Canada's National Anthem

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Our national anthem is pretty entrenched, however it is odd to think that O Canada has only been our official anthem since 1980. Prior to that it was God Save The Queen, although a version of O Canada has been around and used for quite sometime.

I distinctly remember singing God Save the Queen quite a lot in early elementary school. The English connection was fairly significant in our city. I grew up in the Royal City and lived beside Queens Park where the Queen attended one of our MayDays (1971). I went to high school in 1973 and frankly don't remember what anthem was used there.

What anthem(s| was sung in your school prior to 1980 (or perhaps pre 1970)?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Wait - 1980 ??

I heard it sung in the 1960s when the NHL was on NYC tv. Thought it was National Anthem back then, at least (???).
It was unofficial going back to the 30's or 40's but not official until 1980. I know, a little weird.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
From wikipedia:

The original French lyrics of "O Canada" were written by Sir Adolphe-Basile Routhier, to music composed by Calixa Lavallée, as a French Canadian patriotic song for the Saint-Jean-Baptiste Society and first performed on June 24, 1880, at a Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day banquet in Quebec City. At that time, the "Chant National", also by Routhier, was popular amongst Francophones as an anthem,[19] while "God Save the Queen" and "The Maple Leaf Forever" had, since 1867, been competing as unofficial national anthems in English Canada. "O Canada" joined that fray when a group of school children sang it for the 1901 tour of Canada by the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall (later King George V and Queen Mary).[1]

Five years later, the Whaley and Royce company in Toronto, Ontario, published the music with the French text and a first translation into English by Thomas Bedford Richardson and, in 1908, Collier's Weekly magazine held a competition to write new English lyrics for "O Canada". The competition was won by Mercy E. Powell McCulloch, but her version never gained wide acceptance.[19] In fact, many made English translations of Routhier's words; however, the most popular version was created in 1908 by Robert Stanley Weir, a lawyer and Recorder of the City of Montreal. A slightly modified version was officially published for the Diamond Jubilee of Confederation in 1927, and gradually it became the most widely accepted and performed version of this song.[1]

The house in Quebec City in which Routhier reportedly wrote the original French lyrics
The tune was thought to have become the de facto national anthem after King George VI remained at attention during its playing at the dedication of the National War Memorial in Ottawa, Ontario, on May 21, 1939;[20] though George was actually following a precedent set by his brother, Edward, the previous king of Canada, when he dedicated the Canadian National Vimy Memorial in France in 1936.[21] Still, by-laws and practices governing the use of song during public events in municipalities varied; in Toronto, "God Save the Queen" was employed, while in Montreal it was "O Canada".

Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson in 1964 said one song would have to be chosen as the country's national anthem and the government resolved to form a joint committee to review the status of the two musical works. The next year, Pearson put to the House of Commons a motion that "the government be authorized to take such steps as may be necessary to provide that 'O Canada' shall be the National Anthem of Canada while 'God Save the Queen' shall be the Royal Anthem of Canada," of which parliament approved. In 1967, the Prime Minister advised Governor General Georges Vanier to appoint the Special Joint Committee of the Senate and House of Commons on the National and Royal Anthems; the group first met in February[22] and, within two months, on April 12, 1967, presented its conclusion that "O Canada" should be designated as the national anthem and "God Save the Queen" as the Royal Anthem of Canada,[1] one verse from each, in both official languages, to be adopted by parliament. The group was then charged with establishing official lyrics for each song. For "O Canada", the Robert Stanley Weir version of 1908 was recommended, with a few minor changes, for the English words;[23] two of the "stand on guard" phrases were replaced with "from far and wide" and "God keep our land."[1]

Still, it was not until 1970 that the Queen in Right of Canada purchased the right to the lyrics and music of "O Canada" and 1980 before the song finally became the official national anthem via the National Anthem Act.[21][22] The act established a religious reference to the English lyrics and the phrase "From far and wide, O Canada" to replace one of the repetitions of the phrase "We stand on guard." This change was controversial with traditionalists and, for several years afterwards, it was not uncommon to hear people still singing the old lyrics at public events. In contrast, the French version has never been changed from its original.[24]

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Okay, so you Googled it, then Wiki'ed it.. try YouTube and post the tune you would looking for would ya.

Share it with everyone here..
We simply sang God Save The Queen at any school event in the 60's and early 70's. New Westminster, the Royal City, had a very Royal history.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Wait - 1980 ??

I heard it sung in the 1960s when the NHL was on NYC tv. Thought it was National Anthem back then, at least (???).

That's what I seem to remember, so now I'm guessing the song was in existence it just didn't have official status. I am also sure I remember singing "God Save the King". (Talloola might have a more vivid memory of that) -:)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Shouldn't we be playing Israel's nation songs. It isn't like we have called our own shots since about 1812.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Well in the end Kreskin, I think the final rendition sounds pretty dam nice..

O Canada - YouTube

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Here's a secret from Gopherland = lots of folks here really like Oh Canada! But nobody here knows the words - I've seen them trying to sing the words in hockey or baseball games but they use crypt sheets for the lyrics!

Cheaters!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Here's a secret from Gopherland = lots of folks here really like Oh Canada! But nobody here knows the words - I've seen them trying to sing the words in hockey or baseball games but they use crypt sheets for the lyrics!

Cheaters!

Geez, I didn't think the words are all that difficult! -:)

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
What anthem(s| was sung in your school prior to 1980 (or perhaps pre 1970)?

I wasn't born yet so it was always O Canada for me. If they had changed while I was in school or now it wouldn't make much difference to me. To me its just a song.