E-filing is great

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Got my tax return in less than 2 weeks. Been using e-file for about 10 years and would never go bacck to snail mail filing if I can avoid it.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Now if they would only give me a list of bills that I can vote on for myself as the elected one is going a way I don't like so I want to 'cancel his one vote' with my 'one vote'. Why all the energy and money for a system that is very secure yet each tax-payer uses just once a year, and then all at the same time. It's a nice start but taken to the extreme it could eliminate the need for capital cities, the elected ones could video conference from their backyard deck and voters could be much more active in politics as it adds a few coins to your pension every time you vote.

What software do you use, StudioTax works just fine for my needs.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
What software do you use, StudioTax works just fine for my needs.
I use Tax Chopper. As Kreskin posted, before his post disappeared, it used to be called Cute Tax.

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I've been using it for about 8 years. My returns are mixed regular and self employment and have a lot going on. I've never been audited. Probably due for one. I use Tax Chopper too (use to be Cute Tax).

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Got my tax return in less than 2 weeks. Been using e-file for about 10 years and would never go bacck to snail mail filing if I can avoid it.

I've been using "UFile" for 3 years, the first year was a bit of a bugger, but since then no problems! :smile:

I just pay my accountant to do it for me.

That works fine for people with lots of money! :lol:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I've been using "UFile" for 3 years, the first year was a bit of a bugger, but since then no problems! :smile:

That's the one that I use at home as well for myself and family. They are all pretty much the same with one notable exception, not all programs are able to be used to Netfile. CRA keeps a list available on it's website and it should be mentioned on the box or on the website if anyone is buying software. Just thought I'd mention that.

That works fine for people with lots of money! :lol:
A lot of people go to H&R Block too, their rates are fairly reasonable. It all depends on how complex your return is.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A lot of people go to H&R Block too, their rates are fairly reasonable. It all depends on how complex your return is.

We did that one year too, not as cheap as UFile, but at the time I felt he saved me some money, as a first time customer he gave me a deal but when I paid up he told me it would be more next year. Apparently their charge is generated by the computer during the process of doing your taxes.

As great as any of the systems are I just forked over $1500 to the bandits a couple of days ago. :lol:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
We did that one year too, not as cheap as UFile, but at the time I felt he saved me some money, as a first time customer he gave me a deal but when I paid up he told me it would be more next year. Apparently their charge is generated by the computer during the process of doing your taxes.

I believe, and I may be wrong on this, that H&R Block charges with set rates by the schedule. For example, if someone has investment income of any kind, then that requires a schedule 4, so they would have a set rate for that, Donations, Medical Expenses,Child Care Expenses, Pension Income Splitting, and so on. Again, it's the level of complexity that costs you. Most individuals would probably be able to get a return prepared for $40 maybe $50, possibly less in some cases.

So yes, definitely more expensive than the software, seeing as the software you can use for multiple returns. But some people are completely at a loss when it comes to tax returns so it might be a worthwhile $40 to them.:)

As great as any of the systems are I just forked over $1500 to the bandits a couple of days ago. :lol:

You might want to try an accountant next year. Not saying it is a for sure thing, but most decent accountants will be able to provide you with a bit a tax planning advice and possibly reduce the amount you need to pay. Just a thought.