So that we truly understand what we're not supposed to forget

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Lest they forget, Mike McKay, a teacher at Eaglesham’s little K-to-12 school, invites junior high and high school students to take part in a ritual unlike any in Canada. First, they march nearly two kilometres carrying military kit bags, then they dig until their muscles are sore, then they hunker down in the trenches late at night and wait for sleep that never comes.

“Somewhere around three in the morning, the temperature plummets and so does morale,” says McKay, a former reservist whose grandfather fought in Italy and Holland during the Second World War. “I try to teach the kids that war isn’t glorious like video games and movies make it out to be, and I try to erase the idea that Remembrance Day is just a day off of school.

Students spend a night in the trenches northwest of Edmonton

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
You don't want to be assigned to the Edmonton front.

Cool idea. I wonder how long it will take to be quashed due to violation of somebody's rights or comforts?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You don't want to be assigned to the Edmonton front.

Cool idea. I wonder how long it will take to be quashed due to violation of somebody's rights or comforts?

Why would you not want to be assigned to Edmonton?

And it's completely voluntary, so it can't be a violation of their rights. Even if someone did try to stop it, it's Eaglesham, good luck telling them what to do. lol. They're farmers, they're old school. Their kids will do what they please, and they have the room to do it so you'll never find them. lol.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
A far better lesson than any child in some school assembly will be learning I'll bet.

Good for him/them for doing it.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
we fight for our own interests, not in defense of anything else and certainly nothing heroic about it.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Why would you not want to be assigned to Edmonton?

And it's completely voluntary, so it can't be a violation of their rights. Even if someone did try to stop it, it's Eaglesham, good luck telling them what to do. lol. They're farmers, they're old school. Their kids will do what they please, and they have the room to do it so you'll never find them. lol.

Farmers, eh? That explains it! The kids aren't really digging trenches, they're digging irrigation ditches!;):p:lol:

I jest, of course. This actually sounds like it would be a vauable lesson to teach them. Kudos to him!:)