Thirty Five Dollars for a Tuque!

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Headed over to nearby Boarder Row (4th & Burrard) to look for a simple winter tuque.

Average price was $35 with some to $40 and nothing less than $25-even in the so called Discount Centre-which is of course no such thing.

WTF is the world coming to-I ask you?!

Believe me I've been in the rag trade-there less than a dollar's worth of material even in the best quality unit and manufacturing/distribution add another dollar-the rest is pure profit.

Each and every one of those (usually empty) ripoff sh!thole stores can rot in the dark-small wonder they turn over like a $5 hotel room on Saturday night.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Where are ya, Bill? Lots of em at Cdn Tire and Walmart; nowhere near that price. My wife'll knit ya one. Buy the material. What colour ya want?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
As to their being lots around I doubt many of you Guys shop much at all.
I merely asked, but you are right. I have a wife that gets off on spending money. Thankfully she's frugal (Read cheap) and also takes note of the condition of my kit and replaces as necessary.

Life is good.

Do you guys have GT boutiques (Giant Tiger) out there?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
No Walmart in Vancouver-must check out Canadian Tire next I'm in that 'hood-Thanks.

As to their being lots around I doubt most of you Guys shop much at all.

Matter of fact I do -

Last edited by a moderator:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Headed over to nearby Boarder Row (4th & Burrard) to look for a simple winter tuque.

Average price was $35 with some to $40 and nothing less than $25-even in the so called Discount Centre-which is of course no such thing.

Believe me I've been in the rag trade-there less than a dollar's worth of material even in the best quality unit and manufacturing/distribution add another dollar-the rest is pure profit.

Each and every one of those (usually empty) ripoff sh!thole stores can rot in the dark-small wonder they turn over like a $5 hotel room on Saturday night.

C'mon BB, there is nothing cheap in Kits.. You'd have better luck finding a cheap toque at Harrod's in London.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
C'mon BB, there is nothing cheap in Kits.. You'd have better luck finding a cheap toque at Harrod's in London.
Yes it was naïve of me to think that those boarder kids don't have much money to spend in those stores-they don't but their parents do.

Was he looking for a toke or a toque?
Haven't heard anyone use that 70's term since well.......the 70's I guess.

I was after a Tuque a Toque is the tall white hat restaurant Chefs wear-sorry to be the agent of your disillusionment as per SOP.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Holy ****!!! I bought a Helly Hanson touque for $25....& it's freaking awesome, &
they're not know for being inexpensive.

Light weight, made out'a some freaky material that whisks the moisture away, and
yet the warmest, most comfortable touque I've ever owned.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Insane price. I had a similar experience on Mt Washington.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Holy ****!!! I bought a Helly Hanson touque for $25....& it's freaking awesome, &

Light weight, made out'a some freaky material that whisks the moisture away, and

4.99 from Wally Mart - Thinsulate - Long, ugly but warm. i spend a lot of time outside - then inside - Froze last winter - Getting a heated vest for this winter. Gerber. Bikers use them and I heard positive reports on them. Not cheap.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I doubt if I've paid more than $5 for a tuque in my life and they are not that hard to find. Mind you I was just looking for one to keep my ears warm, wasn't interested in wearing it to help pick up chicks! :lol:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
If you really need a tuque I have a few. I get them fer free just like hats. Some from equipment suppliers some from fire training courses. Tee shirts too. Actually that is why we volunteer, just to get free cloths cause it beats hell out of shopping.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
No Walmart in Vancouver-must check out Canadian Tire next I'm in that 'hood-Thanks.

As to their being lots around I doubt most of you Guys shop much at all.

Hey...............I resent that eh. 8O I shop for my own clothes. My wife won't go into "those stores" that sell codpieces, etc.

I hit value village, sally ann, and used goodies at least twice a month, check the grocery fliers, patrol the lanes for "in stores", buy all me tools at "reuse", electric lights at the Real Deal, do the heavy lifting when frozen turkeys are on sale, haunt Payless shoes when they have a buy one get one free. Regularly meet all me old wingers in Second Time Around, we shop for a bit, then hit the Legion and get hammered. If we didn't shop sales, couldn't afford the beer. Yer RONG Bill..............just RONG!! :lol:............eh.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
My wife just bought one for our grand daughter for $2 at Dollarama and the Bargain Store has scads of them in the $4-$5 price range.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Oh yeah, I worked outdoors, in Saskatchewan, doing 12hr shifts, through the last winter.
I swear by my touque. It's plain looking, and the cost isn't due to it having a Canadian
Flag or a Nike checkmark on it. I know I might sound like a Spammer here, but the
Helly Hanson stuff got me through that last winter comfortably. I buy mine at the
local Peavy Mart.