Canadian Travel

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
Since Haggis and I totally hijacked the New Year's party thread, I thought maybe I'd start a new one where people can talk about places in Canada that they've visited. I'd love to travel our fair country more, and to have someone in Toronto tell me what great places I should visit is a chance I can't pass up.

I'll start...

Kakakabekka falls near Thunder Bay are beautiful. They're not super touristy, so you can still relax in the serenity of the sound of waterfalls.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
I am especially keen on our Quebec posters giving me some good ideas about travel in Quebec!

Kakakabekka Falls? That is one impressive name.

Well, there is a place I haven't visited in over 40 years but from what I gather, nothing has changed: The Flying U Ranch in the Caribou at Green Lake near the 70-Mile House.

It is the best place, with log cabins, and all your meals provided in a big ranch house, all very heritage.

The best part, though, is the horse situation. You are issued your very own horse for the duration of your stay, nobody else gets to ride it but you.

You can ride your horse anytime, anywhere, no trail rides, on hundreds of acres... you just ride around, a free spirit.

You can tie up your horse to the rail outside your cabin while you dine, and you can opt for the full thing, grooming and feeding your horse, or you can cheat and just get your horse at the beginning of the day and turn him in again at the end of the day.

It was the best holiday ever, barring our boat trips, when I was a kid, and I sure do want to do it again. If you look up Flying U Ranch in the BC Caribou, you will find it.

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Kakabeka falls...

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
That picture doesn't really do it justice, actually. Kakabeka falls is just a very cool place. if you are in Thunder Bay, there's a Best Western south of town that's nice too...clean and quiet with a pool and a bar. The people there are nice and the food's dandy. I assume it's still there anyway.

My favourite place in Toronto, and I was only at this place once, is a pool hall and bar over top of a restaurant. I don't know what it was called or exactly where it was, but it was definitely a good place to shoot pool.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Re: RE: Canadian Travel

Reverend Blair said:
That picture doesn't really do it justice, actually. Kakabeka falls is just a very cool place. if you are in Thunder Bay, there's a Best Western south of town that's nice too...clean and quiet with a pool and a bar. The people there are nice and the food's dandy. I assume it's still there anyway.

My favourite place in Toronto, and I was only at this place once, is a pool hall and bar over top of a restaurant. I don't know what it was called or exactly where it was, but it was definitely a good place to shoot pool.

There's probably 50 of what you described in Toronto ;P There's a billiards place on Yonge street near... hrmm where was it? I think it was near Swiss Chalet at Gerrard & Yonge.. I forget now though -- Either way, I don't recommend it.. But I do recommend the Swiss Chalet (mouth watering!).

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
I didn't take the photo, I just couldn't find a better one.

Hey Haggis, if you do drive through Edmonton, then you'll drive through Vegreville to get to Saskatchewan. Stop and check out the Giant Easter Egg!! It's not really that exciting. But at least you can say you stopped and saw the worlds largest easter egg!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I hate that damned egg. When I was working in photo labs it was one of those shots that you saw over and over again.

I don't have a better picture Diamond. do have some worse ones though.

There's probably 50 of what you described in Toronto

I kind of figured. That used to happen to me a lot when I was travelling on business...you'd be with a group of guys and somebody would say, "I know this place," and you'd go there without ever learning the name or paying attention to where you you. This one was within a block or two of the Hockey Hall of Fame.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
But Ricky you will see it all when you come to visit our country, and when you come out west, and come to Vancouver island, you will stay at peapod house....Hey I am getting to know this whole board :lol: my real friends are on the back burner :lol: :lol: My first visitors will be edgewater and zenfisher when they come to have their teeth done in Victoria. I am looking forward to meeting them and finding out all the nasties on the rev :p :wink:

I have been across canada several times, its a beautiful place, the only place I really want to see is Newfoundland. I have to go there and see the place and meet more of those newfoundlanders I love them.