Royal Practice of Maundy Money

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Her Majesty the Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland recently announced the appointment of The Right Reverend Dr. John Inge, the Bishop of Worcester, as the Lord High Almoner to Her Majesty. The Lord High Almoner is the head of the Royal Almonry, which is an office that has traditionally overseen the distribution of alms to the poor.

As the Lord High Almoner, Dr. Inge will be responsible for supporting the administration of and being in attendance at the Maundy service, which takes place to commemorate the Last Supper of Jesus Christ with the Apostles. At this dinner, where it is recorded that Christ mandated that people love one another (the word "Maundy" is derived from the mandatum). In this spirit, it is a tradition that the Sovereign distribute Maundy money to elderly citizens to recognise service to the community.

This year, Her Majesty will distribute two purses of Maundy money to each of eighty-seven men and eighty-seven women (the number of recipients changes each year with the age of the Queen). One purse contains 87 pence, struck on coins that bear the original likeness of Her Majesty as of 1952 coinage, while the other contains a commemorative £5 coin and a 50-pence coin. The tradition of Maundy service also used to include the distribution of food and clothing.

This event is, in my view, a tremendous example of why constitutional monarchy should be maintained. The United Kingdom receives more in revenue from Her Majesty the Queen than it pays in expenses for the administration of constitutional monarchy, and still, Her Majesty pays taxes when she is not strictly required to do so, and gives back even further to the community through events such as this, reinforcing the special bond between the people and their Sovereign.

I think that this is a splendid tradition, notwithstanding its ties to the Church of England. I think it would be very cool if we, in Canada, could seek out a way to duplicate the ceremony and the event as a symbol of appreciation for Canadian seniors, community service, and volunteerism.

(Sources: Press Release for Appointment / More Information)