My Visits To South Nanaimo

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
The past two summers I've had the mixed fortune to visit the city of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.

I say mixed because although the trips were to pick up a trailer & boat to sportfish the offshore banks off Ucluelet I first had to find the right address and in doing so venture deep into the decrepit demoralising slum known as South Nanaimo.

The first time it was my partner driving and he got the directions wrong and we waited on the wrong street-smaller older homes with weedy lots interspersed with a number of seemingly abandoned houses that were completely boarded up.

I noted that someone had done quite a decent job of cutting plywood to size and carefully fitting it over windows and doors-I assume to keep out homeless squatters.Later someone told me those had been drug dens that were now in legal limbo and I was stunned at how many there were on different streets.

The second time was easier I knew exactly where to go and while negotiating narrow back lanes comes with the territory back yards full of huge snarling mixed breed dogs leave a poor impression overall.

The owner of the house where we picked up the boat said that the neighbour's snapping behemoths actually guarded his house/yard as well so there's always a silver lining if you look hard enough.

The boat isn't kept on site though-the owner said that would be beyond foolish as neighbourhood thugs monitored his comings & goings-he uses a fenced/barricaded lot outside town that is manned by on site security 24/7.His own house resembles a mini fortress with a number of layers of security including barred windows-it was a relief to put the truck in gear and head toward the highway.

And what a change once a person gets north of downtown-left behind are the skulking gangsters the shambling bewildered natives and the drugged out juvenile punks-instead sweeping yards, well kept lawns, and prosperous busting malls litter the landscape.

So if you read about different views of the same place that's why-posters here have the dosh to live in the right neighourhoods and can deny that the other place even exists-because there's no need for them to ever visit the place.

It's all of a piece with the way this whole country is heading-the less fortunate are seen to be at fault and putting them behind fences of steel or just buying up wherever they live/bulldozing everything flat and putting up high end high rise condos even locking them up is seen to be good for everyone.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I sense that your appreciation of South Nanaimo is waning a little. Sooner or later someone will have the area declared a heritage site, probably just when the bulldozers arrive.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The past two summers I've had the mixed fortune to visit the city of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.

I say mixed because although the trips were to pick up a trailer & boat to sportfish the offshore banks off Ucluelet I first had to find the right address and in doing so venture deep into the decrepit demoralising slum known as South Nanaimo.

The first time it was my partner driving and he got the directions wrong and we waited on the wrong street-smaller older homes with weedy lots interspersed with a number of seemingly abandoned houses that were completely boarded up.

I noted that someone had done quite a decent job of cutting plywood to size and carefully fitting it over windows and doors-I assume to keep out homeless squatters.Later someone told me those had been drug dens that were now in legal limbo and I was stunned at how many there were on different streets.

The second time was easier I knew exactly where to go and while negotiating narrow back lanes comes with the territory back yards full of huge snarling mixed breed dogs leave a poor impression overall.

The owner of the house where we picked up the boat said that the neighbour's snapping behemoths actually guarded his house/yard as well so there's always a silver lining if you look hard enough.

The boat isn't kept on site though-the owner said that would be beyond foolish as neighbourhood thugs monitored his comings & goings-he uses a fenced/barricaded lot outside town that is manned by on site security 24/7.His own house resembles a mini fortress with a number of layers of security including barred windows-it was a relief to put the truck in gear and head toward the highway.

And what a change once a person gets north of downtown-left behind are the skulking gangsters the shambling bewildered natives and the drugged out juvenile punks-instead sweeping yards, well kept lawns, and prosperous busting malls litter the landscape.

So if you read about different views of the same place that's why-posters here have the dosh to live in the right neighourhoods and can deny that the other place even exists-because there's no need for them to ever visit the place.

It's all of a piece with the way this whole country is heading-the less fortunate are seen to be at fault and putting them behind fences of steel or just buying up wherever they live/bulldozing everything flat and putting up high end high rise condos even locking them up is seen to be good for everyone.

That would be the area adjacent to Nicol St. and 3 or 4 blocks north and south of Needham St. That was Nanaimo that I knew as a kid, probably the original houses built when coal mining was the mainstay of Nanaimo, so yes there are probably many heritage houses there and I'll bet there is still some damn sound timbers in those houses that would be worth a mint. Nanaimo was we know it today is comprised of the old communities of Chase River, Northfield, Wellington and the original City of Nanaimo comprised of about 1 or 2 square miles and a population of about 15,000.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I haven't been to Montreal in 30 years. I bet if I went back it would look 30 years older.

I spent a week there 44 years ago, kind of liked the city, but the drivers were absof******glutely nuts, 50 mph was the unwritten law down the main drag (St. Cats) and the pedestrians were spry about crossing the street. :lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A bit of Nanaimo history:
Like any city Nanaimo has a history and every city has an area that the
politicians forgot about and every city has a skid road area but you can't judge a city
by that. Nanaimo is a pretty place with a lot to offer. Come over and have a look.
Most of us are proud of our city.

Nanaimo History History of Nanaimo

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I spent a week there 44 years ago, kind of liked the city, but the drivers were absof******glutely nuts, 50 mph was the unwritten law down the main drag (St. Cats) and the pedestrians were spry about crossing the street. :lol:

Do you know what Je me souviens on their license plates means?

"I can't drive".

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Do you know what Je me souviens on their license plates means?

"I can't drive".

I remember someone telling while I was there that a taxi ride in Montreal was more of a thrill than any ride they had at Expo. But we are straying, better get back to Nanaimo.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

we were in montreal for a few days about 2 years ago. A great city, I loved it, but yes, the pedestrians
just walk across any intersection, completely ignoring the signals, we felt wierd standing and waiting for
the walk signal, or just a green light, I wonder how many dead pedestrians there are each year in Montreal.

The boat isn't kept on site though-the owner said that would be beyond foolish as neighbourhood thugs It's all of a piece with the way this whole country is heading-the less fortunate are seen to be at fault and putting them behind fences of steel or just buying up wherever they live/bulldozing everything flat and putting up high end high rise condos even locking them up is seen to be good for everyone.

are sure it isn't a stolen boat, that was used to run drugs across the border, and transport immigrants,
and drop of dead bodies as well?

you must check out those little details. you shop in the wrong part of town. lol

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I remember someone telling while I was there that a taxi ride in Montreal was more of a thrill than any ride they had at Expo. But we are straying, better get back to Nanaimo.
What is downtown Nanaimo like these days? A few years back when visiting I went for brekkie downtown. At the time the Malaspina hotel was sitting in receivership and that is where the squatters and dopers lived and I watch about 50 people come out within an hour that morning.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What is downtown Nanaimo like these days? A few years back when visiting I went for brekkie downtown. At the time the Malaspina hotel was sitting in receivership and that is where the squatters and dopers lived and I watch about 50 people come out within an hour that morning.

It's been ten years since I was in Nanaimo, V.I. and #Juan are the resident experts. I can remember the days when the Malaspina Hotel was the "Conrad Hilton" of Nanaimo. I stayed there for a week or so while we were doing a project in town back in 1970. Within about one mile of the Malaspina there was about 17 beer parlours and we didn't miss many! :lol:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
My only experience with the Malaspina Hotel the creation of the world's worst hangover.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So always look on the bright side of death!
Just before you draw your terminal breath.
Life's a piece of sh*t,
When you look at it.

Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true,
You'll see it's all a show,
Keep 'em laughing as you go.
Just remember that the last laugh is on you!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

BS. That must have been more than a few years ago. Certainly not "these days". I've lived in Nanaimo for the last seven years
and before that I lived on Gabriola Island for six years, which is about five miles away. I don't deny it happened Petros but how long ago was it?