The Truth at CP Rail

Anonamusnow

Nov 29, 2012
The Truth at CP Rail at the hands of E.Hunter Harris

I don’t claim to be a journalist, I am just one of the many thousands of Canadians whose life came crashing down since E. Hunter Harris took over as president and CEO of CP Rail. CP Rail and its departments were once considered a favoured workplace in Canada, and also one of the longest hiring processes, once an employee though you had the option to be there for life.
When I started at CP Rail I was shown a very casual, yet strict environment to work in the Railcar Mechanics Department. I was shocked to find how much safety was a priority at CP Rail, and how many courses and teachings they offered to their employees. I found myself in training for a week every 6 weeks if not sooner as their dedication to properly train new employees. All of the inside jobs and offices at CP Rail had the options to have music playing which has been proven to increase production in the workplace, and all the necessary Personal Protective Equipment was made ready and available for all employees during all shifts. Every one welcomed us, the new employees, knew our names within the first couple weeks, and made an effort to ask how it was going, to show us the ropes when given the chance, in other words we were treated like part of the family. CP Rail in my opinion was the best company i had the opportunity to work for when i started and for the months following until E.Hunter Harris took over and started to change the very fabric of what made CP Rail the company it is.

In less than 6 months, under the directive of Hunter and his bully squad tactics, countless Canadian jobs have been lost, removed or changed in all departments all across Canada, equipment is being sold off or removed from service. Devices such as stereos are being removed from the work environment, fear and bullying is replacing the caring and respect that used to be given. People who have worked there for decades are being put out of service and sent home for very trivial things.
The managers and supervisors are being pushed into being ruthless tyrants and those who refuse are fired or demoted, less likely the latter. This is just a few of the things that Hunter has changed in such a short time.
I received in the mail a pamphlet entitled CPs’ Code of Business Ethics
Here are some excerpts from the pamphlet :
This code of Business Ethics applies to ALL Employees, officers and directors.
When considering their own conduct, employees should also be guided by some basic questions :
How would my actions appear if published on the front page of a newspaper ?
Would disclosure of my involvement in this situation be embarrassing to myself, my family or CP ?
Conflicts of Interest :
Personal Interests : Employees must avoid all actual or perceived conflicts of interest between their personal interests and their duties to CP.
Gifts and Entertainment : Employees shall not provide, directly or indirectly, on behalf of CP, expensive gifts or excessive entertainment or other benefits to other persons.
Personal Gain : Employees shall not use their employment status to obtain personal gain from those doing or seeking to do business with CP.
Disclosure, Insider Trading and Confidentiality :
Employees shall not use for their own financial gain or disclose for the use of others inside information obtained as a result of their employment with CP.

Respectful Workplace :
Employees must ensure a work environment free of discrimination, harassment and violence, in which individuals are accorded equity in employment processes, procedures and practices based on merit and ability.
Use of Assets :
Employees must protect Cp’s assets and ensure their proper and efficient use.
And lastly :
Prohibition against Retaliation :
No retaliatory action shall be taken against an employee in respect of “whistleblowing”.
As an employee of CP Rail, I would consider Hunter’s methods an improper use of Assets, those being the employees who have served for many years and are being laid off or fired, the selling off of equipment and hiding of railcars in need of repair in an attempt to justify lay-offs, for no reason other than to boost share value. He promotes harassment in the workplace with his new regime by using fear tactics against employees and management alike.
I would perceive their being conflicts of interest regarding his methods as :
Any of his family members, proven friends, himself, any board members or their families and any others who have purchased any shares in CP Rail since his appointment to CEO should be scrutinized and checked out.
I’m sure just those reasons alone given to the public eye to view, would be enough to bring this man down as well as his gang of thugs.
CP Rail shareholders should be ashamed of the way they’ve allowed this man and his helpers to brutalize this proud Canadian company, all in the name of profit and greed. I urge everyone who reads this to forward or share it with everyone you know in hopes of keeping one of Canada’s proudest companies alive and well and remove all those who would choose to harm this source of Canadian pride and tradition.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Sounds like a bunch of Union boys have had their cushy lifetime "jobs" brought down by a reality in which they are actually expected to work for a living. There is NO reason why any railroad worker should have a "stereo" on the job. If you are not doing the job, you SHOULD be released. Old and outdated equipment SHOULD be retired out, it costs far more to maintain it (and takes more workers to do so), than having new equipment does.

Canadian Pacific has to compete with other forms of transportation. Featherbedding has been tolerated WAY too long, it's baout time the got someone in that will actually expect workers to work for a living, and will get teir expenses down to a reasonable level.

By the way, two generations of my direct family retired from the CPR, so I do know what I am talking about. My paternal grandfather worked his way up to become Craft Foreman of the Winnipeg Yards.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Never mind what goes round comes round and the day is coming in a tightening economy that
we'll see union strength on the rise again and people should remember these current business
folks when the shoe is on the other foot. If we end in recession or worse the untion concept
will rebound quickly always has and will again.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I was offered positions at both CN and CP just in the last year and I turned both positions down after I got a look at the work environment and limitations I would face coming into the company in my late forties. I thought driving a truck was limiting.

L Guenther

Nov 29, 2012
Sounds like a bunch of Union boys have had their cushy lifetime "jobs" brought down by a reality in which they are actually expected to work for a living. There is NO reason why any railroad worker should have a "stereo" on the job. If you are not doing the job, you SHOULD be released. Old and outdated equipment SHOULD be retired out, it costs far more to maintain it (and takes more workers to do so), than having new equipment does.

Canadian Pacific has to compete with other forms of transportation. Featherbedding has been tolerated WAY too long, it's baout time the got someone in that will actually expect workers to work for a living, and will get teir expenses down to a reasonable level.

By the way, two generations of my direct family retired from the CPR, so I do know what I am talking about. My paternal grandfather worked his way up to become Craft Foreman of the Winnipeg Yards.

Sounds to me like you are a shareholder with that comment, I fully support whoever posted this as I was one of the people laid off and will say that what this poster says is true. Although I do agree there were some people there in my 6 month service at CP Rail who abused the fact that they were unionized, most did not and were dedicated and hard workers. Not all the workers at CP are unionized and both are losing their jobs to a tyrant. As I was told when i started there and as was told to anyone who applied recently that the current workforce at CP Rail would be 90% retired within 5 years anyway and that they needed to replace those workers with fresher faces, yet they've even released I believe 10 of these new faces at the location i worked at that were hired just this year. Also FYI CN's new policy as to what i've heard has been called the "Dehunterizing" project. That should say something about his leadership. I for one don't believe I'll be going back to work there even though there are so many great people that do work there.