100th Anniversary of Women’s Right to Vote in Canada

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
On January 28, 1916, Manitoba became the first province in Canada to extend the franchise to women voters.
It all started in Manitoba

Two years before, on January 27, 1914, a large group of women and men, many members of the Political Equality League of Manitoba, appeared before the Manitoba Legislative Assembly to make the case for women’s suffrage. They were led by well-known writer and suffragist Nellie McClung, who would later be known for her role in the groundbreaking Persons Case. McClung asked the members of the legislature: “Have we not the brains to think? Hands to work? Hearts to feel? And lives to live?” She went on, “Do we not bear our part in citizenship? Do we not help build the Empire? Give us our due!”

In December 1915, the group delivered a petition containing almost 40,000 signatures in support of women’s right to vote. Premier T.C. Norris delivered the petition to the first session of the 15th Legislature, followed soon after by a Bill to Amend the Manitoba Elections Act. On January 28, 1916, the Lieutenant Governor passed into law the right of Manitoba women to vote – and to put themselves forward as candidates – in provincial elections.

Saskatchewan and Alberta Followed

On March 14, Saskatchewan passed into law An Act to Amend the Saskatchewan Election Act, and on April 19, Alberta passed the Equal Suffrage Statutory Law Amendment Act S.A. 1916 c.5, both jurisdictions thereby granting women the right to vote and stand for election. On May 24, 1918, following passage of An Act to confer the Electoral Franchise upon Women S.C. 1918, c. 20, women in Canada were granted the federal franchise. It would be another 10 years before the Famous Five won the Persons Case Victory, and it was not until 1940 that Quebec women won the right to vote in provincial elections. In 1960 First Nations were allowed to vote without giving up treaty rights.

Read more.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
100th anniversary and they still have to fight for equal pay, for equal work and be allowed to get upset when their ****** is referred to as a pus#y.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
To watch humans be treated so differently because of the genitalia is so incredibly odd. That an other wise intelligent human being with dangling genitalia can think that women are anything but equal is quite obsurd. And they have the nerve to say women aren't as intelligent. Clearly, women represent some kind of threat to something in the male mind.

Seems like a mental disorder...possibly brain damage. Not all ideas deserve respect and non should impart authority over another when not factually come to. sheesh!

100th anniversary and they still have to fight for equal pay, for equal work and be allowed to get upset when their ****** is referred to as a pus#y.

Still better then in some places on this planet.

and possibly maybe even the best at the moment. Not that I'm singing it praises really.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
To watch humans be treated so differently because of the genitalia is so incredibly odd. That an other wise intelligent human being with dangling genitalia can think that women are anything but equal is quite obsurd. And they have the nerve to say women aren't as intelligent. Clearly, women represent some kind of threat to something in the male mind.

Seems like a mental disorder...possibly brain damage. Not all ideas deserve respect and non should impart authority over another when not factually come to. sheesh!

Still better then in some places on this planet.

and possibly maybe even the best at the moment. Not that I'm singing it praises really.

True ... all true but I still find that women look beautiful to me. I can't help myself. I was wired that way.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
After the women's right to vote in 1916 Sir Robert Borden got elected PM...

I think his famous campaign promise of "I shall never drink out of the milk carton" resonated with the newly allowed voters and put him over the top.

(Ba-Zing!) :)

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
After the women's right to vote in 1916 Sir Robert Borden got elected PM...

I think his famous campaign promise of "I shall never drink out of the milk carton" resonated with the newly allowed voters and put him over the top.

(Ba-Zing!) :)

They were in the middle of an horrific war that we were losing, at the time. The Somme disaster was on and the French and Imperial troops were losing far more than winning. Borden was very exposed and vulnerable. He did the right thing, though.