The Americanisation of Canada.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Gopherland is getting Canadianized (if such a word exists) ~ poutine has been introduced as a food item in the State Fair which is happening this week and next.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
There was a time when you couldn't buy beer at a Canadian Football game. I was so jealous watching all the NFL games with fans guzzling beer in the stands and outside the stadiums. Was happy to see us get Americanized.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle

Yup, i really need to watch an arrogant know it all kid mouthing off via cut and paste in his vocal chords.:roll:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Cultures have influenced one another since the dawn of man. The only way we could avoid Canadian culture being influenced by foreign cultures would be to build fortress Canada, kind of like fortress North Korea.

Now if the issue is the excessive hegemony of US culture, there are solutions to that so as to ensure cultural exchanges are more reciprocal, but Fortress Canada is not what I would want.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Gopherland is getting Canadianized (if such a word exists) ~ poutine has been introduced as a food item in the State Fair which is happening this week and next.

A few years ago I was chatting online with an American down in New Orleans about cuisine, he thought it was "cute" that I had to clarify what Gumbo was, lol. As a retort (because as everyone knows, I'm all about the retort) I asked him if he knew what Poutine was. My point was made, Lol.

Anyway, my point here is that when I described what the dish was he said he'd heard of that dish in some communities in the mid west. I have no idea if that's true or not, but since I've never gotten the whole "American vs Canadian" thing (except for Olympic hockey) I just thought I'd throw it into the mix. ;)

Oh, and please don't tell Quebec. :)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

And people from Minnesota sound just like Canadians too.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
I do not fear the "americanisation" of Canada,some american things are good,just like some canadian things or french or british or japanese,since we live in a "global village" as the world is now called,isolationism is not a good idea.

Each country has good things,food entertainment etc,just like they have bad things [won't waste space mentioning them]

later today i will watch a japanese movie "Space Battleship Yamato"

Yeah i like sci-fi,got anything to say?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I do not fear the "americanisation" of Canada,some american things are good,just like some canadian things or french or british or japanese,since we live in a "global village" as the world is now called,isolationism is not a good idea.

Each country has good things,food entertainment etc,just like they have bad things [won't waste space mentioning them]

later today i will watch a japanese movie "Space Battleship Yamato"

Yeah i like sci-fi,got anything to say?

My diet has been somewhat East-Indianized; and I loves it. I'm a traitor to the French-Canadian culinary cause: I don't even like poutine. And many Albertans would hate my vegan diet!

:)

My mother-tongues are Europeanized, as is my taste in music. My religion is of Middle-Eastern origin, as are most religions.

Terrible, isn't it. :)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Dang, I sometimes eat with chopsticks too. I'm just not Canadian enough I guess. We really need to stop this Americanization to protect this pristine Canadian culture unblemished by other world cultures. :)

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Some of you forget that Canadian culture and American culture come out of the same origins.

Don't forget that many Canadian families stem from Americans.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Some of you forget that Canadian culture and American culture come out of the same origins.

Don't forget that many Canadian families stem from Americans.

Not only that, but we gave you guys Cajuns.

Due to the year, I'm re-reading Pierre Burton's books on the War of 1812, it's got some great insights into the people who crossed the border at will. One thing it REALLY emphasized to me was the whole Bishop Strachan thing, which led directly to the 'family compact' thing, which had a huge impact on Canada - the idea that certain families run everything, and a good Canadian citizen does what he is told by the upper crust of society.

Interesting to think about how Canadian society would have been different if he in particular hadn't been around.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
As long as we dont get 'Americanized' politically I'm fine with the other stuff. I remember watching some news stories from the 60s on CBC Archives and people were talking about this. A big part of confederation was to prevent 'Americanization.' I imagine this fear is something that will always be there for some.