BC Maple Syrup!!

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Looks like we might have a new industry here, seems our maples out here do have sap to make maple syrup. I am not sure how good a quality it will be. Galaniomama and I are taking a class tomarrow on how to harvest maple syrup from BC maples....of course galaniomama thinks there is maple liquior involved...its the only way I could convince her to go... :p

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Looks like we might have a new industry here, seems our maples out here do have sap to make maple syrup. I am not sure how good a quality it will be. Galaniomama and I are taking a class tomarrow on how to harvest maple syrup from BC maples....of course galaniomama thinks there is maple liquior involved...its the only way I could convince her to go... :p

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
My father used to tap his trees and he's in Saskatchewan. The maple cider he tried to make was basically syrup with alcohol in it, but it was good on bannock.

The real syrup (non-fermented) he made wasn't quite as good as what you get from Quebec, but it was really good.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
My father used to tap his trees and he's in Saskatchewan. The maple cider he tried to make was basically syrup with alcohol in it, but it was good on bannock.

The real syrup (non-fermented) he made wasn't quite as good as what you get from Quebec, but it was really good.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Let us know how it goes, Pea.

It would be wonderful if we could have something like that here in BC.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well twila its like this.....we never made it to the workshop in duncan...This is what happens whenever galaniomama and I make a plan...we always get side tracked :p

It started off the way it was suppose to...hop in her horse and buggy (her jeep) and climb the malahat....but we decided to check out galaniomama husband's latest masterpiece 8)....Galaniomamas husband is a architect..since you are a islander by orgin...you know the place I speak of...right at the top of the malahat....and than "DOWN" the washed out road...oh boy galaniomama was freaking me out..with all the screaming....especially since she had the wheel 8O....well anyway right on the bluff galaniomama's husband has built a frank loyd wright house for a american doctor. Right there on top of a bluff overlooking Flynnsion Arm. Its unbelievable!!! the house and the spot. Its not finished, but will be soon. The thing about this piece of property is that the back end of the property is the mountain wall we just went down, so this little spot has its own climate, there are olive trees 8O 8O
Look over the bluff and you can see seals wizzing and spinning in the crystal clear ocean below. Galaniomama and I spot the kayaks and the rest is history...we raced and spun around the inlet most of the day :p :p Also here is something I did not know either...we had a little yak with someone on the water, a little chat near a big red bouy, which is a marker for divers. They follow this marker down to sponges. Apparently there are sponges in this inlet that are the size of volkswagen 8O ..

Anyway we never made the workshop...but we saw lots of bird life and critters...and a awesome house....and garden...and before we knew it, time to climb up the mountain and than drive down the mountain....a good day :wink: But I will find out about the maple syrup.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well twila its like this.....we never made it to the workshop in duncan...This is what happens whenever galaniomama and I make a plan...we always get side tracked :p

It started off the way it was suppose to...hop in her horse and buggy (her jeep) and climb the malahat....but we decided to check out galaniomama husband's latest masterpiece 8)....Galaniomamas husband is a architect..since you are a islander by orgin...you know the place I speak of...right at the top of the malahat....and than "DOWN" the washed out road...oh boy galaniomama was freaking me out..with all the screaming....especially since she had the wheel 8O....well anyway right on the bluff galaniomama's husband has built a frank loyd wright house for a american doctor. Right there on top of a bluff overlooking Flynnsion Arm. Its unbelievable!!! the house and the spot. Its not finished, but will be soon. The thing about this piece of property is that the back end of the property is the mountain wall we just went down, so this little spot has its own climate, there are olive trees 8O 8O
Look over the bluff and you can see seals wizzing and spinning in the crystal clear ocean below. Galaniomama and I spot the kayaks and the rest is history...we raced and spun around the inlet most of the day :p :p Also here is something I did not know either...we had a little yak with someone on the water, a little chat near a big red bouy, which is a marker for divers. They follow this marker down to sponges. Apparently there are sponges in this inlet that are the size of volkswagen 8O ..

Anyway we never made the workshop...but we saw lots of bird life and critters...and a awesome house....and garden...and before we knew it, time to climb up the mountain and than drive down the mountain....a good day :wink: But I will find out about the maple syrup.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
oh. So your a hard core islander. Running on island time.

Sounds like you made the right choice!

Frank Lloyd Wright house. eh? Do either of you have pics of this? I'd love to see it. I won't be going to the island for a couple of months yet and by then this doctor will have fencing and guards posted I'm sure.

Olive trees on the malahat! Amazing. Who'd have thunk it?

I keep reading your sig and laughing. Who is Thockmorten?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Frank Lloyd Wright house. eh? Do either of you have pics of this? I'd love to see it. I won't be going to the island for a couple of months yet and by then this doctor will have fencing and guards posted I'm sure.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

You may want to keep that little bit of knowledge about sea sponges to yourself. Someone might get the idea that they' could make some money on them. Nice to know that the system there is good. vw sponges. Awesome.

I keep reading your sig and laughing. Who is this Thockmorten?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

You may want to keep that little bit of knowledge about sea sponges to yourself. Someone might get the idea that they' could make some money on them. Nice to know that the system there is good. vw sponges. Awesome.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Yuh know ...

When I was a kid, we had gallons and gallons of Maple Syrup in the pantry.
My Dad's father owned an island (farm) called Maple Island and near Parry Sound, Ontario.
I used to drink it!

I had this horrible need for sugar as a kid.
I used to sneak downstairs during the night and eat spoonfuls of white and brown sugar.
I drank a 2lb tin of corn syrup one time.

Calm

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Yuh know ...

When I was a kid, we had gallons and gallons of Maple Syrup in the pantry.
My Dad's father owned an island (farm) called Maple Island and near Parry Sound, Ontario.
I used to drink it!

I had this horrible need for sugar as a kid.
I used to sneak downstairs during the night and eat spoonfuls of white and brown sugar.
I drank a 2lb tin of corn syrup one time.

Calm