Hello French Speaking Canadians! ;-)

Pemmican

Electoral Member
Nov 14, 2004
Westphalia
I need to do a presentation on languages in Europe and need help with a special phenomen:

Some Northern Germanic languages tend to drop the helping verb "have" in the perfect tense, e.g. Swedish:

"jag hört" for 'jag har hört' (=> I have heard).

As far as I know, this is also possible in English to a certain extend as people say
"I seen the movie" for I have seen the movie
"I just come home" for I have just come home

I was also told, that in (European) French, this is not possible, not even in colloquial language or slang - but I'm interested now in Canadian French: Is it possible to drop the helping verb 'avoir' or 'être' in the passé composé??
Can you say e.g.

"j'été" for j'ai été
j'eu" for j'ai eu
"j'allé" for je suis allé
"je fait" for j'ai fait
"je venu" for je suis venu etc.

(I know this isn't grammatically correct, but I'm not focussing on grammatical correctness, I just want to know if people talk like this - more or less commonly - even if it's only colloquial or slang!)

Thank you very much for your help!
Greetz from Germany
Ttys, Pemmican

EternalSunshine

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2004
Montreal
I'm pretty sure that people here don't drop the auxilliary verb in passé composé, not even in slang.

In slang, for example, je suis allée will sound a lot like "shu allée", but no, no dropping, lol.

English speaking people neither won't say "I seen a movie", not even in an informal conversation; more then a slang is a sign that it's an uneducated person speaking, or someone just learning the language.

Pemmican

Electoral Member
Nov 14, 2004
Westphalia
Thank you very much - are you sure with the English one as well? Maybe a Texan like Bush would use it? *jk*hehe*

Anyway - this seems to become more interesting than I thought... Thanks again ;) CU

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
EternalSunshine, I've heard many times the use of j'allé in Quebec. I moved to Toronto from Montréal in April and I've heard it used in Montréal among teens especially. Also je fait I hear used.

Pemmican

Electoral Member
Nov 14, 2004
Westphalia
Re: RE: Hello French Speaking Canadians! ;-)

Andem said:
EternalSunshine, I've heard many times the use of j'allé in Quebec. I moved to Toronto from Montréal in April and I've heard it used in Montréal among teens especially. Also je fait I hear used.

Andem,
I'll expect you being here tomorrow for backing me up while I'll have my presentation - so come along!! *lol*

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Well, I think lufthansa has a special on now? But you'll have to pick me up from Frankfurt am main if you want to get the deals :)

EternalSunshine

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2004
Montreal
I could very well be mistaken, I'm not a Quebecoise myself, but I'm pretty sure you don't drop the auxilliary verb. At times it may sound that way, because people tend to speak fast.

It is an interesting question though, and I will ask around (I have nieces who are teens and Quebecoises).

EternalSunshine

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2004
Montreal
Re: RE: Hello French Speaking Canadians! ;-)

Andem said:

This could be j'allais (imperfect) and je fais (present).

Fate

Dec 15, 2004
Montreal
Whatever rules you know in French then forget them in Quebec. They do not follow the rules and make up thier own as they go along. Trust me, nothing is as it seems in QUEBEC

HockeyBabe

Electoral Member
Oct 13, 2004
Seattle
moi?? um...when I turn 18! but I'm going on holiday there Saturday morning!!!yeah!!!!!!!!!!! :quebec: :toothy10: :toothy10: :toothy10: :canada: