What is a Canadian man like?

tree

Mar 6, 2005
People always say that cultures, education, and environment shape a person’s values and norms. However, I find it is difficult to understand a Canadian man or boy because I am new here, I have different cultural background, my language is not so good, and I am a woman. I don’t know what men here think and cannot expect what they will speak and behave. I don’t know how to get along well with them. But I want to do well because I not only need to but also wish to. I think if I know what a typical Canadian man's characteristics, especially what's his value and culture to get along with the opposite sex, things will be easier for me. Can anyone help me out in this problem? Thank you very much!

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
RE: What is a Canadian ma

Ha, Tree ... you think men are tough? Try figuring out women! And I happen to be one. ;)

jamie

Electoral Member
Oct 22, 2004
the wang
All men are pigs, tree, regardless of their nationality. :jerk:

Just kidding....well, no not really.

edgerunner

Electoral Member
Sep 28, 2004
Seattle
I have found tthat Canadian men hate to be steriotyped, so I won't even go there and you should not expect one normal set of definitions to apply to all Canadian men, Tree. I have found, however that for the most part, the Canadian men I have met are a polite, charming and opinionated group of people and due to the harsh, Northern climate they are used to, they make excellent 'bed warmers'. A Canadian man will not take easily to being classified annd react harshly to the bed-warmer reference that I just made. They will probably not get physically violent with me, but, will withhold feet warming priviledges untill I learn a Valueable Life Lesson concerning generalizing people and their qualities. That is a good thing and I have learned volumns about how to treat the world with compassion and respect from these wise fellows.
For the most part, they are an accepting group and try not to put value judgements on others. Even though they have developed a highly evolved vocabulary of off-colour words for Pedestrians and greedy drivers. They, themselves are courteous drivers and obey the laws of the highway to the max. It gets less scary with each episode and it is an entertaining pastime to see their antics.
Even though they seek peacefull answers for todays problems, you might not be able to tell that they are taking that path.
Canadian men are usually loving and caring partners and try very hard to keep their families safe and happy.
Beer may be the only thing that would hinder this goal. Beer seems to come first in most cases. You must have an entire line for beer in any budget you are trying to follow.
On the negetive tip, I really have no comments as this is a rare and unusual occurance.
I recommend that you look around as the Rev suggested and find a Canadian man to devote your entire life to.
You will find the investment a great one.
Keep this a secret.....eh?
We don't want the entire world scoping out the herd.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Yo Yo edgy :p you crack me up!!!!
Tree I don't even know why its important really. There is no formula for it. You meet women you like, and you meet men you like. You also meet men and women you don't like. I have alot of male friends, I always have, some go back 20 years. We are equal in every way, so gender does not really have anything to do with it. Of course we like to dish them :p but mostly its just in fun.

I have always found my male friends, trustworthy, loyal and a wealth of knowledge that you mine and use for a rainy day :p And more than once they have been there for me when I needed it. And most of them really know how to fish :wink: So on that basis alone what is not to like :p

You have to put up with certain annoyances...like ehm...last night my two friends return from cancun..they are males, I have known them since I was a teenager. Naturally they stayed overnight with me. When this happens without fail!!! I always end up almost falling in the toilet in the middle of night, why???? because they never put the seat down!!!!!!!! worse when I go turn the bathtub on in the morning, well I am not happy to be blasted by a shower.

Plus they always buy me something I don't like!!! you would think by now they know what I like...ehm but they don't really listen do they :p But we did end up rolling around on the floor laughing our heads off, we actually thought we might get sick from laughing so hard...we were watching kink...which always cracks us up uncontrollably....hehehehehhehehehe through gasping breath one
manages to say...oh man I cannot believe it....hahahahahhaahahaha

tree

Mar 6, 2005
I typed in a thousand words, but when submitting, the system told me to re-register, and the words were totally gone ... it took me long time ... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

tree

Mar 6, 2005
Yo please go on...
It will take me some time to recover from this hurt...
:cry:

tree

Mar 6, 2005
Thank you peapod for saying my written English is good. My spoken English is not as good as the written one. I’ve been in Atlantic Canada for several months, and known some local guys. I know that my view toward them is superficial, but I still want to share with you my current view.
They are very ordinary when you see them at first glance, and look quiet and peaceful, but once you know them more, they appear charming, as edgerunner said. they are sophisticated, independent, optimistic, and polite. To my surprise, people here tend to be conservative, some even more conservative than people in some eastern countries it seems. Unlike what I’ve seen from some western movies, in which men are very open and free to sex and love, they look serious and stable to girlfriends and wives. Husbands are very caring to their families, as edgerunner said.
But they are not talkative, especially to people they don’t know much.
I asked this question because I kind of had some problem with some guy. I didn’t understand his words and actions. It made me sad. I wanted to write something about him, but now it is not necessary, because recently we had a chance to talk and bettered our communication, and it came out to be good. I think he is a goo guy. Now I know that different culture is not a real barrier, but mis-communication is a barrier.
I thinking having some friends with them would be great, so peapod you are lucky.
I don’t want to stereotype Canadian men, also I don’t know if my view is right or not. As a new, I’m looking at them with curiosity.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"I’m looking at them with curiosity."

And what a curiosity we are! :)

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
For some reason, people from other countries have ideas about what Canadians are like. From my travels, once you get past silly cultural differences, humans are all the same. You have good people and bad people. In atlantic Canada, the bad people still bash seals in the head. If they own a seal club, stay away from them. The good people play awsome music.