Revenue Canada Says follow law not our instructions

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"Revenue Canada officials had checked my books late 1999, 2000, and they said what I was doing was perfectly okay. I was following their policies to the letter," says Phillips, who ran workshops on band management. "Now they say that doesn't matter."

"They say that I'm on the hook for probably close to $100,000," says Phillips. "They've put liens against my property. They seized half my income. I can't get my RRSPs out. Everything has been frozen or seized."

And ppl wonder why we don't trust our government....

Thanks Tibear for the link.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Revenue Canada Says f

GST has been a nightmare for small businesses since the start. They still send me a remittance form for a business I closed years ago. That damned form shows up every three months though. I did every I was supposed to when I shut down. I used to jump through their hoops every time, now I just toss the form in the trash. I still have to fill out and remit the one for writing though.

The government is going to find that they cannot charge GST for services performed on a reserve. It is a battle that they simply won't win because the treaties are very clear on it. They also will not get any support from the Department of Indian and Northern Affairs.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Revenue Canada Says f

They say "Rev Canada" may go back years to collect GST that was not collected for "services" done with First Nation Reserves. Nothing is final yet but it is sickening they can do that or even change the "law" or "rules" to go after people retroactively(sp)

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
The feds are not happy with one hand in your pocket they got to have both in there.That way they can give us all a good squeeze when they feel like it :lol:

CrEsPo

Nominee Member
Jan 27, 2005
Canada
www.inter.it
Re: RE: Revenue Canada Says follow law not our instructions

mrmom2 said:
The feds are not happy with one hand in your pocket they got to have both in there.That way they can give us all a good squeeze when they feel like it :lol:

LOL!

I think that appropriately suits the situation at hand.

I myself am still only a youngster but I believe things with the PST and GST are fine they way they are right now. Not sure if I got the numbers reversed but 0.08% PST and 0.07% GST isn't that much. For the government it accumulates and helps us out as a country.