I'm now flying the 1957 Canadian Red Ensign.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I started flying a 1957 Canadian Red Ensign this weekend.

I'd been thinking lately about how some states have a state flag and then a different country flag. Germany for example has a presidential banner, a state flag, and a separate country flag. The state flag simply adds the German coat of arms in the middle of the country flag. By law, only federal government buildings can fly the state flag and anyone else can face a fine for flying it; though that seems a little extreme in my opinion.

Regardless though, I still see a benefit to promoting an unofficial country flag and relegating the state flag to official purposes only. Firstly, it promotes public respect for the government. Secondly, it reminds the government to circumscribe the breadth of the official realm to public matters only. This is especially important today as the state contemplates legislating pronoun use in government institutions for example.

Though Canada recognizes an official Royal Banner and an official state flag, it has no separate country flag and so the state flag has come to fill the void on people's lawns and at Canada-Day celebrations for example. Symbolically, one could understand this as overreach of the official realm into the unofficial.

Prior to 1965, the Union Jack served as Canada's official flag. Unfortunately, it did a poor job of distinguishing between Canada and the UK whenever that distinction was needed. To fix that problem and in the absence of an alternative official state flag, the Government of Canada made official use of the Canadian Red Ensign from the start of Confederation onward but without ever conferring an official status on the flag itself.

Ironically, even though the Union Jack remained the official state flag, Canada seldom used it since Confederation, preferring instead to fly the unofficial Canadian Red Ensign on the Peace Tower and on Federal Government buildings with the Union Jack (the official flag) having flown only briefly on the Peace Tower after the Boer Wars as a result of public pressure). In spite of extensive official use including in the two world wars, the Government had conferred an official status only on the use of the Canadian Red Ensign, but the flag itself always remained an unofficial and so merely de facto flag of Canada.

This combination of the Canadian Red Ensign enjoying a long history in Canada, but without ever having enjoyed an official status (even if its use had), seems to make it an ideal unofficial country flag of Canada for those who see a value in promoting an unofficial country flag that distinguishes itself from the official state flag.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Personally i don't think the current flag is that good. I would have designed it differently.. with a navy blue border (from Canada's motto, Mari usque ad Mare, From Sea to Sea), the traditional three maple leaves (geen, red, gold) on a light blue cross (a nod to the founding faith and culture). But that would be so.. UN-multicultural and diverse.

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It's not an easy flag to find, these days.

My special, old fashioned flag is this one:

http://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Great_Britain_(1707–1800).svg

I have a couple of them.

HeyBill

Nov 26, 2016
Crescent Park Lodge
Sounds like a flag sales person. The more flags the merrier although we Canadians already have at least 14. 1 Canada 10 Provinces & 3 territories. Enough for me.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Personally i don't think the current flag is that good. I would have designed it differently.. with a navy blue border (from Canada's motto, Mari usque ad Mare, From Sea to Sea), the traditional three maple leaves (geen, red, gold) on a light blue cross (a nod to the founding faith and culture). But that would be so.. UN-multicultural and diverse.

Why couldn't you just fly the Vatican flag or even the Quebec flag?

Or you might like the Teutonic one. Now they were badass, comparable to the Canadian Indian residential school staff.

That said, the Canadian Red Ensign has at least three crosses on it. The Union Jack itself comprises three crosses.

If you need more Cristianity than that, the shield includes three French fleurs de lys and an Irish harp, both if which hark back to the Christian Faith. And France and Ireland were mostly Catholic too.

Keep a white one handy, too.

Why?

Last edited:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
He doesn't want to be alone.

Putin will be coming soon...
:)
you should see the flowers he plans to throw when the parade comes through.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
First Nations leaders were strongly attached to the old flag. James Gladstone, a Blood (Kainai) appointed to the Senate in 1958 said: “Personally I do not want to see any other flag flying but the Red Ensign.” Many chiefs had received a Union Jack as a ceremonial seal on treaties: “Under these symbols of justice, we feel safe. Take them away from us and it will be another sign that we are not safe.”'

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/be...e-leaf-flag-embodies-canadas-national-amnesia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Proclamation_of_1763

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/the-special-relationship-of-native-peoples-and-the-crown-1.1189032

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jo...ng-and-fruitful-association-with-the-monarchy

For all the harm colonization imposed on Canada's indigenous peoples, they would have suffered it ten fold had Canada been a republic. The monarch, for all of the limitations the Constitution has placed on his or her authority over the generations, has always tried to protect the indigenous peoples to the degree he or she could. That's why as strange as it may seem, Canada's indigenous peoples are among the most monarchist in the country. The monarch helped to curb at least the worst of the tyranny that Parliament inflicted on the indigenous peoples and indigenous Canadians are grateful for that.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

I have a couple of them.

What an idiot... so obsessed with flags.

Waaaaaay too easy...

*snicker*

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
What an idiot... so obsessed with flags.
Waaaaaay too easy...
*snicker*
Those are special ones. They go back to the time of the treason that the American Revolution was. They celebrate loyalty to an oath ... a foreign concept to most Yanks.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Those are special ones. They go back to the time of the treason that the American Revolution was. They celebrate loyalty to an oath ... a foreign concept to most Yanks.

Still smarting over your ancestors having to flee for treason eh? NICE!

It explains your obsession over flags.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Still smarting over your ancestors having to flee for treason eh? NICE!
It explains your obsession over flags.

I demand an apology. I think I'm more flag-obsessed than he is and given how I've often flown the flag of Canada alongside other flags, I've probably come closer to treason than either of you. So I'm waiting for my apology.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I demand an apology. I think I'm more flag-obsessed than he is and given how I've often flown the flag of Canada alongside other flags, I've probably come closer to treason than either of you. So I'm waiting for my apology.

You Cannucks are all crazy about you flags.

*snicker*

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
You are a SPAWN of Traitors!
Where did your ancestors have to haul azz out of in the middle of the night? New York? Boston?
*snicker*
They left New York and Pennsylvania.

I have an ancestor who fought in the Revolution on the republican side and then, as an old man, defended Upper Canada as a faithful defender of the Crown. The American Revolution was a sham.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I have a couple of them.

A friend of mine who is an ex-British Army Major has one, CC. It is a beautiful flag. Simple and straight forward - no accoutrements needed - much like our flag whose simplicity I have always found attractive.