution Act you ignore.

Its very easy to point out whats wrong with everybody else, take a good hard look at yourselves, most of the listings on this post compares your laws, your society, your people to the US, blank out the big bad US for a moment and what do you see? I see a nation in an "identity crisis", and from what I have read of Canadian history, I'm relatively convinced John MacDonald had alot to do with it. (He was Scottish and loyal to the crown after all)

Then again, what do I know, I'm just a dumb American that is particurlaly fond of its northern neighbor

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I think not said:
Very interesting post. It kind of throws "sovereign" Canada out the window doesnt it? Instead of this constant bitching of the United States on how they one day "may" take over Canada, maybe you should focus on getting rid of Her Majesty that HAS already taken over Canada.

Really, you spend so much time and so much energy complaining on how the United States is trying to run your lives, and whats black and white in your Constitution Act you ignore.

Its very easy to point out whats wrong with everybody else, take a good hard look at yourselves, blank out the big bad US for a moment and what do you see? I see a nation in an "identity crisis", and from what I have read of Canadian history, I'm relatively convinced John MacDonald had alot to do with it.

The again, what I know, I'm just a dumb American that is particurlaly fond of its northern neighbor

I agree with you to a degree ITN, but since the Queen has no real powers here, the only issues I have is how much it costs to keep her our head of state. But she also provides a safety net for Canada incase somebody who is destructive gets into power.

We'll see. Australia is on the road to becoming a republic, and I think if it works out there, Canada would soon be in motion towards the same thing.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
My apologies if I have offended, that was not my intent. I visit Canada constantly, have many friends there and business (for non profit purposes) takes me there. I know this is sort of a thorn for many Canadians (sort of unspoken).

And yes, sorry peapod for the abrupt entrance.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I think not said:
My apologies if I have offended, that was not my intent. I visit Canada constantly, have many friends there and business (for non profit purposes) takes me there. I know this is sort of a thorn for many Canadians (sort of unspoken).

And yes, sorry peapod for the abrupt entrance.

You didn't offend me. You are entitled to your opinion, just as MANY Canadians are quite open about their opinions about your country.

I do agree with you to a degree, as I said. And welcome ;) You should hop over to the introduction forum to make your official entrance!

Cheers!

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Andem said:
I think not said:

Its very easy to point out whats wrong with everybody else, take a good hard look at yourselves, blank out the big bad US for a moment and what do you see? I see a nation in an "identity crisis", and from what I have read of Canadian history, I'm relatively convinced John MacDonald had alot to do with it.

The again, what I know, I'm just a dumb American that is particurlaly fond of its northern neighbor

I agree with you to a degree ITN, but since the Queen has no real powers here, the only issues I have is how much it costs to keep her our head of state. But she also provides a safety net for Canada incase somebody who is destructive gets into power.

We'll see. Australia is on the road to becoming a republic, and I think if it works out there, Canada would soon be in motion towards the same thing.

Actually, she does have powers, she doesn't enforce them because of a public outcry if she did. But if it ever warrants it, she has the right through her Governor General to do so. Is it wrong she annoys the hell out of me? Someone 3000 miles away that has basically contributed NOTHING to Canada is on your currency. And lets forget currency for a moment, all legal government proceedings are Her Majesty the Queen versus whomever NOT The People of Canada versus whomever. OK, maybe I'm overeacting, I just can't stand her :x

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
:p Get rid of her and that Carlyle group card carrying Queen and her dumb ass family :wink: A total waste of our tax money :x

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
I think new citizens still need to pledge allegiance to the Queen in the oath of citizenship...? I agree, mrmom - get rid of her and her dysfunctional, inbred family. The very idea of "royalty" is offensive.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Okay, I'm going to start at the beginning.

First of all, the King/Byng Affair only gave the government to the other guy for four days. His government then fell. King's campaign was run on having a foreigner, the Governor General, meddling in the democratic affairs of Canada. King won a majority after that.

That makes me wonder if the question is even valid. Is the Governor General effective? Yes. The position comes with a staff that can inform them on consitutional matters. More than that, this particular Governor General, while her spending has been highly questionable, has also been an excellent PR person for Canada. That isn't part of her official duties, but it should be because it's highly valuable.

Then there's the other part of the question,"...was Byng right to refuse King's petition to dissolve Parliament?"

Constitutionally he was right. There is no doubt that what he did was legal. It obviously didn't seem right to Canadians happy though. What brought on the crisis is the first place was King being involved in a scandal. Any worries about that melted away in hurry as somebody from England took him out of power and put in an unelected Prime Minister though.

Would that happen today? I don't know, but I can't see Clarkson doing this. Since she is appointed by the Prime Minister, the backlash would be extreme but it likely wouldn't be directed at the Conservatives this time around.

Clarkson believes in her office, so she will want to protect it in any way she can. Making a King/Byng-like decsion would endanger her office, not protect it.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Tax money better spent on education or health care Rev plus if we want promotion it would be cheaper and better to hire a company :wink:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Hire a company? Just what we need, a bunch advertising guys on government expense account travelling around Europe. Then we can spend $80 or $90 million on an enquiry into where the money went and the official opposition can waste a year scandal-mongering instead of discussing policy.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good one I bet if the company was hired out of Manitoba or BC we would get our moneys worth :p

whicker

Electoral Member
Feb 20, 2005
Ontario
Andem said:
[quote

It doesn't cost Canada anything to keep the Queen. :!:
The GG however is another matter. :x
As for power, the only say she has in are issues dealing with the natives.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
whicker said:
Andem said:
[quote

It doesn't cost Canada anything to keep the Queen. :!:
The GG however is another matter. :x
As for power, the only say she has in are issues dealing with the natives.

Perhaps it doesn't cost anything, what is the purpose of having her all over your Constitution? Why do you have your army swearing allegiance to royalty? Why do landed immigrants when the time comes swear allegiance to her? The GG is an extension of her. When you amended your constitution in 1982 you should of gotten rid of her and her whole f**ckin family. When was the last time she did anything for Canada?

whicker

Electoral Member
Feb 20, 2005
Ontario
"Perhaps it doesn't cost anything, what is the purpose of having her all over your Constitution? Why do you have your army swearing allegiance to royalty? Why do landed immigrants when the time comes swear allegiance to her? The GG is an extension of her. When you amended your constitution in 1982 you should of gotten rid of her and her whole f**ckin family. When was the last time she did anything for Canada?"

It is part of our heritage, culture, tradition and --- constitution. It is part of what has made and still makes Canada unique in a world of republics.
The GG is an expense to Canada which should be curtailed - at least with her majesty clarkson.
Does the Queen have to 'do' something for us? As long as she doesn't interfere with Canada then what is the problem? As for her family? Well, it is an anything goes world so why should they behave any differently because they happen to be born into that family?
Do I remember from reading previous/other posts that you are American?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: The Governor General

whicker said:
"Perhaps it doesn't cost anything, what is the purpose of having her all over your Constitution? Why do you have your army swearing allegiance to royalty? Why do landed immigrants when the time comes swear allegiance to her? The GG is an extension of her. When you amended your constitution in 1982 you should of gotten rid of her and her whole f**ckin family. When was the last time she did anything for Canada?"

It is part of our heritage, culture, tradition and --- constitution. It is part of what has made and still makes Canada unique in a world of republics.
The GG is an expense to Canada which should be curtailed - at least with her majesty clarkson.
Does the Queen have to 'do' something for us? As long as she doesn't interfere with Canada then what is the problem? As for her family? Well, it is an anything goes world so why should they behave any differently because they happen to be born into that family?
Do I remember from reading previous/other posts that you are American?

Yes I am an American. And you are not a republic you are a constitutional monarchy, and certainly not unique, Australia has exactly the same form of government as Canada along with a few other countries in the commonwealth. And I would say yes she has to "do" something otherwise why swear allegiance to her? And she hasn't interfered because she chooses not to undoubtly because of a public outcry. And do not take offense to what I'm saying, I'm expressing an opinion, nor am I attempting to "compare" the US constitution with Canada.