Canada flag bath towels are offensive, says Edmonton man

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Canada flag bath towels are offensive, says Edmonton man
'I can not rub my body with this flag. It hurts me.'
By Kevin Maimann, Edmonton Sun
First posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 04:12 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 04:57 PM EDT
Sanjeev Chawla flies his flag high, but he won't use it to get dry.
The patriotic immigrant and his wife Sangeeta are on a crusade to get Canada flag bath towels off the shelves at local stores.
Sanjeev said he was "rather horrified" to find towels bearing the flag at an Edmonton drug store.
"If it is a towel showing an exact replica of a Canadian flag, and if someone is using this as a towel, rubbing your body and your feet, it's offensive. It's offensive against our identity," he said.
"If you're using it and throwing it in the sand on the beach or somewhere, don't you feel that it's insulting? The image of our flag should be treated with respect."
Sanjeev and Sangeeta unveiled a massive 20-foot-by-40-foot Canadian flag at Oliver school on Canada Day that they ordered custom-made from Ontario.
Sanjeev said the Canadian flag is a source of pride and inspiration for the couple, who moved to Toronto from India 10 years ago with their four-year-old son and relocated to Edmonton in 2008.
Sanjeev has written to the drug store and to the federal government's Canadian Heritage department, which is now investigating the matter. The towels are also available at a number of other locations, including some hardware stores.
"(Canada) is a beautiful country and beautiful people, and the foundation of our country is built on hard work," he said.
"I cannot use this towel. I can not rub my body with this flag. It hurts me."
In 2007, Unilever Arabia withdrew a line of bath towels bearing the Indian flag following complaints from the Indian consulate in Dubai.
kevin.maimann@sunmedia.ca
@SunKevinM
Canada flag bath towels are offensive, says Edmonton man | Canada | News | Toron

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It's no big deal the flag is great instead of impaling it on pole
we use it to dry off or lie on at the beach. We don't have to
lay our hand over our heart and revere it this is Canada
after all

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
OH CANADA!!! :canada:

It could always be worse... :-(

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I choose to NOT be offended by this. I feel there are far bigger things going on in this world that are more worthy of being offended over.

This gentleman is very lucky that his only concern in life, at this moment, is the image on a towel.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Why do this guy's problems need to be everyone's problem? If he doesn't like the idea of using a towel modeled after the flag, then I suggest he not use one. His problem is solved. Seems rather obvious to me that if a great number of people truly didn't like this, then they wouldn't sell. If they are selling, then that tells you just how offensive people really think it is.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Bloody immigrant being patriotic. What next?

You know what? Good for him but who cares? I'm not running out to the store to buy Canada Flag bath towels but I am getting rather fed up with so many people assuming that every little thing that offends them should be the qualifying factor for what gets banned, boycotted, etc.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You know what? Good for him but who cares? I'm not running out to the store to buy Canada Flag bath towels but I am getting rather fed up with so many people assuming that every little thing that offends them should be the qualifying factor for what gets banned, boycotted, etc.

I want Shroud of Turin bathtowels.