Surely someone must know where Canadian money is printed?

turb0

Apr 28, 2013
I have been googling like crazy and I can't get a "authoritative" answer to this.

I know that the Bank of Canada is not really a Canadian bank, but it is a "corporate body" (corporation?)
Speaking of the above is there an actual "Canadian Bank" that has the power to print money?
The Mint makes coins.
Some outfit in Germany use to print our Canadian paper notes.
And I've determined that "maybe" an Australian company prints the plastic notes (or at least they invented it/them).

Anyone know this?

Thanks!

turb0

Apr 28, 2013
seems like...Ottawa

Printing Bills Will Stop At The End of 2012 for Canada

don't know if that is what you are looking for or not...at least you can start there
Hi, thanks for the reply. From what I've gathered the BoC distributes notes, but they don't make them. I seem to recall the 2012 thing was in reference to not making "paper" money, and the shift to "plastic/polymer" notes. So someone is making them, but who?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Hi, thanks for the reply. From what I've gathered the BoC distributes notes, but they don't make them. I seem to recall the 2012 thing was in reference to not making "paper" money, and the shift to "plastic/polymer" notes. So someone is making them, but who?
wow, you'd think we would all know...lol...oh well, thanks to your question, soon we will. :)

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
As him if you dare...................

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011

It's contracted out to different private printing & minting company's.
Lowest bid wins.

Look up private mints.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I agree, Giesecke and Devrient did print the paper money, but now with the switch to polymer, I don't know if they are doing it or not.

And good grade counterfeits are out now. Was looking at some the other day.Both sides of the bill are attached to a plastic insert- hard to tell.
Missing the braille bumps is one indicator.

turb0

Apr 28, 2013
It's contracted out to different private printing & minting company's.
Lowest bid wins.

Look up private mints.
It would appear that a "private mint" is not relevant (Plus a "mint" only makes coinage.)

"Perhaps the biggest single difference between the two is that a government mint has the ability to produce legal tender, while a private mint does not. However, a private mint has a great deal of flexibility in what they produce. While a government mint may be restricted to produce only certain series of coins, a private mint has the freedom to offer its clients unique custom designed coins and medallions of different sizes, weights, compositions, and quantities."

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I read somewhere, can't remember exactly where, that the old company that printed the paper bill, had not the capacity to make the polymers.

So I think it's a whole diffrent company making them.
The article talked of layoffs at the paper money company.

turb0

Apr 28, 2013
I read somewhere, can't remember exactly where, that the old company that printed the paper bill, had not the capacity to make the polymers.

So I think it's a whole diffrent company making them.
The article talked of layoffs at the paper money company.
Yeah, the D & G out of Germany didn't have the tooling for the polymer "blanks" if you will. These I've been able to figure out got invented in Australia, but I still can't find out who "prints" them! haha

Hahaha! I watched this and it was funny as hell to see that no one knew! I liked the narrators comment about "Ok if you're going to run our money you to know where it comes from!" or something close to that, good movie BTW!!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The following is taken from the Bank of Canada web site:

It takes several years to design a series of bank notes. Once the designs have been approved, the Bank contracts the printing of the notes to two security printing companies,
Canadian Bank Note Company, Limited and BA International Inc. The bank notes are printed 45 to a sheet, cut, and delivered to the Bank

The two big banknote printers in Germany (both of which print Euros but not Canadian dollars) are Bundesdruckerei and Geiseck & Devrient

source(s):

http://bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/fact…

Are we all okay now?

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The following is taken from the Bank of Canada web site:

It takes several years to design a series of bank notes. Once the designs have been approved, the Bank contracts the printing of the notes to two security printing companies,
Canadian Bank Note Company, Limited and BA International Inc. The bank notes are printed 45 to a sheet, cut, and delivered to the Bank

The two big banknote printers in Germany (both of which print Euros but not Canadian dollars) are Bundesdruckerei and Geiseck & Devrient

source(s):

http://bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/fact…

Are we all okay now?

Well I can go on with my life now. Thanks Petros!