May 24, 2004
Toronto
Cannabis leaflet has NDP smoking mad

Glenn Bohn, With A File By Ian Mulgrew
Vancouver Sun

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Federal New Democrats are all steamed up over a B.C. Marijuana party
leaflet that has an image of a big cannabis leaf behind the NDP's
official campaign photograph of NDP leader Jack Layton.

The envelope-sized leaflet and larger posters and leaflets --
coloured mostly in orange, the NDP's traditional colour -- criticize
the Liberal and Conservative policies on the legalization of
marijuana and urge Canadians to "Vote NDP!"

At the bottom of the leaflet, under an NDP logo, is a line in a
smaller type face reading: "this poster sponsored by
bcmarijuanaparty.ca" and "pot-tv.net."

NDP federal secretary Chris Watson said he asked marijuana
decriminalization advocate Marc Emery on Monday to stop distributing
those materials, but Emery refused.

"We just don't like it when anyone distributes something that is made
to look like it came from us," Watson said during an interview from
Ottawa.

Watson said the NDP images are likely registered and subject to
copyright law, and he has referred the issue to an NDP lawyer for
advice.

"The NDP are threatening to sue me," fumed Emery, leader of the
Marijuana party and political spokesman for the broad cannabis
culture constituency -- an amalgam of hot-house horticulturalists,
plant nutrient and grow-equipment suppliers, medical marijuana
boosters and the vast numbers of recreational dopers.

Emery, the self-described "Prince of Pot," said he doesn't understand
on what basis the NDP would take legal action.

"The sponsorship of the literature is pretty clear, it is cleverly
designed, the quotes are all verifiable, the picture of Jack is
handsome," Emery stated in a website posting.

During an interview, Emery said about 35,000 leaflets have been
distributed and he is planning to print another 50,000.

The NDP election platform includes a pledge that an NDP government
would be "introducing a non-punitive, rule-based approach to adult
marijuana use with a major emphasis on prevention, education and
health promotion, while seeing that provinces have the resources to
prevent and detect impaired driving more effectively."

© The Vancouver Sun 2004

Connecting The Cannabis Community

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Excuse my bitchyness, I'm on the Zyban quit smoking system AGAIN.

I wouldnt want to see anybody getting hooked on marijuana use, as a mental addiction that is. It's hard when young ones get addicted to something, so if it's ever legalised, we had better get our shit together and make it VERY HARD for minors to get the stuff.

If only cigarettes, marijuana and alcohol were kept away from me when I was a minor, I wouldnt be so addicted to cigarettes and actually love the taste of beer :p

BudBuddy

Feb 3, 2005
angelfire.com
Andem said:
I wouldnt want to see anybody getting hooked on marijuana use, as a mental addiction that is. It's hard when young ones get addicted to something, so if it's ever legalised, we had better get our shit together and make it VERY HARD for minors to get the stuff.

Considering the relative harmlessness of marijuana when compared to alcohol, tobacco, prozac, ritalin and pretty much everything else, I'd say that for a young person to choose marijuana over these other substances is a responsible decision.

Moderate use of cannabis can help young people to focus at school, and it is safer than ritalin. Some studies have shown that moderate use of marijuana actually produces an increase in IQ scores! http://www.cannabisculture.com/news/iq

Young people have a natural and normal desire to alter their own consciousness, so let's try to ensure that they do so with the safest and most useful tools possible, instead of using threats of jail and punishment to keep them in the dark.

BudBuddy

Feb 3, 2005
angelfire.com
Andem said:

Considering the relative harmlessness of marijuana when compared to alcohol, tobacco, prozac, ritalin and pretty much everything else, I'd say that for a young person to choose marijuana over these other substances is a responsible decision.

Moderate use of cannabis can help young people to focus at school, and it is safer than ritalin. Some studies have shown that moderate use of marijuana actually produces an increase in IQ scores! http://www.cannabisculture.com/news/iq

Young people have a natural and normal desire to alter their own consciousness, so let's try to ensure that they do so with the safest and most useful tools possible, instead of using threats of jail and punishment to keep them in the dark.

BudBuddy

Feb 3, 2005
angelfire.com
Andem said:

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
There has not been one study that proves marijuana is addictive. It is not. The only ones who say it is are those anti-drug types who want to scare people and they are the same ones that preach abstinence (and what a failure that is, not to mention the lies it tells kids about sex)

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I believe people who get hooked on pot have addictive personalities. If it's not pot, it would be alcohol or something else. When people are stoned, they dont get into bar fights. Alcohol is more addictive then pot. Drunks ruin there lives alot faster then potheads.